1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SXSW 2011

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Landlord Landry, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Landlord Landry

first list of bands is out. Here is who I am planning on seeing...(so far)

AaRON
    And So I Watch You From Afar
    The Antlers(maybe)
    The Appleseed Cast
    Asobi Sesku
    Baths
    Blue Scholars
    The Calm Blue Sea
    Candy Claws
    Caspian
    Dreamend
    Eagle Claw
    Eski Esko
    For A Minor Reflection
    Gifts From Enola
    Indian Jewelry
    Lavinia
    Ólöf Arnalds
    My Education
    Nico Vega
    Skrillex
    The Twilight Sad
    Youth Pictures of Florence Henderson

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Anyone here ever checkout the business events at SXSW?

3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I SHALL BE THERE. When do wristbands go on sale?

4. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

is that code for "coke dealer"? :grin:

i can usually get ahold of a free wristband, but i stopped doing the official festival altogether the last couple years - i can see just about every band i want to for free and i dont have to deal w/ the lines and the jack-holes w/ their 'badges' who get to cut infront of everyone else.

5. Landlord Landry

I had a pretty good time last year without a wristband.

Landlord will be camped out at the Mylene Sheath showcase for most of the week.

6. fredy

fredy Contributing Member

I've never been. How does it work if for example you only want to see a few bands? do you still need to buy a badge for the whole week or do they sell tickets

7. Landlord Landry

it really depends on who you want to see. The bigger name bands will probably require a wristband. There are a lot of 'unoffical' events that have more obscure bands with no wristband required. Just keep an eye on sxsw.com for the schedules of the bands you want to see and the venue's they are playing at. There are a few Austin media outlets that keep tabs on where bands are playing and if you need a wristband for access. I think the Austinite might be one...I'd highly suggest looking up your fave bands and the venue they are playing at, see if they have a RSVP and sign it if you want to go...if not, just walk around and see wassup.

fck grammar and paragraphs. good times.

8. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

skrillex will be crazzy. Does he have an after party that doesnt require a wristband? I'm a poorcollege student and I can really only go to the free events.

9. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

who is playing that and where is it?

and fredy, this website will have a pretty comprehensive list of all the free stuff...http://www.showlistaustin.com/

for the 'showcase' stuff you dont have to have a wristband - you can pay cash to get into the club, but you should get there early to make sure you can get in. they only allow a limited # of non-wristband people in.

my first one in 95 the wristbands were like $50, which i thought was a bargain, but people who had been going since the 80's complained. now its like $130. of course at that time it was more focused on local bands - seemed like about 25-30% of the acts were austin based. now its easily less than 10%. much more international bands now too.

#9 jo mama, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  10. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

This.

11. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

You can pretty much find any free events going on here:

http://www.showlistaustin.com/

Check it in the next few months. It's a good guide to go by.

12. Landlord Landry

Caspian, Gifts From Enola, Eski Esko, Lavinia so far. I hope Junius plays again. They were probably the best performance I saw last year. I really hope they can get You.May.Die.In.The.Desert to come out.

I don't know where it will be. Last year it was at Valhalla.

13. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

THERE'S NO WAY THAT'S A REAL BAND NAME

14. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Sadly there will be no Exit Calm this year at SXSW.

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

95 was the first time I've gone, too. Had a wristband and got into every single show I wanted to, except one...George Clinton and the Music Hall. Best show that year was Junior Brown opening for newly formed Son Volt. It was the last time I got to be at Liberty Lunch. Radiohead was supposed to play but they had to cancel at the last moment.

I haven't bought a wristband since. I've been to plenty of shows, but I pretty much keep to the free stuff now. There's more than enough to satisfy your music needs.

16. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Eagle Claw is awesome! I got to catch them at FunFunFunFest and then again for the NYE show with The Sword. \m/ (-.-) \m/

See below about another Skrillex show.

He's also playing at Republic Live on 2/5 for those that want to catch him before SXSW.

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to have an Austin-area zip code to even buy them any more?

18. Landlord Landry

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zggjL9IjqOI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zggjL9IjqOI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

c'mon man, rule number 3 of post-rock: choose an unnecessarily long and pretentious band name. add some punctuation marks to be really relevant.

Goodspeed You! Black Emperor
    Riding Alone For Thousands of Miles
    If These Trees Could Talk
    Suffocate For *ucks Sake
    [The]Slowest Runner[In All The World]
    When The Word Was (((Sound)))
    This Is How They Killed Us
    Set The White Flags On Fire Slowly
    The Past Is a Hole in the Ground
    Meanwhile, Back In Communist Russia...
    Upcdowncleftcrightcabc+start
    Project for the New American Century
    Youth Pictures of Florence Henderson

I could go on and on....

but my personal fave: Stubborn Tiny Lights vs. Clustering Darkness Forever, OK?

or... The Master Musicians of Bukkake

sadly, I didnt make any of these up. Rashmon faints.

19. Landlord Landry

Yea, I saw them in Houston with this bad ass band called Omotai and Co-Pilot. Eagle Claw ripped it up. And the lead singer has the best fro I've ever seen.

There is another bad ass band from Houston called Black Congress that plays with Eagle Claw and White Rhino a lot. I hope they are at SXSW.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Really? No SXSW biz people here? Seems way more interesting to me than the music aspect. Maybe I'm nuts.