1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STONE is still the HEDGE HONCHO. Why a FEW MAJOR HITS greatly TRUMPS MANY MISTAKES.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Mar 7, 2024.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

[​IMG]

Nook likes this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

They don't because everyone knows it's not efficient.

Doing more of something that on average hurts your team makes no sense.

If you keep shooting more at a significantly lower percentage than the other team, you lose.

Again, even in that response, you are succumbing to the same logical fallacy that for a player to score more points is like an absolutely desirable goal. It is not, if you are doing it with low efficiency, you are shooting your team out of the game.

3. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Patrick is the next GM, we’ll be calling for his head too if he doesn’t produce good results. Tilman would we wise to hire a basketball person as his next GM.

kspires999 and jim1961 like this.
  4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think we all know that at some point in the future, Patrick Fertitta is the GM of the Houston Rockets.

He's been getting on the job training since the day daddy bought the franchise.

I don't know if he's qualified or not with a business degree from USC. Maybe he ends up doing a good job ... maybe not.

Either way, I don't think there is any escaping that future unless Daddy sells the team and that isn't at all likely.

It's a matter of when, not If.

roslolian likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Still makes no sense to me, Daddy can offer him any job that has no risk and no consequences......

If it fails, at least it is not the foul stain on the Fertitta's Name.....no idea why that should be wise.....to target the GM job.

Patrick is already in the War Room I believe and communicating with everyone on the building of the Practice Facility.....

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

hope u are wrong. That would be terrible.

Plowman likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You obviously can be a GM with just a lawyer degree like Stone....

Zen Tabak likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

No - the Rockets could certainly draft Mobley and/or Barnes and still draft Sengun. It is a myth that Sengun is only a center.

Also Green clicking lately wouldn’t keep me from taking Barnes or Mobley.

9. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

It's no myth. He's not a PF by any stretch of the imagination. The real myth is that Jalen's the worst player on the team, y'all ran with that all season then changed the subject

roslolian likes this.
  10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

John Wall wasn't a mistake. We got to unload Westbrook and get a 1st rounder for the trouble. I couldn't believe he finagled a 1st round pick out of Westbrook after the year he had with us. I also don't think Christian Wood was a mistake, because he flipped him for a 1st rounder we wouldn't have had otherwise too. That first rounder didn't work out, but it gave us another shot at a potential rebuild piece. I still think KPJ was a gamble worth taking when we're rebuilding from the ground up, but man, it sucks that we had to give up assets to be rid of him. I guess all I can say about that is that I'm glad they built all of those options into the contract or it would have cost us a hell of a lot more. Regardless, his salary was a big part of us being able to acquire Steven Adams this deadline, so it may not have been a total waste. We'll have to see how Adams comes back. Now, if Stone really offered Oladipo the contract he was rumored to have offered him that's just nuts. I understand the general premise of trying to rehab a young injured star to create an asset out of nowhere, but man, you don't give him that kind of salary on that gamble. You pay him as little as you can get away with paying him and see if he can rehab his way back into having some value.

Overall I think Stone has done a stellar job. And I think he should get a tattoo that says "I stole Alperen Sengun from Sam Presti".

Zen Tabak and OkayAyeReloaded like this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

This post reeks of hindsight bias. I seriously, seriously doubt the Rockets — or any team — would have drafted Sengun and Mobley in the same draft. Yeah, you can claim it makes sense now, but it would have been absurd at the time.

13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

It’s not a bad speculation that they wouldn’t have selected Sengun, if they had Mobley. On defense, Sengun has to play center. He is way too slow to guard forwards. It’s all hindsight anyway. I don’t think anyone in that draft other than Barnes has been as good as projected.

14. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Looks like a lot have changed in the past couple weeks. We are now above .500, which is nothing short of amazing given what happened the past few years. Time for an update with 2 new additions.

Jock Landale
    -Was he injured this whole time? He’s a good back up center that has high IQ, adequate defender, and can stretch the floor.
    -This is one of the best value contracts in the NBA
    -$8 million per year, 1+3, w/ 3 non-guaranteed years (guaranteed late June every year). In 2026 he counts for < 5% of the cap.
    -Unless we need the cap space, we’ll pick up the contract and it’s easily tradable

Jalen Green
    -Did I (we) give up on him too soon?
    -While many teams we played during the win streak have either injured stars or are actively tanking, it is hard to win in the NBA, so we have to give Jalen credit here. He is evening playing hard on defense.
    -At minimum, Jalen now has positive trade value, but we have to decide whether he is in our long term plans
    -Ceiling for Jalen Green is Zach Lavine and Zach may not be worth the max with the current salary cap.
    -Current cap will allow for Sengun to receive a max contract, but we still have to pay Jabari/Tari/Amen? and other players through trade/draft.
    -Unfortunately, 6’4 combo/shooting guards w/ below average defense are like NFL running backs in terms of value. See Colin Sexton.
    -The ideal situation is to either sign him to a 2+1 heavily incentivized contract or wait until next summer for extension (trade is also okay, but 4/5 year large/max extension would be a bad idea)
    -Need to re-evaluated in 3 weeks as 7/8 teams we play next are playoff teams. If Jalen continues his dominance, this growth may be real
    -I’m enjoying this ride either way and it’s exciting for sure

Rashmon and AroundTheWorld like this.
  15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

A hater comes in to give backhanded compliments. You are outdated in your analysis. First for saying Green is 6:4" and second for saying he's a bad defender. His ceiling is much higher than Lavine. Now go away. Don't reply. Just go away.

16. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Fourteen-game win improvement and counting. Draft picks are turning into borderline all-stars or potential stars. Ime might be a COY hire and signing.

Almost every vet free agent or move has contributed to wins this season, FVV, Brooks, Landale, Holiday, and Jeff Greene.

This is a successful season and might become a clear home run, great job by Stone.

17. invocux

invocux Member

Stone did a good job. Jalen over Mobley was the correct choice because Mobley is extremely limited offensively. He needs to be spoonfed to be a factor and you can't win a chip by only playing defense since refs are not allowing anyone to play defense so accept it offence > defence in this era. Defense gains importance in the playoffs but still you will have to make your shot down the stretch. Mobley looked like a total bum last season in playoffs and he still can't shoot. No i'd rather have Jalen than Mobley. Drafting Sengun was a phenomenal job. Jabari is definitely not a miss. Cam will be a bucket. I like him so far.

roslolian likes this.
  18. meh

meh Contributing Member

It's weird people are somehow on the Stone bandwagon at the same time Jalen Green is balling. We are talking about a GM who was one Sean Marks "yes" away from having traded Green and presumably 2 Nets picks and probably one of the pick swaps for Mikal Bridges. I'm not saying I even believe he's a bad GM, because both FVV and Brooks signings look to be good, and I have no issues overall with his draft picks to this point. Just that if you are one of those "stupid media people and not real Rockets fans gave up on Green too soon and nee to apologize" person, you should also believe Stone is a horrible judge of talent cause he was one of those people.

kubli9 likes this.
  19. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How are you Jalen's biggest fan and not know how tall he is? Jalen IS 6'4. This is on ESPN, WIKI, and Basketball Reference. Jalen also has been a poor defender in his whole NBA tenure. How am I a hater?

Jalen Green has been wildly inconsistent outside this run. It is unlikely Jalen Green will reach Zach Lavine's prime numbers, but we can all hope.

For 2020-21 Zach Lavine averaged 27.4 pts, 5.0 rebs, 4.9 ast on 50.7% FG and 41.9% on 3s. That's 63.4% true shooting percentage. This is elite. You think Jalen's ceiling is much higher? Put some respect on Zach Lavine's name.

#139 Medicine N Music, Mar 25, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
    AroundTheWorld and Nook like this.
  20. Ancient Moabite

But the better comparisons for Green would be Tmac/KB24/KG/A Harrington etc

Bron/Amare/Moses pretty much are the ones who did it day one out of HS

Do you think that Kobe/Tmac were at the Zach numbers that you posted in the beginning / end of their 3rd NBA season?

Kobe was so hyped up by winning that dunk contest by the media and Lakers nation, that he was voted all star starter at 15ppg, in his second season and his numbers are not close to that elite level that you posted on Lavine 21' season, who I bet wasn't all star starter with those numbers, or was he??

Kobe took off year 4 and avg 28 ppg, he never looked back once, Tmac was ripe n ready by time 4th season was up

And had both Tmac/Kobe got the starting job rook season they would have been just like Green, they would have scored more and been inefficient and inconsistent and you would have seen it more because they would be playing starter minutes like Green

And they still would have turned out the same but gaining more consistency with experience and confidence/honing skills etc because its harder HS to NBA as guard more so than big men

If Kobe/Tmac can reach those Levine numbers, the Rockets front office is banking on the same for Green

Even KG took 3-4 years to put it together when he came out of HS

Green is no Al Harrington, that's for sure

And if he gets Lavine 21' numbers or D Mitchell/Booker consistency, that will be welcomed with open arms

He can get 25ppg on 57-59 ts% by end of 4th season, the Rockets have mouths to feed but him n AS have a chance to be Jokic/Murray lite, but more explosive being AS & Green will be glad to put you on the wrong end of a BSPN top 10 highlight reel

roslolian and fchowd0311 like this.