1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Syria] US Troop Withdraw

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Dec 19, 2018.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

At the very least I would have wanted trump to seek advice from military leadership including the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. That didn't happen. I would have also wanted him to seek advice from congressional leadership. That didn't happen either. I would have also not wanted him to lie to the American public on the reasons on why he was pulling the troops. That didn't happen either.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

We

Im sure he will get his building in Moscow now. And Mueller should have his proof because im certain Trump is that stupid

3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Oh no! Peace is breaking out in the middle east. Let's complain some more guys.

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I think he did tell people what he was going to do. It seems that Mattis may have resigned over this direction with Syria and now Afghanistan.

From the other tweets you posted it seems to give the vibe that you feel this direction is dangerous to go down. Just curious if you felt that way too.

5. biff17

biff17 Member

How the heck do you think peace is breaking out?

6. Buck Turgidson

This. One million times this.

He's a toddler: I WANT THAT NOW

7. NewRoxFan

The guy with the chia pet toupee speaks up...

8. NewRoxFan

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think this is a good decision by Putin.

CometsWin and mdrowe00 like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t give a **** about how it effects Israel. The United States goes well beyond being fair to Israel in the region. I have no particular axe to grind with Israel but we worry too much about there feelings.

Graham and Rubio and Sasse can moan all they want, at the end of the day they will do what they always do, which is whatever Trump wants them to do.

11. NewRoxFan

12. Senator

Senator Member

Who cares if it's not protocol, it's a sign of the inevitable - stop trying to control unstable lands with nothing to offer, bring more troops home, focus on tighter border control with no go zones.

Eventually, they will have to create peace amongst themselves or die out.

That is happening whether the Pres is dem or rep- might as well rip off the band aid and get started.

13. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

This and starting the peace process in Korea are pretty much the only good things Trump has done.
    It is mistaken to think the US troops overall can make things better there.

If you are serious about making things better support: UN peace troops, lots of humanitarian aid for rebuilding and a complete embargo on arms shipments to any side in Syria.

14. biff17

biff17 Member

It's amazing how many have adoption on the subject but have no clue about what the troops in Syria are actually doing.

how would that arms embargo on Russia work?

15. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I primarily look at this issue from the point of view that it is important to put an end to another of the forever wars, including Afghanistan and Iraq that we fight and which never benefit the countries we fight them in or us in America, aside from those corporations that make money on the wars.
    Syria was better off before the civil war, and it is better off now that is about over --even if Assad is a vicious dictator. ISIS and its few remnants are worse than Assad.. The Russians have pretty much defeated ISIS who they went after directly along with the Syrian army and do not need us to finish them ISIS off. The US along with its partners such as Saudi Arabia (only marginally better than Syria) basically supported numerous anti-Assad sides and directly or indirectly supplied arms to all sorts of groups including mainly radical Islamic groups that were often allied with ISIS in fighting Assad. The US therefore overall had not much of an effect on defeating ISIS due to this confused policy.

I am not concerned if Russia stays in its long term ally Syria. Let them have a base or two outside Russian. We have hundreds of them throughout the world in over a hundred countries. I am also not concerned if there are Iranians in Syria their next door neighborhood which is often their ally. They do not in a real sense threaten the United States. Wasting trillions of our wealth on such concerns is a real threat to the United States.

robbie380 likes this.
  16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Just because Russia agrees doesn't make it a bad decision. This is good for a lot of reasons. The savings alone could help Americans in so many areas. And that's where I worry, I don't trust this admin with that money. But still, good thing to dial down the world police syndrome.

17. NewRoxFan

18. NewRoxFan

How and why they can outright lie to the American people...

19. NewRoxFan

20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Part of Trump's narcissism is his refusal to listen to experts on anything and his belief that he can just intuit the fulcrum around which the situation pivots because he is "such a stable genius"'.

It's the same logic that let's him dismiss climate change in the face of mountains of evidence, start tariff heavy trade wars against the advice of economists, willingly shut down the government despite mountains of experience by his allies that it will end badly, and build a boondoggle wall to end illegal immigration in spite of the fact that it flies in the face of decades of border security experience.

Trump is the ultimate dilettante. Nobody else's intelligence and experience can compete with his half-baked off-the-cuff assessment of whatever situation he sees. Trumps foolhardy unwavering admiration of himself knows no limits.

#60 Ottomaton, Dec 21, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    CometsWin likes this.