1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Take out your Rocket frustrations on Randy Moss

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bobrek, Dec 5, 2001.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Now here's a guy who deserves to get booed.

http://www.tennessean.com/sports/titans/archives/01/11/11098915.shtml?Element_ID=11098915

Vikings receiver Randy Moss has made two things clear during his four-year NFL career: He plays when he wants to play, and he talks to the media when he wants to talk to the media.
    Today, Moss was in the mood for talking to the media and took part in a conference call with reporters who cover the Titans. Aside from a single one-on-one interview two weeks ago, Moss hasn't spoken members of the Minnesota media since early in the season. The Vikings play host to the Titans on Sunday. After scoring three touchdowns in the Vikings' 28-16 victory over the Giants on Nov. 19, Moss raised eyebrows when he said, ''I play when I want to play. Do I play up to my top performance, my ability every time? Maybe not. … I play when I want to play, case closed.''

Today, addressing those comments for the first time, Moss was asked if his comments were perhaps misunderstood or taken out of context. ''Hell no, that [expletive] is what I said,'' Moss said. ''When I want to play I'll play. There is nobody on the face of this earth to make me go out here and play football, you know what I am saying? ''I can go out on the field and suit up and go out there and stand on the sideline and play. But play at my highest level? I don't know. When I want to go out there and play at my highest level I'll do that.'' Moss has been heavily criticized since the Nov. 19 remarks, which were made to Minneapolis Star Tribune columnist Sid Hartman. ''I think the people around here in Minneapolis are just jealous because I don't give them the time of day or the pleasure to interview me, you know what I'm saying? Because I think they are full of [expletive],'' Moss said. ''I think that is just a little jealousy of Randy Moss talking and not talking to all the media, just picking out one individual to say a couple of things to. I think it was a lot of jealously that I didn't talk to the media and I don't talk to the media here in Minneapolis. I feel that was some jealousy and also with us losing them trying to find a story to get things stirred up, that's what that was about.'' Asked what kind of feedback he's received from Vikings fans, Moss replied: ''Nah, nah. I don't think nobody is going to say [expletive],'' he said. ''I think if fans start talking to me then I'll lose sight of being Randy Moss the football player and go to Randy Moss the street person and then getting somebody's a.., so I don't really listen to that.'' Moss, a Pro Bowl selection each of his first three seasons, has 61 catches for 878 yards and seven touchdowns this season. He has played a good part of the season on an injured ankle. Moss said it's tough to bring the same intensity level to the football stadium week in and week out. ''It is actually hard to be able to … come in here on an emotional high to play 16 regular season games at your highest level. That's hard to do,'' Moss said. ''Some games you might see guys giving it their all, the next week you might see them get beat for a touchdown or give up a sack or miss a tackle or something like that and people wondering, 'Well what happened to that guy?' Man, it's hard. ''To people on the outside looking in at things and saying things … With me, as an individual or as a team player, my team knows that I am going to come out there and help them win in any type of way.''

2. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

What a loser.

3. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I would like to see Moss run a short slant across the middle, catch the pass, and have his body snapped in two by Robert Brazile...errrr...Godfrey :cool:

4. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

At least he's truthful. I bet a lot of players are like this but don't admit it for the fear of what people think and how it might effect their "stock". How many people go to work and never are in a bad mood and are completely consistent in every aspect of their job? Its tough. Sure they are paid millions, but you get desensitized after so long and it just becomes a job. Can anyone really hold one aspect of their life above everything/everyone else for over 20 years and not once, ever, lose site of that aspect? Day in and day out can they be completely passionate about it , just like the first day they did it?...if so...what kind of man do they become after that 20 years is up? Anyone who can do this is a better man than me...and obviously, Randy Moss. I don't think he's being very cordial about it.

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Vikings: When we want to pay we'll pay. There is nobody on the face of this earth to make us go out there and pay you for football, you know what I am saying? ''We can go out to the office and grab a cup of coffee and go out there and sit in our chairs and pay. But pay at our highest level? I don't know. When I want to go out there and pay at my highest level I'll do that.

6. BobFinn*

SRF, they play one freakin game a week. 16 games (more if playoffs are played) in a <b>YEAR!!!</b> They <b>DON"T</b> go to work every day like most people.

7. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Sad thing is, that Moss could be our starting SF right now.

8. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

At least he isn't Terrel Owens.

9. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Terrell Owens plays hard every week; so he's an *******, big deal. Barkley's a country ******* and most love him.

10. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

I don't like what Barry Bon.. errr, Randy Moss said, but don't try to belittle what most NFL players go through.

You say they "don't go to work every day like most people", but have you ever heard of practice. Have you ever gone through a practice? Also, what about all the off-season, and pre-season training camps? Those are no trip to the cheesecake factory (?? dunno where that came from).

Sure, they get a lot of time off, but so do fire fighters, and you don't see people complaining about them.

11. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

That's because firefighters actually risk their lives to perform a valuable service(as opposed to providing entertainment).....and get paid peanuts for it. Moss comes across as the typical whining primaddona sports star.....what a loser....

12. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Sure he has all those other things like practice and conditioning and all that, but he's talking solely about those 16 days a year where he plays in an actual game. Few would care if he didn't give 100% in his practices and conditioning some of the time. He's only asked to give his all 16 times per year.

But I could understand how that could be hard to do, especially in such a team sport where the attitudes, quality of play, etc. of other players can have an effect on you. Add in that you're team isn't doing so hot this year, and it would be easy to get frustrated and not want to give 100% on the field in all those games.

13. bobrek

Moss readily admitted he is ONLY talking about games.

<b>"It's actually hard to be able to come up 16 regular-season games," Moss said. "I'm not counting the weeks. I'm counting the regular-season games. I'm excluding preseason and training camp. </b>

So in other words (keeping in mind he makes around 8 million a year), he cannot give 100% for around 90 minutes a week (wall clock, less than 30 minutes real time) for 16 weeks.

14. Nomar

Nomar Member

At least he isnt Terrel Owens???

Riiight.

Terrel Owens is the hardest working player in the league, a true gamer who lives for Sunday. He plays with more intensity than anybody.

15. Desert Scar

Ya'll must be talking about a different Terrel Owens. I am talking about the one who calls out the coach who re-built a sorry ass team into a decent one and who has a penchant for dropping balls like the one that cost his team the Bears' game.

The Terrel Owens I am talking about is a good player, but total fool and giant ******* whose antics detract from his team. The guy ya'll are talking about sounds a lot more like #80 now playing for the Raiders.

I would take Randy Moss on my team any day over Terrel Owens. I would rather have the guy that alienates the media/fans over someone who alienates his coach/team. It seems Barry Bonds is a remarkable player with an equally remarkable ability do both such feats (alienate fans, media, teammates, etc.), but that is another thread.

16. bobrek

There are a number of "unnamed" Vikings who are disgusted with Moss and his antics. I'd say that he has alienated at least some of them. In addition, while Denny Green won't specifically discuss Moss' comments, he implicitly takes shots at them. Green is being portrayed both locally and nationally as someone who has lost control of his team mainly due to the antics of Moss. I would venture to say that Green is, at the very least, privately alienated.

17. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

I used to be a fan of Moss, but that's been slowly fading away. It's almost gone now. What a freakin' joke. You've been given incredible gifts, a great career, and have national fame as a star. At least go out there and try your best to give the fans something back and quit acting like a damn punk.

18. Desert Scar

I am not "defender" of Moss. Just pointing out he isn't the only superstar with lacking qualities out there. Sure, Terrel Owens does play with a lot of intensity, but then so does Rasheed Wallace.

19. BobFinn*

Show me a firefighter that makes as much money as Moss.

20. Nomar

Nomar Member

Terrel Owens. 5th in reception, 2nd in yards, 1st in touchdowns, and his team is in 1st place.

The whole point is that even though he is an arrogant *******, at least he doesnt let it affect his play or his team, unlike Moss.