1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Super Bowl XLVIII: Seattle Seahawks vs. Denver Broncos

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Jan 19, 2014.

?

Seahawks or Broncos?

Poll closed Feb 1, 2014.
  1. Seahawks

47.9%
  2. Broncos

52.1%
  1. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

But that's the complete point of who he is. He throws long completions, which is what play makers do and game managers don't. His team is not asking him to throw a lot and he's playing within the system. But that's different from a guy that can't make the play and basically get by through throwing 3 to 4 yard passes and hope the skill players can get a couple of extra yards.

2. wizkid83

Will you make the same claim about Ben after the second season? That's the thing, guys that can't make the transition don't make the longer throws Russell did (and consistently do). Look, Russell's can make the tough pressure throws (2nd and long and 3rd down throws). We've seen that through the season already, when his team need him to make the play, he does as well as any body. Now, if they don't have Marshawn Lynch, you are questioning if he can make more of the short dump offs (the actual game manager plays) for the short yardage stuff to set up the second and third down.

I say he can, and the ways he's being playing I think he will be able to transition.

3. what

what Member

I've been thinking about this a lot and the problem with Peyton Manning is more the fact that Peyton IS the required to do so much for his team and he gets the entire blame:

- did peyton let harvin runback a td like he was running through swiss cheese?
    - did peyton make monte ball fumble, or moreno fumble or d.thomas fumble? no.

Sure people are going to look at this as though it was all peyton's fault but really the broncos had already lost that game even before they stepped on the field.

4. coffeelover665

Well to be fair, QB gets the most praises when the team wins so they get the heat when the team lose

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'm not downplaying it, nor do I know anything about the Trent Dilfer thing. I don't follow football since Bud Adams. I'm just saying Williams was Williams in that game.

I grew up as a Bears fan in Illinois, so know Doug Williams career well. I think you are downplaying the plan of the Redskins coaches to set up and burn that Denver safety who simply was not fast enough for prime time. Those were all wide open passes. Yeah, partly because Williams had a cannon arm to get it that far. But mainly because the game plan was to get that safety to bite, regardless of the QB.

So, let's not say he delivered the goods any more that Phil Simms did. They did what they should do. It was the coaching that got Williams and Simms those Super Bowl MVPs. They point them in a perfect situation.

Williams was Williams.

6. wizkid83

Agree on Wilson and Burno Mars :grin:

Kapernick I think is a tier below Wilson as well. 49ers like Kapernick because he does have more arm and is more dynamic than Alex Smith (i.e. be more than a game manager) but once again, because of his team's make up, he doesn't have to do as much. That said, he's also above average.

Back to the original argument, can an average QB like Schaub get the Seahawks this Superbowl victory? I actually doubt it (how many 3rd downs did Russell convert tonight, can Schaub convert them is the question you have to ask).

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

For the whole season to come down to this, well, it is disappointing. The SB should not be this lop sided. Supposedly, the two best teams are there, to play their best game of the year. Well, one did. The other played their worst game of the season. Double bummer.

8. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

This year's Super Bowl was between the 49ers and Seahawks.

9. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

There is still strength in the statement. QB is a position that blacks were discouraged to play and prior to this game, only 2 of them had won a SB (Doug Williams in 1988 and Joe Gilliam in 1975 and 1976). Prior to this game only 3 others played in the game period (Steve McNair in 2000, Donovin McNabb in 2005 and Colin Kaepernick in 2013). Kordell Stewart played in the 1995 SB but he was more of a WR then.

I think doubling up the count in one night is pretty damn good.

10. Icehouse

Manning isn't required to do anymore than other teams that are built on their QB play, ie the Saints with Brees. The things you mentioned weren't his fault, but those first two intros to put them in a hole most definitely were.

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

The greatest thing about this SB was the novelty bet a lot of bookies offered. Will a RHCP perform shirtless? Good odds too.

12. Juxtaposed Jolt

I think you're misinterpreting what I'm saying. What I mean is, Tavaris Jackson helped the Seahawks get to to where they are as much as Milicic helped the Pistons get to where they were.

If you're the first to / among the few to ______, but you really weren't an integral part of the whole thing, then you can tout your success / accomplishment, but there will be an asterisk by it.

Jackson is a black QB who now has a SB championship to his name, no doubt. I'm just saying the efficacy in such a statement isn't as strong as you'd think. Good for him in winning, though. Not trying to take away anything from Jackson.

13. Juxtaposed Jolt

I wonder how many people bet that the first score or the first play was going to be a safety.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

8 points though.

15. Mr. Space City

can't have it both ways. if manning had a ****ty game but his team still won the media would still have been on his nuts and gave him and only him the credit.

he is the "offensive mastermind" that had 2 weeks to prepare for this game and his team got dominated. it is what it is.

16. Icehouse

Sure it is. When only 2 black QB's have SB rings in 47 years, it's still a strong statement when 2 more get added in one night.

17. Major

Major Member

Are you just counting up active QBs on the roster? Tyrod Taylor won a SB last year. Not sure who the backup QB was on the 2006 and 2009 Steelers, but I know Charlie Batch was a longtime backup for them.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Cool stat:

Eric Hoke @gi_hoke
    Follow
    @ArrowheadPride 18 AFC teams have finished 13-3 counting Denver, none have won a Super Bowl.
    7:36 PM - 2 Feb 2014

19. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

ain't gonna lie, that was probably the worst SB I have ever witnessed

20. Icehouse

I counted active guys that I remembered but still should not have missed those two. That would bump it to 4 then. Still a small number.