1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

strayhorn makes the ballot

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rodrick_98, May 3, 2006.

1. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

looks like she's the first with 115,000 signatures... hopefully kinky will blow that number out of the water.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...06/stories/050206dntexstrayhorn.115d58e4.html

2. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

bumping an old thread, and replying to my own post... 2 things one shouldn't do, but...

HOLY COW - 169,000 signatures for kinky, and i was thinking that strayhorn was gonna have more....

http://www.kinkyfriedman.com/2006/05/kinky_friedman_turns_in_169000.html

edit - nevermind, i guess she did with 223,000; but still, 169,000 is a good sign. when i signed, i was talking to the denton county coordinator, and he was saying that 100,000 would be nice....

#2 rodrick_98, May 12, 2006
    Last edited: May 12, 2006
  3. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

If UH was any indication, there were guys that had both petitions on campus. From what I saw, lots of people agreed to sign Kinky's but almost everyone said "no thanks" for StrayCat.

4. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

On top of that, Strayhorn's sigs were gathered by a hired petition circulating company, while Friedman's sigs were gathered by volunteers.

5. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I'm out of the loop on this one - someone please tell me who Strayhorn is and why I should (or should not) vote for her.

Her website is the usual uninformative political tripe.

6. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

She's a Republican insider, the State Comptroller, who is running as an Independent simply because she had no chance of beating Rick Perry in the Republican primary.

The only true independent candidate for governor is Kinky Friedman.

7. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

carol keaton-mcclellan-rylander-strayhorn is also the mother of scott mcclellan. that alone would make me not ever vote for her.

she also likes divorces. maybe she should hook up w/ limbaugh - 4th time is the charm!

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Strayhorn btw started her life as a Democrat, albeit a yellow dog Democrat.

She is betting that she can not beat Perry in a Republican primary but can beat him in a general election runoff. To do this, she will have to get more votes than either the Democratic nominee (Bell?) or Kinky to make the runoff. Polls have shown that she could take down Perry in general election runoff. I am not sure Bell or Kinky make a similar boast. It is still too early to take polls seriously though.

There is no doubt in my mind that Strayhorn would make a better governor than The Haircut. Given Texas's conservative political climate, running as a right of center independent may be the only way that The Haircut can be taken down.

We will see.