1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Taylor Hawkins Tribute Concert

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, Sep 3, 2022.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Anybody watching this? I just tuned in. It's on now. You can catch the livestream on YouTube if you search. It's at Wembley Stadium in London, UK. It's a packed house and I imagine it's going to go on for several hours. I think there is a trimmed version of the concert on CBS tonight as well from what I was reading. The Pretenders are playing now with Dave Grohl on bass guitar. I'm waiting on Alex and Geddy of Rush to perform with Dave and another drummer guy. They were rehearsing in Toronto earlier in August. :)

OMG...they just played "Brass in Pocket" and I was just watching "Lost in Translation" last night where Scarlett Johannson performed that song during the karaoke scene. Talking about Deja Vu!!! It looks like each artist is playing two songs.

Whole Show:

#1 Surfguy, Sep 3, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
  2. Surfguy

Next up....The James Gang with Joe Walsh reformed after 15 years to play just for this gig.

Wow...Joe Walsh still has "IT!". Looks like they are playing at least 3 songs. This is great music so far!

Now, Dave Grohl has joined them on drums sharing duties with their band's drummer. Sweet!

#2 Surfguy, Sep 3, 2022
  3. Surfguy

Now, we got Lars Ulrich on drums, Brian Johnson of AC/DC singing, and members of Foo Fighters playing guitars (along with their keyboard player on keys). They are playing "Back in Black" right now. Wow!

Now playing "Let There Be Rock".

It must be really humid in Wembley. Lars played two songs and he was drenched in sweat. The weather site shows it's around 68 - 70 degres with 61% humidity.

#3 Surfguy, Sep 3, 2022
  4. Surfguy

Next up...Stewart Copeland on drums playing something (?) with Foo Fighters. Then, they played "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" by The Police

#4 Surfguy, Sep 3, 2022
  5. Surfguy

Never fear...RUSH IS HERE!!!! ON NOW!!! Starting off with "2112" with Dave on drums!

Ooooh....transitioned into "Working Man"...the song they retired the band with.

Ged sounds pretty dang good on vocals after such a long layoff. I notice Alex and Ged are looking at their instruments a lot more while they play. I guess that's the rust and the fading of the muscle memory.

After some emotional words from Ged that also mentioned Neil showing a picture of Neil and Taylor together on the back screen, they kicked now into "YYZ". Oops...sounds like Alex hit a wrong note or two. It's okay! We forgive you! Not the tightest version of "YYZ" we've heard but pretty good.

And, that's that. Rush has now completed the 2nd leg of their tour. Third leg of tour in LA for the second Taylor tribute show. First leg was South Park 25th concert. Then, back to retirement. lol

#5 Surfguy, Sep 3, 2022
  6. Surfguy

We now got Roger Taylor and Brian May of "Queen" playing with Taylor's son (oops...not! Looks like Taylor but it is Rufus Taylor...son of Roger Taylor...lol) and two other drummers (including Roger) with Foo Fighter guitarists in support and some singer who I am not sure who it is. They are playing an upbeat weird version of "We Will Rock You".

Now playing a very good version of "Under Pressure"....one of Taylor's favorites he used to sing with Foos.

Sam Ryder performing now with Queen and Foos singing "Somebody to Love". He sounds incredible.

Brian playing solo "Love Of My Life" with crowd singing. Making me cry as my Mom loved this song and Queen.

#6 Surfguy, Sep 3, 2022
  7. Surfguy

Looks like, to end the show, it's Foo Fighters starting with "Times Like These". First time without Taylor. Dave seemed to be emotional at first. Not sure who is on drums there. Yea...Dave is struggling to keep it together here. Very emotional. He's crying now. So sad!

I wonder if this is the new Foos drummer playing? I wish I knew who it was. Bass drum has a picture of Olivia-Newton John on it.

Now, kicked into "All My Life". Dave hasn't looked back at the drums once. He finally turned around and looked.

Oh...they are rotating drummers so I guess no new Foos drummer. Now playing "The Pretender" with Travis Barker on drums. This has turned into a Foo Fighters concert!

Now on to "Monkey Wrench".

New drummer...12 year old Nandi Bushell who challenged Dave to a drum battle on social media. Song being played is "Learn to Fly". Nandi has grown up a little. Maybe 13 now? Neil Peart and Taylor Hawkins picture on her bass drum. I think Nandi should be the Foos new drummer. Maybe too young?

New drummer...Rufus Taylor. Now playing "One of These Days". Next song up..."Best of You".

This is weird how this has turned into a full Foo Fighters show. It's almost like they are having to play to extricate Taylor from their system so they can continue as a band.

New guests...Chrissie Hynde (from the Pretenders) and Paul McCartney (on bass) with Foos...playing an old song of Paul's he hasn't played in a long time..."Oh! Darling" by The Beatles. Waiting on a drummer to show up...drummer is Omar Hakim (who drummed on "YYZ" with Rush earlier). New song..."Helter Skelter".

Off go Paul and Chrissie. Omar stays on drums. New song is "Aurora"...which was Taylor's favorite Foos song.

Yea...Foos is going to be alright! Music heals all!

Last drummer to play with Foos tonight...Taylor's son...Shane Hawkins. Song is "My Hero". Wow...this kid definitely has Taylor's chops and flare! Would be a great story if he could take over drum duties for Dad in Foo Fighters!

Last song appears to be Dave playing solo..."Everlong"...dedicated to Taylor. What a great f-ing show! Didn't catch the early part of the show so not sure what happened there.

All the performers came to the stage at the end. Geddy and Alex got to meet Paul f-ing McCartney. MIND BLOWN!!!!

Love you, Taylor!!!

#7 Surfguy, Sep 3, 2022
    peleincubus and Dr of Dunk like this.
  8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Breh Liam !

Surfguy likes this.
  9. Surfguy

Would have been quite something if both Liam and Noel came back together to perform together for this tribute show. That would be asking and expecting way too much I guess.

I was expecting Robert Plant to show up (not really) but he's in Dallas performing with Alison Krauss tonight. Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones would have been a cool addition tonight given they have played with Foos before.

#9 Surfguy, Sep 3, 2022
    BigM and tinman like this.
  10. Surfguy

Wolfgang Van Halen appeared earlier in the show:

Wolfgang rocking "Hot for Teacher"! WOW! He showed some major Dad skills on that guitar solo!

11. Surfguy

One thing this show impressed upon me is just how insanely talented Dave Grohl's daughter Violet is as a singer. She's like an angel. The crowd was super-impressed as well judging by the applause. She's really come along. What a singer! I remember her performing with her Dad before but she was younger.

12. Surfguy

Uh oh...someone didn't have permission to post those nice clips.

13. Buck Turgidson

The full concert is streaming on Paramount, I'll have to check it out one of these days.

14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

You’d have to get the Beatles back together to find Noel on stage with Liam again.

I probably won’t watch much of this but I enjoyed your commentary.

jiggyfly likes this.
  15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yoko broke up the Beatles
    John’s fault for letting her sing
    Unforgivable

team Paul

BigM likes this.
  16. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

I was reading on Twitter and somebody posted this.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Wow his son is great that was awesome -- what a moment for him and the family (everyone really).

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I never was a Foo Fighters fan so didn’t watch the concert. That lineup though looked pretty impressive.

19. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member