1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Super Bowl XLII: New England Patriots vs. New York Giants

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by GuerillaBlack, Jan 20, 2008.

1. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I'm spent. I think I wore God's ears out by saying his name so much :D

2. Bassfly

Bassfly Member

[​IMG]

from the nytimes

3. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Agreed, that was pretty dumb, especially considering that the Pats were getting no time to go deep. Arrogant as hell...it really cost them.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

In many ways, this game was close to a mirror image of when the Patriots stunned the Rams back in 2002.... except this time, the Patriots were the hot-to-trot gun-slining/record setting offense that just got kicked in the freaking face time and time again.

I guess what goes around finally does come around... and this should take away that freakin "arrogance" that was permeating from every thing associated with New England (especially the sportswriters, ahem, Bill Simmons).

It also kinda reminds me of VY beating USC... except that it looks like ESPN actually had considered this possibility and prepared more than just a couple of token statements if the underdog won (which was not the case for the Longhorns).

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

I thought that was a messed up decision too.

4th and 13 is an incredibly low percentage play. I can't believe there's any kicker under age 40 whose FG% for 48 yards(in a dome no less) would be lower than a 4th and 13 play.

I wouldn't go so far to say that he should've kicked it unless it's 4th and 1. But I'd say anything more than 4th and 5, against that defense, is going against the percentages.

That call reminds me of the plays I go for on my Madden all the time... :)

6. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member

**** is crazy in NYC right now.

Just got home - I can still hear people yelling in the streets.

I don't really care for either team - I always root for the underdog - but my God, were the Patriots arrogant.

Their coach after the game = classless.

7. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

it wouldn't have mattered. The Pats got destroyed by our pass rush. LOL at Brady yelling at his linemen a la Romo

8. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Completely agree.

Only thing working for the Patriots that time was short dump offs to Welker and Kevin Faulk. Moss, Gaffney, Stallworth, & Watson were almost completely neutralized. What made them think they had a high % chance on 4th & 13 all of a sudden? A 60-70% chance for a FG around 50 yards, or 15% chance of completing anything over 15 yards thats not a catch and run? I dont even think the Colts offense would go for it in that instance.

Saying thats an excusable decision by Belichick is like saying Giselle Bundchen is ugly. Oh, wait....

9. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

That 4th and 13 was probably the dumbest move I've ever seen Belichick make in my years of watching professional football.

10. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

I read somewhere they give those to African kids without clothes.

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I knew I should have went out tonight to be in some post Super Bowl celebratory ambience, not sure why I turned all old man and stayed home.....another regrettable decision I made.

Like the Belichick 4th and 13...

12. Icehouse

Yeah, but now we have to hear **** from the NY media and see Eli get slobbed forever for knocking off the undefeated team. I already saw a Manning-Manning oreo cookie commercial. A lose-lose IMO.

So which do you think would have been worse...what's going to happen now or to see NE go undefeated and hear it from the Boston media?

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

bill is way too arrogont. I am glad he lost.

14. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

So I missed the score by 10 apiece...

But Gostkowski did kick it out of bounds to his left at one point in the game...

Not quite Norwood-esque either...

But it was a field goal, or lack thereof, that it came down to. :D

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Wait until they do the MANNING and MANNING
    wonder twins ring thing
    :D

Rocket River

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Honestly? I'd rather see the Mannings in the spotlight than Bill Belicheck (sourpus) and Brady (personality of a doorknob).

Plus, its not like the Mannings are undeserving of the limelight... they're the last two Super Bowl winners. Peyton was insanely into this game tonight... not because this would get him more commercials with his brother, but because that's how much of a bond they truly have.

They make commercials because they have fun doing them... and some of them are, in fact, entertaining. I don't get the "hate" that gets spewed on them for being in the limelight. That should be reserved for the underacheivers (or nobodies) like Reggie Bush.

17. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

You were going to hear **** no matter what. I'd rather hear it from the NYG side.

18. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Exactly. That guy is a turd and THE reason I wanted them to lose.

19. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Time to join the DSRL...

Double Stuf Racing League!

Amazing that the Oreo people filmed that and released it before the playoffs.

20. Icehouse

I think Manning's hate is deserved because he is a nut-up in big games. Even when they won the title last season he played like crap, discounting one very important half. Eli, on the other hand, I must give props to because he stepped up when it mattered tonight.

Bos and NE are just two very arrogant places...especially their media. Well, at least no one on the Giants seems like an ass....