1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STONE is still the HEDGE HONCHO. Why a FEW MAJOR HITS greatly TRUMPS MANY MISTAKES.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Mar 7, 2024.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I just don't know if this team has enough minutes for all these young players. Next season you have to find consistent playing time for guys like Cam and Tari.

roslolian and AroundTheWorld like this.
  2. meh

meh Contributing Member

People said this at beginning of this season and we're down to Uncle Jeff/Holiday/Tate bench and Landale/Amen started 2 games ago. Every year players get injured. It's not some sort of bad luck, it's just the nature of playing professional sports.

If the Rockets keep the pick and draft a guy, assuming that guy can play, he's getting minutes next year.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

meh I have to disagree. Without a consolidation trade we are looking at a 10-man rotation:
    Sengun
    Adams
    Landale
    Bari
    Tari
    Amen
    Brooks
    Cam
    Jalen
    FVV

and that excludes Jeff Green, Tate and Holiday. Sure injuries happen but it will be hard for anyone but a top rookie to break into that rotation.

my feeling is, make the pick if there’s a player we feel could really be special, but assuming we are picking mid-late lotto in this weak draft, I’d be looking to trade this pick for future assets or as part of a package for more shooting (arguably still our biggest weakness).

DeBeards likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

To be a hedge hog he has to run faster.....

DeBeards likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol such a circus after Stone enabled KPJ and looked like his sugar daddy.....

DeBeards likes this.
  7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Actually the Rox should continue the youth pipeline and get guys with high upside like a Cody Williams or Tipjane Salaun.

We can have them develop in the GLeague similar to Amen and Cam and then have them ready to fill in if injuries happen or guys get traded.

Rockets are anything but set with Jalen Green being inconsistent and Alpi and Tari with season ending injuries. We don't know if these guys will be here long term yet so doesn't make sense to load up and double down right now.

8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

9. MystikArkitect

Was Tilman really the only dude that could buy this team?

Downtown Sniper and napalm06 like this.
  10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Franchise with mediocre management wants to extend mediocre management, more to come at 7

Where are those GM surveys, I want to see their "bottom 5 GM's" tally

Downtown Sniper and J.R. like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think by that logic Rafael Stone deserves his statue after making 2nd round of the Playoffs....

Those crazies rejoice about that as if he has won 1 or 2 titles.

Felipe and MystikArkitect like this.
  12. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Absolutely extend him, look at our results this year.

An almost 20-win increase from last season, almost every free agent vet contributed to wins this year, major growth from Sengun becoming a borderline all-star, and draft picks with star potential. COY candidate hiring in Ime with a top 10 defense right now.

This is outstanding growth this year put together by Stone. I hope people can put aside the agendas and focus on how much the team has progressed.

MadMax94$ likes this.
  13. Ancient Moabite

Right on cue

The injury bug will always lurk, you just want to avoid the Tari Eason / Adams type ones and get a Dillon type one for your rotational players, and have quality depth with some being starter material

They need size or of course a shooter with at least 6'8''+ frame

Athletic big who can block shots and anchor 2nd unit is the real luxury pick, like Ime had in Boston

Especially if Sully can get the young core muscle memory correct with a 36%+ three from all the ones that plan on getting those attempts in games

14. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

I'm hoping more of a Hannah Mcnair situation. The Texans got better once she became a more hands-on owner and maybe Patrick could do the same. That being said, I certainly won't shed a tear if Stone got the boot - he hasn't been completely awful, but isn't a GM I'd have confidence for with the future of the team.

15. Aruba77

there’s no agenda bro. People have a right to be skeptical of Stone after the Silas hire and WOW and the KPJ debacle, and with our highest pick since Yao who can’t shoot. They also have a right to be skeptical since Ime was really responsible for this 20-game turnaround and Stone wanted Vogel, and Tillman had to roll him. Also ime had to roll him to get Fred over Harden. Our culture and reputation as an org was in the toilet because of Stone; Ime changed that.

We’ve drafted pretty well, but that’s pretty much where Stone’s credit ends. His judgement has not been great. No one has an agenda. People can objectively look at Stone’s time with the rockets and come to different conclusions. You say Stone is responsible for the extra 20 wins; I say it’s Ime, who wasn’t really even a Stone hire.

#175 Aruba77, Apr 14, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2024
  16. MystikArkitect

This is the organization that fawned over KPj because he was better than Daishen Nix. Doesn't surprise me that Stone puts together his first season of genuine mediocrity with a Top 3 coach in the league and people believe he deserves an extension.

Aruba77 likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I laugh at the fate that NIx was bestowed upon to be part of the 1st seed, 2nd or 3rd seed Timberwolves.

18. Rochut

Rochut Member

This is a great post.

most of the moves Stone has made have been outright bad. Most of the positives have not been his doing or even have happened despite him.

bad moves: Silas, WOW, KPJ
    TBC moves: a shooting guard who still can't shoot with number 2 pick after 3 years in league
    Obvious moves almost ANYONE would have done: jabari at 3, Amen at 4, Cam at 20
    Word is that Tari and Sengun were Witus driven selections, not Stone
    Steadfastly not recognising Sengun and actively undercutting him
    He wanted Vogel over Ime, udoka was a Tillman hire
    He wanted Harden over Fred, Fred was an Ime hire
    Don't even get started on the second round pick expenditures or the first round picks of Garuba, Christopher and TyTy.
    It is absurd that Stone said Nix was viewed by the Rockets as a lottery pick talent.
    The list goes on and on, just ask John Wall ;)

Aruba77 likes this.
  19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The biggest problem I have with Stone is how he prioritized KPJ (and even Jalen) over Sengun, a much superior talent.

It went as far as Stone leaking negative things about Sengun and the organization's intent to start Bruno over Sengun to well-known Rockets influencers.

Whether he corrects that mistake and commits to Sengun and other winning players such as Tari and Amen over his personal favourites will determine my opinion about him going forward.

Aruba77 likes this.
  20. Aruba77

If Stone pulls off a significant trade that helps this team (like we’ve supposedly been planning for for 3 years), then I will look at him more positively. As opposed to the way I look at him now…a guy who hired the worst coach in rockets history, tried to extend Olidipo on big money, tried to build around KPJ and Christian Wood, passed over Jarrett Allen, paid John Wall $40 mil to stay away from the team, tried to pass on Ime for Vogel, and wanted to restart the Harden era.

The Stone extension talk is laughable.

#180 Aruba77, Apr 14, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2024
    AroundTheWorld likes this.