1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Super Bowl XLIX: Seattle Seahawks vs. New England Patriots

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Jan 18, 2015.

?

Super Bowl XLIX: Seahawks or Patriots?

Poll closed Jan 31, 2015.
  1. Seahawks

54.8%
  2. Patriots

45.2%
  1. Remii

Remii Member

Super bowl commercials sucked this year.

2. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

3. Nook

Nook Member

They certainly have a good shot, but each trip to the Super Bowl is extremely precious. It is probably 50/50 that either Seattle OR New England gets to the SB at some point in the next 5 years... and that doesn't even mean winning.

Baltimore did not get cheated by the Patriots.

Right.... and Russell Wilson choked in the Super Bowl.... it is just foolish. Russell Wilson is one of the top 2-3 young QB's in the league and Aaron Rodgers is awesome.

4. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Play 2nd down for 2nd down.

By overthinking it,

Throw to set up a 3rd down run if you don't score.
    Preserve a timeout for after 3rd down if you don't score.
    Run the clock down to leave no time for the Patriots.

the Seahawks forgot one variable/scenario...turnover.

No one would second guess you for being conservative/traditional on 2nd down.

5. Juxtaposed Jolt

The great regular season fantasy QB who won a SB with no real running game, back in 2010? That guy?

6. the shark

the shark Member

:eek:

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Anyone else think Doug Baldwin should have been ejected for his "celebration" when he scored? There's no place for what he did in any game...let alone one televised to the entire world. I don't see it as something you can just blame emotion on. It was incredibly stupid and should be more than just a 15-yd penalty on the extra point. Hopefully he'll get at least a significant fine.

8. Remii

Remii Member

Yup.... And the glove didn't fit OJ.

Yes... Rodgers is Awesome... In the regular season. Lol... And I don't know what point you're trying to make with Russell... But ok..

Green Bay had a entire crew of good to great receiving options and an ELITE DEFENSE that year. Funny how people give credit to Seattle's defense but don't do it for Green Bay's defense when they one the championship... And since their defense fell off _ Green Bay hasn't been back to the super bowl.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

While I agree with you, I think there's now too much focus on this one play. It was clearly critical and at the most critical time, with a huge payoff for a 1 yd gain vs. turnover.

*But* I kind of think two things are being overlooked a bit (and apologies if they're all over this thread already -- I didn't see it):
    1. An unsung part of this story is the Pats pass protection. Their O-line completely dominated the Seahawks pass rush for the most part. On the two comeback drives, it was completely unreal how much time Brady had, even when they blitzed once or twice and left man coverage everywhere. Yikes.

2. Time of possession. The legion of boom was dinged up and gassed b/c they were on the field so much, IMHO.

Pats offensive coordinator greatly out-coached the Seahawks defensive coordinator. And they *still* should have snagged the game in the end.

10. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

What? He's played 12 playoff games, 23 TD to 7 INT ratio, and a 101 rating.

He's definitely awesome in the playoffs too. If it wasnt for a fluke 2 minutes from the Seahawks, Rodgers could have been to his second Superbowl and possibly second title.

11. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

Awesome game. Two great teams battling it out and players performing at elite levels. Best SB game in awhile. And thoroughly enjoyed the Sherman face after the INT.

Also delicious is the massive butt hurt in every Pats related thread here. Just wah wah-ing about them cheaters. Enjoy the facial.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Carroll confirms that Richard Sherman's left elbow will require Tommy John surgery and Jeremy Lane has a &quot;significant&quot; broken arm.</p>&mdash; Seattle Seahawks (@Seahawks) <a href="https://twitter.com/Seahawks/status/562320162603278336">February 2, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. Remii

Remii Member

And he has advanced in the playoffs just as much as Flacco has. Rodgers couldn't convert a 3rd down last year to save his life against the 49ers backup corners. And funny how you bring up the fluke play for Seattle as an excuse for Rodgers when they had so many opportunities to score because of Russell's turnovers and he didn't...

Wake me when Rodgers gets to another super bowl without an elite defense.

14. i3artow i3aller

Turns out Dont'a Hightower's shoulder injury from the regular season was a torn labrum :eek:. Dude played through it all the way to the end...props to ol' boy.

And supposedly last spot for the active game-day roster yesterday came down to Jonas Gray and Malcolm Butler. Crazy. [​IMG]

15. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Outside of maybe 2 QBs in the entire NFL, there isnt one QB better in the playoffs than Rodgers. It doesnt matter how you decide to slice it.

In other words, unless you can come up with a list of 5-10 QBs better in the playoffs, then Rodgers is most definitely awesome/elite in the postseason.

16. i3artow i3aller

The score was the exact same as the Madden simulation with Edelman scoring the game winning TD. WTF :eek::rolleyes:

17. conquistador#11

mike martz said he would have given it to lynch. i don't know if he was serious or just has a dark sense of humor. =/

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Somebody tell Beast Mode I'll give him the ball on the 1 yard line 15-15 times. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Texans?src=hash">#Texans</a></p>&mdash; Ryan Mallett (@Ryan_mallett_15) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ryan_mallett_15/status/562121975489781760">February 2, 2015</a></blockquote>

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Lol <a href="https://twitter.com/ArianFoster">@ArianFoster</a> im giving you the ball also. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/youknow?src=hash">#youknow</a></p>&mdash; Ryan Mallett (@Ryan_mallett_15) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ryan_mallett_15/status/562124068405530624">February 2, 2015</a></blockquote>

20. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member