1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Tacoma News Tribune] Lamb for Cruz Jr trade in the works?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Dec 11, 2004.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Ex-Mariner Jose Cruz Jr. is on the market again. The much-traveled outfielder has played for Seattle, Toronto, San Francisco and Tampa Bay, and the Devil Rays are now trying to move him to Houston for third baseman Mike Lamb. …

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/mariners/story/4312228p-4095231c.html

Mike Lamb is a great hitter but I rather give up Ensberg. I also heard Astros may have called a press conference today maybe for this.

2. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Im sure with having his son playing here in his hometown is going to be great for Cruz.

Not only that it might really help Jr. play even better. I would welcome a deal like that. It would bolster our outfield a great deal.

3. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I don't know if I'd want to give up Lamb for Cruz, I'm just not that impressed with him, he hit .242 last year.

astros.com mentioned that the Astros had mentioned Jeromy Burnitz as a possibility. I think I'f rather sign him as a free agent, then trade for Cruz. Last year in Colorado, Burnitz hit .283 with 37 homers and 110 RBI.

4. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I'm afraid of anyone coming off a big year in Colorado.

5. Stack24

I don't want to have Burnitz to be honest. the guy did well last year but that's becasue he played half of his games in Colorado.

His stats are really inflated because of playing there and i would not want to waste my money on it.

HR

Home - 23
    Away - 12

AVG

Home - .322
    Away - .244

he is just like Vinny Castilla and the other slew of players that got inflated numbers playing there and then got big contracts only to do nothing else in the league.

I will pass on him.

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

deleted.

i was gonna say there was a press conference at five. maybe its for that.

then is saw the other thread.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

If true, then...Bigg 2B and Viz/Burke back up 2nd and 3rd?

8. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Burnitz would be better but he wants a Steve Finely like deal and this not gonna happen especially with Astros.

I wonder why they are trying to trade for Cruz Jr.? They had plently of opportunities to acquire as a free agent and you know he would have given the Astros a home town discount (which they always count on). I wonder if this more a PR thing in case Beltran signs w/ the NY Yanks.

9. RocketFan007

I doubt the Astros are going to have Burke sitting on the bench. He's either the Astros opening day second baseman or he's back to New Orleans.

10. Stack24

I am sure they are going to do their best to get a bunch of decent talent in here on the chance that Beltran does bolt out of here. They are going to have to save face and give fans a reason to come to the games.

I really think if Mclain really thought about it he would see the benefit of paying Beltran the money. Just to have so many more fans come out to the games he is automatically going to make more money.

All the novice fans out there know who Beltran is now and will come out to see him and have a reason to.

There was once a time that Biggio and Bagwell was enough to draw that crowd but it is not happening anymore.

This year having Clemens brought in the crowds and Beltran made himself a house hold name.

You bring those two guys back or just Beltran it really gives the people in the city someone to come see with great skills.

More ticket sales = more consession sales = more merchandise sales = more money for Drayton = Justifying Beltrans costs.

11. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Say NO - Jose Cruz JR.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

I'm guessing Cruz is our backup plan should Beltran not sign. Because Cruz is certainly a less useful bench player than Lamb. But he would be much more useful in a starting situation.

On a side note, what's up with the Devil Rays wanting our 3rd base competitions with Ensberg? :p If the trade goes through, does Ensberg finally get to start full time instead of sitting after every 3-game slumps?

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Having 2/3 of our outfield being Rice Owls would be outstanding!

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

What more does CB have to prove @AAA?

15. RocketFan007

He doesn't have anything to prove, but why should be just be sitting on the bench in the majors when he could be getting at bats and playing everyday in New Orleans. It's just not a good situation for a young player to sit on the bench, and not get consistent ABs.

16. RocketFan007

Jayson Stark also mentioned that Scott Podsednik as one player the Astros have discussed as a fall back option. I perfer him to Cruz, Alou and Burnitz by a long shot.

#16 RocketFan007, Dec 11, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2004
  17. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

No way Jose!

Sorry, I just really, really wanted to say that. :D

18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

scott podsednik would be a badass pickup. if beltran resigns that would be a superfast 1-2. i don't want burnitz at all and would be ok with cruz only if beltran and/or alou don't sign.

19. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Beltran/Posednik/Berkman would be a great outfield. You could also pencil in the Astros for a hundred steals next year.

20. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Podsednik is badass. I would take him in a heartbeak. We'd have some speed in the outfield as well as some ridiculous steal numbers. Talk about having man on 2nd and 3rd everytime bagwell comes up to the plate. :D