1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stop politicizing these shootings

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Two Sandwiches, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Nobody wins. Nobody is going to score points. There is not a right side to be on.

Police need more training and to cut the fat. People need to stop resisting and police officers need to stop shooting.

Every. Single. Life. Matters.

We need to stop pulling people's records in hindsight as a way to justify the fact that they got shot by the police.

We need to quit pulling away from each other as people and start embracing each other as family.

Rioting solves nothing. It punishes business owners who have often time fought tooth and nail to build their business. Travelling 100 miles from the nearest urban city to prove a point with your guns also does nothing.

Maybe we should all stop and talk to each other about things we have in common (here, it's the Rockets), and we would find that there's really not that much that separates the far left rioters from the far right militia and supremacists.

This is a tragedy. It's not a political pulpit.

Maybe sometimes we do need to "let a good tragedy go to waste."

We need to stand together as a society to solve this issue. Sometimes we can't depend on the politics.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People are crazier than before because of real time access to information
    And not all the information is valid.

there’s so much information that you just pick what you want to hear. And you suddenly are not thinking for yourself.

An example I wanted to bring up was that Karen incident in San Francisco with some business she owned. A bunch of people harassed the wrong business because they had similar names in Los Angeles. The woman in LA had nothing to do with it just owned a business with a similar name like LA Beauty Salon.
    you put dumb people and too much information you are getting this problem.
    I don’t think it’s even political cause it happens everywhere. Jonestown in the modern era

people don’t think for themselves anymore
    I don’t give a rats ass if 100 people tell me it’s safe to swim in that pool, I’m going to make sure there’s water in it

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I can get your point about not making this issue partisan. But it is definitely political. It needs a political solution. We need legislatures to draft better laws. We need our law enforcement agencies to improve their execution. If we need to come together as a family and work together, we're working together politically.

And perhaps unfortunately, I think it means we need the trappings of 'politicizing the shootings.' Because there are some people who see a huge problem with the execution of law enforcement and want changes and other people who see no problem at all and want no change. We cannot work together as a society until we can all acknowledge the same understanding of what is even happening. So if there is an unjustified use of force by law enforcement, or if there is an orgy of violent and pointless rioting, or whatever the truth of what you see is -- it needs to be shouted from the rooftops. Nothing will change if we stay quiet in the face of injustice out of some misapplied respect for the mourning. It must be made political. Because we need to talk it out politically and find a political solution.

mikol13, Nook, topfive and 6 others like this.
  5. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The lack of police accountability (and the issues that arise from such) has been in the public consciousness for almost 30 years (I’m using the Rodney King incident as the starting point for it being broadly understood - the actual problem obviously predates that) but no significant action has been taken. What this tells everyone is that polite, peaceful protests don’t work, and so people turn toward more disruptive activities. I don’t support or excuse riots but I understand that they’re happening because the problems with the police aren’t getting fixed - they’re being ignored or dismissed. And because the issue involves a power struggle, politicization is inevitable.

MLK said the biggest hurdle to civil rights was the white moderate. I believe this is still true even today - the inertia they create due to their “both sides are the problem” (where the human flaws of the group on the side of justice are wrongly equated with the sociopathy of the group on the side of authoritarianism) attitude has led to an appalling lack of legislative remediation for society’s issues. We basically rely on the courts to move society closer to justice and equality.

So if we want things more peaceful, we can’t vote in a way that enables inertia and divisiveness. And we can’t equate actions stemming from wildly different motivations (and even facts) as the same. We all have to look a little deeper.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Stop politicizing. So, install change without voting = violence.

The business owners & protestors need to team-up and collectively band together against the police. Even better - the good police also join in against the few bad police. Everyone vs. the bad police and only the bad police. Until change happens.

I'm cool with that.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

That is the problem the police DON'T ever turn in bad cops......I have a dear friend who has been a cop for more than 30 years I asked him how many times he had to turn in a cop for breaking the law he said....NEVER....that is statistically impossible if he was doing his job.

I let it go, but I know for a fact that some cops he was with broke the law from former stories he told.

The THIN BLUE WALL exists and it needs to be crushed.

DD

topfive, Two Sandwiches and durvasa like this.
  8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Same. Good friend of mine is a cop. He's seen cops do bad things. The good cops protect the bad. Their self-policing system protects them, not us. To them, it's - us vs them - as if they're fighting against another country.

9. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I appreciate the gesture, but police are government employees, and government leaders are politicians.
    The police have been asked to quit filling Black bodies full of lead: that hasn't worked.
    People could fight (gun)fire with (gun)fire. . . . That's not ideal either.

Politicians claim to be running things: let them get their asses in gear. They are doing a **** job. Not impressed. At all. The politicians need 50 times more pressure on them.

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The purpose of segregation is to have "different countries" for everyone. Many of them are just fighting to keep their country safe.

It's also why people who live in stable communities have supported tough on crime policies that enabled them to push further and further with their powers and responsibilities.

I don't think non-targetedAmericans had a problem with it at a period NYC was scary with violent crime going rampant.

It's just times have changed and more data on what has actually worked paints violent and aggressive policing in a bad light.

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Police shoot twice as many whites than blacks every year. Thats not to say its not a problem.

In my humble opinion police shootings overall are rare given the nature of guns in this country and what they deal with on a day to day basis. But thats just an opinion.

When these shootings happen its very reasonable to question recruitment. I think if you examined every law enforcement agency's policies they probably are all reasonable in their attempts to try to prevent stupidity like shooting someone seven times

12. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

assuming this is true, its worth pointing out that blacks are about 15% of the population. so proportionally speaking, blacks are far more likely to be shot by cops than whites.

why do we seem to be the only first world country where this keeps happening?

Nook, Two Sandwiches and RayRay10 like this.
  13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

We been doing just that since the Civil War. How's that been working out?

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Police training isn’t going to solve a cultural issue. Accountability and changes in laws, including reducing the scope of what police should handle will slowly reduce police brutality and eventually in turn change the culture of policing. Solve that and everything else fall in place.

RayRay10 and No Worries like this.
  15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ROXRAN and RayRay10 like this.
  16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Blacks are overwhelmingly involved in crime. Blacks commit more total murder for instance.

This doesn't justify police shootings but even though violence in the US is declining we are still a very violent nation compared to the rest of the world.

Chicago is an everyday issue. I know some think Chicago is a code word for black crime but Chicago's violence is third world level

17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Didnt we have this convo already?

Reminds me of the mass shooting threads. At least COVID has fixed that for now.

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I realy think 10% of the violence is actually a cry to heared, I think 90% of the violence is for a combination of financial gain and people just wanting to **** **** up,I think most of the violence is just oportunistic and not for a "cause"

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Police shoot twice as many whites? But there are almost 5 times as many whites as Blacks. . . .

20. Buck Turgidson

No, nope, not even close. Just a dumb thing to say.