1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

T-mac Or kObe?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by MagicFan, Jun 4, 2002.

1. MagicFan

MagicFan Member

can i just point out that Tmac has absolutely no one on his team to help him?
    no one! no one to rebound on one to hit a shot when he's struggling no one to play defense.
    Kobe has shaq a consistent 2nd scorer.
    Tmac lights up arenas all over the country and he still loses. IMO he deserved the MVP cause without him the magic are the bulls so to speak.
    Who's Better Kobe or Tmac?
    definetly Tmac :)

i am sick of people saying its kobe. without saying why.
    i want to know why.

2. Evol

Evol Member

Kobe...Why? Because he used GOD's Blueprint to become the best in the league. :D

3. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Kobe.

If T-Mac could play more defense (he can when he WANTS to), then I'd say it's even.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

T-Mac's got a lotta talent, but when he talks smack about how he's the best player in the series and that the other team unable to stop him and then later whines how Baron Davis has backup, what else are you supposed to think about him?

He's considered to be a better Pippenesque player because he can dominate on both ends, but like someone else said, he doesn't go on D all the time and sometimes saves it for the other end of the floor.

T-Mac's arrogance is just like the other Jordanaire Paul Pierce. They got to shut up and play.

I watch Kobe more than the other guys, so I can't give an accurate comparison. Kobe does the trash talking on court and leaves the drama on the court. He rarely singles out other players to the press. He backs up his cockiness with his actions, not words.

And that stuff about McGrady not having backup? Next season, Grant Hill comes back... Maxing for two players who play the same position isn't that bright an idea by John Gabriel is it?

5. drapg

drapg Member

agree 100% with ya Invisible Fan!

I used to be an AI fan as well, until his a$$anine comments about "practice man, we talkin' about practice"... think i'll toss out my Iverson jersey now...

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Kobe.

I can't stand the guy (get your own personality, dude; PLAY like Mike, don't act like him) but he's the better player. And even if not, T-Mac, unfortunately has the bad back (probably earned from having to carry his team).

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

T-mac
    no doubt.

Look at Kobe's 1st years in the league
    and Penny's 1st years in the league

penny was far better

Lack of shaq [which may have lead to some]
    of the injuries

Rocket River

8. Daniel

Daniel Member

Kobe has yet to have the oppurtunity to be the team's consistant number one option, sure he was the man when Shaq was out, but that's just for a few games.

McGrady defends better and rebounds better.

9. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

I think that it's McGrady all the way, this guy is sick on D despite what you are saying has to expend energy all over the floor and still get his and does. And when he says that he is the best player in a series he isn't lying I just hope that he can be on a good team soon. And if he played with Shaq he would show you more reasons as to why he is a better ball player.

10. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

T-Mac is even more physically gifted than Kobe, but IMO Kobe's mental game gives him the edge.

Obviously that's an area where T-Mac could catch up, but like ROXTXIA, I fear the chronic bad back will keep him from truly passing Kobe.

11. TradeMan12

TradeMan12 Member

TMAC, I'm a Magic fan so it is a bias opinion. Kobe is pretty dam good, 2nd best. But in the Sacramento series he never took over games, he never dominated, he was lucky to get 30pts in games. Tracy could have avg around 35pts on Christie, hes just too big for Christie or Turk to guard, while Kobe was slowed down, and couldnt dominate at all.

Stats

TMAC 25.6pts 7.9rebs 5.3ast 1.57st .96blk 45.1%FG 38.3mins
    Kobe 25.2pts 5.5rebs 5.5ast 1.48st .44blk 46.9%FG 38.3mins

McGrady is better then those numbers, injuries to his back is the only reason his PTS, Blks are soo low. Compare the 2nd half stats when both weren't feeling the affects of the hip or back injuries as much as the first half.

McGrady is the better defender. Kobe is overrated, hes a good on the ball defender but he cant guard anything in the post. McGrady can do both, he can steal, and shotblock better, just doesnt have the large market to get into the all defensive team. McGrady is also a better passer, Kobe has Shaq down low, while McGrady has to watch Horace Grant, Andrew Declercq, Patrick Ewing get a wide open pass and miss the lay up. McGrady avg just as many assist, and less TOs.

Right now Kobe is more clutch then TMAC, but hes had more chances, I think TMAC will be with him next year on this. Kobe is also a better FT shooter, he gets to get his "free points" any illegal defense, techincal he gets a free throw for doing nothing, helps his PTS stats. Kobe has the better jumper as well.

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

You can't really compare the two because Bryant is a support player, while McGrady is the main focus of the defense night in and night out. Stick Shaq behind him and I'm sure McGrady's D looks a lot better as well.

13. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

Do you think TMac could have played with Shaq? Could he play second fiddle to anyone?

14. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Good for you! :mad:

15. UNMKT4

UNMKT4 Member

Kobe Bryant.
    He's already proved himself to the world that he can win the title three times, uh I mean twice but on the verge of getting a third.

You don't hope for crappy players so you can stand out. You play with what you got and try to win regardless. Tracy as we all might know left Toronto because of "superstar" Vince Carter and all of his prowness. How can you respect a guy like that and ever see that man in the finals if he's only looking over his own back and never looking ahead at his teams future production.

They had a dominant team, but Vince was taking his 3-4 camera's away in the locker room after a big win. But you never see that in Kobe.

Kobe played in the shadows of Shaquille O'neal for almost 6 seasons. Ever since his Rookie Year and he hasn't given up.

Through Turbulation and some smooth ride's Kobe has stepped up his game and won a few rings in the mean time.

I'm sure Kobe will be happy either way but why not have Wilt Chambernezey along side with you on the same team.

Imagine that backcourt, Tracy Mcgrady, <I>allStar "Point guard"</I> alongside Vince Carter, <I> allStar " Shooting guard</i>. Tracy ruin's whatever great chances he gets because he's looking for cash.

It does help having your team in LA, but It doesn't help your odds that much, get what im sayng.

16. Major

Major Member

Stats

TMAC 25.6pts 7.9rebs 5.3ast 1.57st .96blk 45.1%FG 38.3mins
    Kobe 25.2pts 5.5rebs 5.5ast 1.48st .44blk 46.9%FG 38.3mins

I'm not so sure you can compare their stats due to the fact that Kobe is one of two superstars on the team. How the extra superstar affects Kobe's numbers is a bit of a questionmark. Without Shaq:

Likely, Kobe's scoring would go up since he would become the #1 option, but his scoring effeciency would go down since there's more focus on him.

Kobe's assists would probably rise because he'd have the ball in his hands far more often and he would be double-team more often.

Rebounding? A bit more questionable. On one hand, there are 10-12 more rebounds per game available. On the other, its easier to block Kobe out because there's no double-teaming of Shaq.

Sure, McGrady was the sole star on his team, but then again, his team wasn't very good. The only way to make the team good is to add the other star (possibly Grant Hill, if he's healthy).

17. mfclark

mfclark Member

I fully agree with that assessment myself.

Being biased as I am, though, I'd give an edge to McGrady. But don't listen to me...

18. ktheintz

ktheintz Member

<i>You can't really compare the two...</i><p>
    But you can, sort of, by asking whether the Lakers or the Magic be willing to trade their guy for the other.<p>
    My guess is that neither the Lakers nor the Magic would be interested in such a trade, which makes them pretty well equal at this point.<p>
    If one thing allows Kobe eventually to pull away from the pack, it's his killer instinct. It's the only basis for the MJ comparison: Kobe has an eye for the jugular that no one since Jordan has possessed.<p>

19. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I like both and i don't think you could lose with either. Kobe is is the best situation by far having the best player in the league on your team. As far as McGrady not having anyone, well he had some guy named Vince carter and antonio Davis he was playing with in toronto. He chose to leave so he could have some last second shots called for him. Thats all fine and dandy, but don't complain when you don't have a chance to get last second shots because your team is starting Pat Garrity at the 4 spot. What if Kobe had thought that way and said stuff like that. Some players play for titles, some play for fame, but if you win titles you'll get the fame. McGrady blew it. He better hope Duncan arrives after next yr.

20. TradeMan12

TradeMan12 Member

"Do you think TMac could have played with Shaq? Could he play second fiddle to anyone?"

Why not? Shaq is the easist guy to play with, among superstars. He gets doubled just about everytime, and teams cant double you(Kobe), how easy is it to get assist with Shaq down there, alley opp or just break it and pass and its a easy assist, rebouding would drop, but defense would improve a lot since you can take a lot more chances.

The only people TMAC would play second fiddle to is Tim Duncan and Shaq, nobody else.