1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tad Brown on TNT, Shaq and Barkley

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jan 9, 2015.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It doesn't make him wrong in some criticisms, but it does make him incredibly unprofessional.

At halftime the Rockets were working over the Knicks and James Harden was in beast mode. He had put on a display of stunning wizardry with the ball with crazy euro steps, freezing step back jumpers and outstanding passing. Yet when they go to the studio Ernie even says something like "Since we are talking about Rockets I'm sure Shaq has something to say" after Barkley said he didn't want to even talk about the team. Shaq then begins to berate Dwight.

It just doesn't make sense.

Can you imagine an NFL studio crew spending their entire segment bashing Marshawn Lynch at halftime of a Seahawks game if he only has 10 yards while Russel Wilson has 4 touchdowns?

1 person likes this.
  2. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Barkley also dislikes friends playing with friends in todays NBA....but, before the trade to Houston he was openly discussing that the Rockets should try and get Gary Payton to join them too.

3. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I remember being called a whiner and what not for complaining about this stuff.

Told you guys.

Meh, it doesn't matter in the end. After all Barkley said that we are an 8th seed at best at the start of the season (had us missing the playoffs basically...) and if we are healthy we are definitely not that.

BUT this DOES affect things. TNT is part of the media...the media votes on end of the year awards...so ask yourself this, if the Rockets move up to 3rd seed by the end of the year and Harden has a strong case for MVP, you think those guys are voting for Harden? Do you think that those guys opinions might sway others in the media about who to vote for these prestigious awards?

5. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

One of Chucksters finest moments...:eek:

6. lexled

lexled Contributing Member

I like Barkley, he cracks me up. That line about the women in San Antonio being fat, classic. So what if he doesnt like the Rockets? Not everybody is going to like us, thats life. Kenny usually takes up for the Rockets. Shaq is kinda funny too, I agreed with his take last night about Dwight not pummeling whoever that guy was that was on the Knicks. I cant remember his name, which means Dwight should school that guy. I dont always agree with what these guys say, but sometimes I do. I think its an entertaining group of guys and Ernie does a good job of moderating. They are just talking heads on the tv people, dont give them too much credit.

7. alethios

alethios Member

Shaq will always be salty because he fashions himself as Superman, or in his words, "son of Jor'el" and despises Dwight for trying to steal that persona from him.

I do think, however that Shaq will cut Dwight some slaq when he wins a championship with this team.

Barkley is just a two-legged version of the animal he had to kiss, so it's not wrong for him to kiss his own kind.

Sidenote: I wonder what happened between him and Tiger?

8. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Tiger stopped talking to most of his friends after his personal matters

9. varughese.arun

Someone may have stated this already, but...

Barkley once said on a TNT game broadcast that: "Les Alexander still owes me some money." If i remember correctly, this was during the time that D. Howard was with the Lakers, and everyone was speculating on where D12 would go. Barkley was telling D12 to be careful where he goes. He inferring that he was promised some money by les- alexander, and that he was eventually not paid that money.

IM GUESSING that Barkley was given a lesser contract just to satisfy the "books", and Les MAY have told him that if he comes Rockets, on a smaller contract, contingent with any other requirements Les proposed (going to the finals maybe), then Les would pay him funds that was not detailed in Barkley's contract (under the table).

Basically Barkley said on TNT that he didn't get what he was promised by Les.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you are just happy i'm replying to you because you dream of being a hakeem level poster.

you don't know crap about charles barkley's feud with Les , so go back to cleaning the dorm room toilets.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the Rockets signed Scottie Pippen to a max deal and Barkley took the league minimum , supposedly Les said he'd be compensated later for that move.

Salaries
    Rk Player Salary
    1 Hakeem Olajuwon $12,943,000
    2 Scottie Pippen $11,000,000
    3 Brent Price $2,240,000
    4 Charles Barkley $1,000,000
    5 Michael Dickerson $949,600
    6 Bryce Drew $857,000
    7 Sam Mack $545,000
    8 Anthony Miller $475,000
    9 Cuttino Mobley $287,500

12. varughese.arun

Beri Naice

Nicely done!
    Yeah, I didn't know that Barkley had signed for the Minimum- wow!
    I'd like to believe that Les had also placed some stipulations to get the "under the table money." Maybe that Barkely would have to take the Rockets to the championships. Instead of taking us to the championship, BARKLEY DID NOT SWITCH ON THE PICK, and STOCKTON HIT A 3 TO TAKE THE JAZZ TO THE FINALS! That was the rocket's opportunity to BEAT JORDAN IN THE FINALS! AHhh...Thanks Barkley- still hurts!

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Didn't he get paid 9 million dollar per his last 2 seasons with us?

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

From what I remember it's only like $3 million that he thinks he was screwed out of.

15. rockbox

Actually it was his last season which was twice as much as he was ever paid in his career. Barkley never got the big max contact that Dream, MJ, Pippen, Malone got at the end of their career. He could have easily have gotten it on the open market so I can understand him being a little bitter.

16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Shaq would be effective in any era. He was huge and surprisingly athletic and quick for his size. But I think the modern rules would affect him. Both of those guys used to catch the ball then just back it in. Back it in. Back it in - using their very large posteriors to accomplish this. You just can't play basketball like that anymore. There was no zone defense. There was no 3 second rule in the paint if I recall. Nowadays you have to be very quick with your moves once you catch the ball in the post. Neither of them were generally that.

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Only. :cool:

18. marky :)

marky :) Member

When did the 3 second rule appear? I feel like it was around when Shaq was playing.

19. rockbox

You don't remember the 90's and Shaq very well. If anything, Shaq was very quick with his move. He never hesitated because no one could stop including Dream. Shaq also had amazing footwork and hands. You couldn't front him like you could front Yao which is why Shaq abused Yao until he was completely over the hill. His only weakness was free throw shooting.

20. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

Good find, thanks.

I would imagined there were some incentives in that, that Barkley never met. Being eliminated in the first round to LA will do it.