1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SWAC Championship] TSU Tigers vs. Alabama St.

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by FrancisFan3, Dec 10, 2010.

1. FrancisFan3

FrancisFan3 Member

Saturday, December 11; Legion Field; Birmingham, Alabama; 1:00 p.m.; ESPN Classic. Let's go Tigers, bring the SWAC title back to Houston just like Prairie View did it last year.

2. Poloshirtbandit

TSU up in the 4th qtr 11-0

Strangest football score I've ever seen.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

good for TSU, my dad graduated from there, and he was rooting hard. he supports the alumni, the athletics, I was happy for him

4. FrancisFan3

FrancisFan3 Member

Congrats Texas Southern, from 0-11 three years ago to SWAC champs this year, and winning it without star QB Arvell Nelson.

5. Mr. Space City

good job TSU :grin:

6. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Incredible job by Coach Cole at TSU. Not only did he put a winning product on the field, but he did a lot to help change the culture of the athletic department.

7. shsu33

shsu33 Member

Congrats, I really enjoyed the game. That's a D1-A level defense btw, TSU even had a starting LB that was out most of the game. W/o the really good run back on TSU's last punt it would have been a shutout.
    One of the comentator's joked about Grambling's coach talking about getting the SWAC title back where it belongs. He said you can't even get it out of the Houston area with PVAMU and TSU the last two seasons.
    Seriously, this might be all Houston gets this year so I hope everyone enjoyed it.

One more season to go b4 Dynamo/TSU new stadium!

Texas Southern University- 2010 SWAC Champs!

8. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Do SWAC football team not compete on any other post season events?

9. shsu33

shsu33 Member

They can make the FCS playoffs but no SWAC team has yet to go since they started in 1999. I don't see how it would work out anyway when the SWAC championship game is held the second week of playoffs?! Bethune-Cookman represented the MEAC but they don't have a conference championship game like the SWAC, they just have 11 teams and best record is champ.

The Legacy/Heritage Bowl might be back starting next year, doesn't help TSU this year though. The Legacy Bowl is the SWAC champ vs MEAC champ. Problem is if they bring this back then SWAC and MEAC champs can't go to FCS playoffs, which doesn't hurt SWAC anyhow it seems. MEAC's Bethune-Cookman got killed 45-20 against New Hampshire in the 1st round so I don't see why they wouldn't just bring the Legacy/Heritage Bowl back and split the 3 million ESPN is offering for it. That's a guaranteed 1.5 million to the SWAC and MEAC champs each year! Or they can lose in the first round at home and not come close to that amount in the FCS playoffs.

They do have the HBCU all-star game with the SWAC all-stars vs. MEAC all-stars. Might be fun, TSU should be well represented on defense at least.