1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Superstar Potential

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BaselineFade, Jul 12, 2023.

?

Who has the best chance of becoming a Superstar?

Poll closed Dec 12, 2023.
  1. Jabari

85 vote(s)
    26.4%
  2. Tari

13 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. Green

112 vote(s)
    34.8%
  4. KPJ

5 vote(s)
    1.6%
  5. Sengun

83 vote(s)
    25.8%
  6. Amen

135 vote(s)
    41.9%
  7. Whitmore

12 vote(s)
    3.7%
  8. No one. This young core sux.

9 vote(s)
    2.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Defining what constitutes a superstar is subjective and debatable. For me a superstar is someone that you know will add a significant amount of regular season wins and give you a legitimate shot at winning a title. I break them down into 2 simple groups.

The 2 way monsters:

Giannis
    Embid
    AD
    Kawhi
    Lebron (prime)

Playmaking/shooting/scoring monsters:

Harden
    Luka
    Lebron
    Curry
    KD
    Kyrie
    Tatum
    Jokic
    Murray
    Haliburton TBD

I wondered who from our current young core can develop into one of these type superstars.

If I could only pick 2, I had to go with Sengun and Amen.

Regardless of what he becomes defensively, Sengun has the scoring and playmaking ability to fall into group 2. In order for this to happen, I believe that he will have to develop a consistent shot from the free throw line/elbows and a 10 to 15 foot shot from either baseline. If opposing bigs have to respect these shots it will pull them away from the basket opening up even more cutting opportunities for his teammates and more easy assists for himself.

Second he needs a respectable 3 point shot for the same reasons. Not to mention that he is exceptional at pump faking. It would open up easier driving lanes for himself also. If he is 6'11 now then the Jokic comps just became that much more realistic if he learns to shoot. And I'm betting that he will.

With Thompson it's simple. Learn to shoot. Keep working on your touch. Reach max potential defensively.

He has all of the tools to become the best defender at the 1 in the NBA. I see no excuse for this not to happen. He has the lateral quickness, wingspan, burst etc. And he is playing for a coach who will demand it. He has the passing/playmaking capabilities. He may have the quickest first step in the game. To my eye he's the fastest player in the NBA. Extremely high IQ. It's just comes down to the shot. I won't waste time on this point. It's broken currently. 32% from 3 and a decent pull up is what it will take in my opinion.

I would probably project about 2 to 3 years for Sengun to be knocking on the superstar door. 3 to 4 years for Amen.

Interested in getting anyone else's opinion.
    Bari and Jalen were difficult to omit for me.

2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Amen Thompson is the new Kelvin Cato

3. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I don't see a future "Superstar" on our roster. I hope I'm wrong. I see all-stars, yes. I think that's one of the greatest frustrations from the recent tank years -- is that they didn't yield an all-NBA 1st team talent.

I think Dillon Brooks and possibly Tari Eason could become 1st team all defense (last year Brooks was 2nd team all NBA for defense).

whag00, rhee, J.R. and 4 others like this.
  4. OremLK

OremLK Member

Green and Sengun have the best chance of becoming all-stars; it could even happen this season.

Amen Thompson has the best chance of becoming a top 5 player in the league.

5. kpdark

kpdark Member

I see a duo in Jalen/Amen

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

I have Jalen Green high end upside as Lavine/Beal. Jabari as a Chris Bosh, Sengun as Sabonis, and Amen as Westbrook. In terms of superstar upside as in top 5-10 player best player on a championship team level of play level it's just Amen. Otherwise if we win a title with this core (not trading for a superstar to join) I feel would be more like the Detroit teams of the mid-2000s

OremLK, Denovo, Bo6 and 2 others like this.
  8. fattz

fattz Member

Being an All Star or All Anything is as much about marketing as play on the court. My hope is that our player learn to play together and how to win as a team.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Thought this was going to be a Mayer thread…

rhee, Dredd and BaselineFade like this.
  10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm afraid of Summer League over reactions, but I LOVED what I saw from Amen Thompson. He looked really poised and under control out there. He made good decisions and didn't seem to be trying to force things. To be able to say that about a guy who is probably a top 5 athlete in the NBA gets me very excited. And even though his jumper is broken, he had some very crafty moves around the basket that seemed to indicate that he has great touch. I think if this kid develops into even a league average shooter he is going to be a very big problem for the league.

So in summary, I am over-reacting to summer league and going with Amen Thompson after not even one full game.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think there are any future superstars on the roster, pretty much everyone has fatal flaws that make that level unlikely to be reached.

Amen can't shoot, if he truly fixes that, he's got the best shot at superstardom on the team....but that's REALLY hard to fix.
    Jabari has a game of a really good 3 and D role player.
    Sengun has physical shortcomings that I'm not sure he can overcome and he needs to develop that 3 ball
    KPJ needs to develop defensively and shake some of the maturity issues that have held him back
    Green needs to learn how to play on both sides of the ball
    Tari is more of a high tier 3 and D wing role player
    Whitmore is so raw he'll need to develop just about everything

Several of those guys in theory could make the leap, but it's not likely....and that's okay. All you need really is for them to develop into quality starter caliber players and you have a very good team....but a lot of them haven't proven to even be there yet.

12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I along with the ClutchFans brethren eagerly await your player selection for the upcoming campaign

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Just FYI we are all anxiously awaiting who your next obsession will be now that JC is gone.

14. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Nice reverse jinx

Verbal Christ and BaselineFade like this.
  15. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Fortune favors the bold!

16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

[​IMG]

BHannes2BHonest and burlesk like this.
  17. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

I forgot the first rule of Reverse Jinx!

daywalker02 and Verbal Christ like this.
  18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Might as well tell him now. "We want our money back"!

19. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

To me, Green still has the highest chance. I’ve said it before, but look at the list of players who averaged 22 points at his age. History is on his side.
    6FB471EA-4C7A-4AA9-AE7A-C5249A8A3ECB.jpeg

20. NewAge

NewAge Member

I like your list, two issues:
    1. Kyrie shouldn’t be there. I get that he’s a magician with the ball, but many things are lacking: sustained monster production, or major impact on team winning.
    2. Murray (Jamal, I assume) probably doesn’t belong, too, maybe a tier below.

Also, SGA is knocking on that door, more like banging actually.

Now, your question, I cannot answer. We don’t have superstars and if you look at you list, how many late draft picks and late bloomers it has, you’ll realize that this is a rather hard thing to predict from early career performances. Gun to my head, I’d say Sengun, but wouldn’t put money on it.

BaselineFade likes this.