1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Taking advantage of Yao's mid-range threat?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MrButtocks, Dec 12, 2005.

1. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Yao is a very smart player. also his passing ability and his creativity is going so wasted it makes me fume. JVG has should resort to bringing yao and parking his humongus frame at some stectches of games at the high post and let him be creative. yao has the potential to be a 6 assist per game player. we should try to model his game around the great sabonis.

2. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

that's coachable.

3. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

I agree to a large extent.

Yao's basketball IQ though higher than say someone like Stevie's is still not high enough as advertised.

His mid range passing and shooting is below avreage as well. I wish this was otherwise but I am just trying to be as unprejudiced as possible even though he is a Rocket and I badly want him to succeed.

I will continue to remain optiistic and believe that he will improve steadily and upwardly as he get these games under his belt.

I still believe.

4. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Utterly surreal. But glad you're still hopeful.

5. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

that's right. yao was an accomplished jump shooter but van gundy beat that out of him. i wish he could go back to shooting more. not exclusively, but enough to keep teams off balance. it's downright stupid to let that talent go to waste. i miss having a more offensive minded coach. not one totally indifferent to deffense but just more offensive oriented as well. even thought they have won the last three games, they still don't look great offensively.

6. Panda

Panda Member

One caveat in Yao's post play is his turnaround jumpers. When he fades away from the basket the release point is often about 12 feet away. If he hits that shot with consistency, there won't be much dropoff for mid range jumpers. I'd rather Yao take a mid range jumper with his face to the basket than a turnaround. He should use his hook shots in the post as much as possible.