1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Tacoma News Tribune] Lamb for Cruz Jr trade in the works?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Dec 11, 2004.

1. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Right, I was mentioning him as the 4th outfielder. I don't think anyone is going to throw alot of money at him.

2. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Mike Lamb is better, younger, and cheaper than Cruz Jr. Just say no.

3. msn

msn Member

I would. In a heartbeat. In *half* a heartbeat. Lane's nice, but he's no Podsednik. The deal-breaker is that the Brewers aren't that stupid.

4. Milos

Milos Member

I think Lane for Podsednick sounds about right.

The guy's not exactly a proven commodity yet...he had one very good year on a last place team, but he was never a top prospect and is relatively old for a guy who just completed his first full year in the majors.

If Lane had the same opportunity Pods had with the Brew Crew last year, I'd estimate he would have hit around .290 w/ 25-30 HRs and 90-100 RBI. That's worth about as much as the .244-12-39 with 70 SB that Podsednik put up as the leadoff man last year.

If I'm the Astros and this deal is possible, I do it in a heartbeat, regardless of the Beltran situation. If Carlos leaves, he can step right in at CF and leadoff for a modest cost and we can find some power with another corner outfielder. If Carlos stays, he can fill in at all three outfield positions while Lance is out, then form a great platoon with Bidge in LF.

Just imagine this lineup:

Podsednik
    Biggio/Burke
    Beltran
    Bagwell
    Berkman
    Ensberg/Lamb
    Ausmus
    Everett

5. msn

msn Member

Exactly. I'd do it in a New York minute. I don't think as highly of Lane as you do, however. I don't see him getting quite those numbers on the ML level.

6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Either way, once you get past the #6 hitter, the pitcher can relax, and the Astros fans can get an early jump on the rest room line.

7. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I'd like to see it...Jr. in CF vs. Lane, anyday...

8. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Podsednik was just traded to the White Sox for Carlos Lee.

9. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

I dont think it will be a good trade but I wouldnt mind screaming CRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUZZZZZ again! Like we used to for his dad back in the day.