1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Super Bowl XLVII - Baltimore Ravens vs. San Francisco 49ers

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Jan 20, 2013.

?

Who wins?

Poll closed Feb 2, 2013.
  1. Ravens

29.5%
  2. 49ers

70.5%
  1. TheresTheDagger

I've always disliked the man for this reason. Same as OJ. Same as Rae Carruth.

But apparently, its not ok to dislike the guy cause he just won the Super Bowl and is retiring.

So when will it be ok to dislike him again?

2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Not saying you have to like him... but this isn't the place to do it. He just won another ring and he earned it.

He just shut the haters up by helping a team win a title. It's a respect factor you give to someone when they win something, regardless of your hate for the person.

I myself dislike athletes too, but I can also give them credit when it's due if they've proved me wrong.

3. TheresTheDagger

I disagree. I could NEVER give respect to someone over a football game/career suspecting that he was deeply involved with a murder of 2 human beings. I'm just not wired that way. If he was just another football player without the past, then I wouldn't pay any attention.

I don't dislike athletes. But I don't idolize them either. I view them as entertainers...nothing more. I'm much more impressed with soldiers, firemen, cops who put their lives on the line to protect/serve. I find it disturbing that other folks put that famous person/athlete crap above basic human decency.

None of that should be construed to be pointed towards you. I understand what you're trying to say. I hope you get what I'm saying too.

And you're still wrong about the holding call on the safety. :p

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

It was pretty fun to be out and about last night. There were some *seriously* drunk 49er fans out stumbling around -- there was no rage, just beer-fueled sorrow. Heard more than one person say. (slurred speech) "Why the hell does she/he keep TEXTING me. Shut UP!"

I don't hate the 49ers but I never loved this team outside of their linebacking core and Frank Gore. I just don't love Harbaugh (even those his success is obvious) and I didn't think he handled the QB change very well.

Kudos to Flacco.

For those mentioning why the 49ers didn't run the ball on the 5 yard line: yea, it is just the coach out-thinking himself. I know it's hard to run down there, but you have Frank F*ing Gore! Already cracked 100 yards, and the old Ravens are tired. Go AT them, bro -- give Staley a chance to get his ring!

So that's super frustrating.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I hope the Ray haters are done crying. If football players were judged by moral standards it would be a boring and slow sport.

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Why? They can say what they want. The moral issue (criminal conduct, ****ing with a double-homicide investigation, and now saying weird crap after the game to the victims' families) is totally separate from his team having the more clutch quarterback and the better coach.

Don't really care, but the strangest modern phenom on the internet is caring what the "haters" say, like anyone can control them. Meh.

Ray does suck though, so maybe I'm one of the haters. Hope they investigate his totally obvious PED use for that triceps recovery. Great article on Grantland about the PED thing, using Ray as an example.

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Yeah I saw some of that too. I'm in San Francisco now as well, and was walking around the market street and union square area right after the game with a ton of drunk people as I tried to find a decent sushi place. I got offered a joint on the street by this one guy that was blazing out of his mind. No lie. I couldn't believe it, then I realized....I was in San Francisco.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Seriously. . . they will hate on Ray . . .then go home and watch their Woody Allen and Roman Polanski movies. . .

Rocket River
    maybe an ole episode of Baretta

9. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Not the biggest Ray fan...and do think he is a religious phony, but...I do think it is really funny how Ray's Murder accusations reared its head after they beat NE...

When they lost last year to NE...not one mention...

10. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Baltimore was absolutely amazing last night. Talking the city.

[​IMG]

11. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

He could have killed 50 people and been a pilot in September, and that **** doesn't matter to me.

Dudes a total fake ass b**** with the croc tears. It's lame and its a turn off.

You can get suck into that bull**** feel good story all you guys want, but I'm not.

12. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Funny or common sense? People feel more compelled to point out Ray's off-the-field story when there are more people praising him. The narrative that sends a lot of folks over the edge is the media's portrayal of Ray as an "inspiration". Obviously, that didn't happen when Baltimore lost, so people are less compelled to argue against it in those times. Not sure what's funny about it... just basic common sense.

13. VanityHalfBlack

Why would anyone wanna be stuck in a crowd like that? I have a problem with being confined in crowded places, my anxiety would be off the roof!

14. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I drove through it getting home. So many high fives and horn honking. And everyone thought they were Ray Lewis with their dancing.

15. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I know the focus is going to be on Lewis and how he ended his career but I'm more happy for Ed Reed.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Ain't nobody talk **** about Ed Reed after he MURDERED Reggie Wayne's snake 15 years ago!

17. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Ed Reed isn't as annoying.

18. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Pe3OOac4liQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nate Silver Picks the San Francisco 49ers in the Super Bowl (Awaiting Karl Rove Guess)
    Published on February 2, 2013
    by Kara Swisher

Nate Silver, the famous poll expert for the New York Times who correctly called the U.S. presidential election for Barack Obama, has really gone out on a limb today, prognosticating that the San Francisco 49ers will likely win the Super Bowl.

“The reasons that exceptional defenses fare so much better in the Super Bowl are still somewhat murky, but this factor bodes well for this year’s 49ers, whose defense belongs in the elite group, according to S.R.S. (it ranks 17th among Super Bowl teams),” wrote Silver, in part.

The football team is the favorite already, so it’s not that much of a limb to crawl out on — and it’s also unlikely to attract as much controversy as Silver’s election calls that sent Republicans into a tizzy.

Except to those pulling for the Baltimore Ravens, of course.

http://allthingsd.com/?p=290972&ak_action=printable

20. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Well, Mr. Morality, you should apply that to anyone in anything you watch (sports, movies) who's been unfaithful, lied, or broken any other Commandments. Otherwise, you're a ****ing hypocrite, as well.