1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Tacoma News Tribune] Lamb for Cruz Jr trade in the works?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Dec 11, 2004.

1. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

I believe they are talking about Podsednik as a backup plan if Beltran leaves.

2. edc

edc Contributing Member

Remember, the GM has changed...

3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Hopefully, we can get Beltran and Cruz jr.

Then have Cruz Jr play right field, and move Berkman to left field to play the smaller field in LF.

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I as well would absolutely love to sign Podsednick. Every time I see that guy play, he seems to do something that really impresses me, and he is pretty young to boot. If it worked out that we couldn't retain Beltran, I would be content with Podsednick.

5. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Podsednik is not a free agent, it would take a trade to land him.

6. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Cruz Jr is a Gold Glove defender, who can also hit for above average power -- especially in Minute Maid. I'd certainly rather have him in the lineup than Jason Lane.

Plus he went to Rice.

7. RocketFan007

He should have never won that Gold Glove, it should have been given to Hidalgo. Above average power? He hasn't hit more than 21 homers since 2001. Plus he's a career .250 hitter who's struck out more than 100 times in 6 of his last 8 seasons, including his last 5. The other two seasons he struck out 91 and 99 times. I'd rather give Lane the oppurtunity to prove himself then give up Lamb for Cruz Jr.

8. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Cruz Jr hit 34 homers in 2001 and 31 in 2000. He won the Gold Glove. He has hometown ties. His father is the first base coach. He seems to be a good fit.

9. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yep, and a career BA of .250 with a career OBP of .336. Fits in great with the current team.

Richard Hidalgo hit 44 HR in 2000. What does it matter now?

10. RocketFan007

T_J, Cruz had good seasons in 2000 and 2001, but has been pretty bad since then. Here are his last three seasons:

2002- .245 18 HR 70 RBI
    2003- .250 20 HR 68 RBI
    2004- .242 21 HR 78 RBI

I think that given 500 ABs, Lane would give us at least those numbers, and at least we wouldn't have to give up Lamb. Home town ties and family history just don't do it for me.

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

"Yes, but..." Bigg and Ens both will hopefully be spelled against some righties and otherwise. There could be 200 ABs each for Viz and Burke.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The '03 ROY and fan fav in Brewerland? Can't be on the market...or am I confusing him with someone else???

13. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

I was surprised, too, but check out the article below. They did trade Kolb right after this article came out. They got some starting pitching from that deal (although it's not immediate help). This article says they're also looking for a RF with pop. I think Jason Lane's the only guy we have who fits that description. Not sure I'd trade him for Pod.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brew/dec04/283123.asp

Melvin willing to listen
    Podsednik, Kolb drawing interest
    By TOM HAUDRICOURT

Anaheim, Calif. - It’s not that Milwaukee Brewers general manager Doug Melvin is eager to trade centerfielder Scott Podsednik or closer Dan Kolb.

But if teams are inquiring about them, what does it hurt to listen?

“Clubs have called and asked about them,” Melvin said Friday after arriving at baseball’s winter meetings. “I’ve got to be open to it.

“The only guy I’ve really said is untouchable is Ben Sheets. I’m not motivated to move certain players but in our position I have to look at it.”

There are obvious reasons to keep both players. Podsednik batted only .244 with a poor on-base percentage of .313 last season but led the majors with 70 stolen bases and played in 154 games.

For a team on a limited budget, Podsednik also is something of a bargain with a $550,000 salary in 2005 and $1.9 million in 2006.

Kolb made the NL all-star team last season, compiling a 2.98 earned run average in 64 appearances and setting the franchise record with 39 saves. Though eligible for salary arbitration after making $1.5 million in 2004, he remains affordable for the Brewers, who expect to have a payroll of about $40 million.

But Melvin is in search of a right-handed-hitting rightfielder with pop as well as young starting pitching to plug in his rotation, and you have to give up something to get something. At this point, Podsednik and Kolb appear to be drawing the most interest.

After losing out Friday on free agent Steve Finley, the San Francisco Giants remain on the hunt for a centerfielder.
    And the Chicago Cubs have interest in Kolb after watching their late-inning relief self-destruct last season.

Asked about his willingness to trade either player, Melvin said: “It would be a little harder. But you have to look at how things are next year and two or three years down the road.”

Melvin said the Brewers were not in the running for free-agent third baseman Corey Koskie, whose price tag is too high. Melvin said he was still talking with the agent for right-hander Matt Clement, but the market is getting away from the Brewers there as well, with similar pitchers signing for $7 million to $8 million a year.

The Detroit Tigers requested a meeting with the Brewers’ contingent later Friday evening, presumably about Podsednik. The Tigers are looking for an upgrade in center after souring on Alex Sanchez, who lost his job to Podsednik in 2003 and was traded to Detroit.

14. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I have no problem with Cruz Jr. being brought in and I really don't think a journeyman like Lamb is too high a price too pay. Cruz should return to better numbers with a much more potent lineup and thereofre better protection than what he had in Tampa Bay. What I really wish is the Stros to find someone to be a regular at 3B it seems we've been a revolving door there for the last decade. This move IMO would be more a bandaid for Berkman then a replacement for Beltran. I'd be pretty happy with a future outfield of Cruz, Beltran and Berkman after Biggio retires and is there still consideration to put Berkman at first once Bagwell goes?

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

That article brings up a good question:

WHAT HAVE THE CUBS DONE TO ADDRESS THEIR BULLPEN?? What quality closers are left out there for them to acquire??

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Latoya Hawkins will make a big comeback... Dusty Baker believes in him.

Also, Dusty Baker believes Bonds didn't know he was taking steroids.

Also, Dusty Baker believes that his teams play better with a chip on their shoulder.

Also, Dusty Baker still beleives that his team would have been the team nobody wanted to face in the playoffs... unless they were going to play the Mets and the Reds, where in that case, the cubbies would have folded like a cheap suit.

17. RocketFan007

Last week either Jayson Stark or Peter Gammons said that the Cubs had kicked around the idea of xonverting Kerry Wood to a closer.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

holy crap!!! please do this, cubs!!!! please, please, please do this. do it right after you let Clement slip away to the Angels.

i'm begging you!!

i never thought i would dislike a team more than the Cardinals. but Dusty's Cubs have proven me wrong. even in the wake of the Cards beating my beloved Astros in game 7 of the NLCS...i still find i have my ill feelings about the whiny baby bears than the Cards.

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Would Wade - SP work...for anyone?

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Home - .322 avg., 24 hr, 68 rbi, 1.057 OPS

Away - .244 avg., 13 hr, 42 rbi, .775 OPS

It think the away stats are closer to his career averages. He has never had a season with better than a .283 avg.

That said, I would much rather have him coming off the bench than Orlando Palmeiro. Plus, he is a hometown kid (from Conroe). We haven't had a power guy off the bench in some time.