1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stimulus Debate in the time of Corona

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Mar 17, 2020.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

The insanity of trump's presidency continues...

Trump removes inspector general who was to oversee $2 trillion stimulus spending
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...0c6cb8-78ea-11ea-9bee-c5bf9d2e3288_story.html

btw, O'Donnell is a former trial attorney with the DOJ before being assigned as acting IG for the EPA.

President Trump Picks CBP Adviser Jason Abend for DoD IG Post
    https://www.executivegov.com/2020/04/president-trump-picks-cbp-adviser-jason-abend-for-dod-ig-post/

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He's a piece of ****, this is his Presidency golden parachute. People like Abend need to made to realize there's a good chance they could go to prison, probably on state charges rather than federal onces since the federal judiciary is becoming overly corrupted as well.

NewRoxFan, Hakeemtheking and RayRay10 like this.
  3. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

How do we pay for it all?

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Good Lord you posted John Stossel? Please don't ever listen to John Stossel ever. But especially not now

Andre0087 likes this.
  5. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I listen to a lot of different sources CNN, Fox News, NPR, OAN, that doesn't change my opinion...just keeps me more informed. I work with a lot of different people and it's in my best interest to diversify myself when it comes to news.

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. NewRoxFan

7. NewRoxFan

8. Major

Major Member

This isn't the banks' fault. The SBA has completely f-ed this up - that's on them. Banks don't have answers to the questions small businesses have, because the SBA hasn't figured out how they plan to run the program.

JuanValdez likes this.
  9. NewRoxFan

Oh. My. God.

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. NewRoxFan

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, he literally wants to put his name on it. I wonder if he is going to campaign on how he sent everyone the checks?

But he isn't a shipping clerk.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. edwardc

edwardc Member

What a *ucking clown show how can anyone back this jack*ss it must be stated again no other president has ever done these things to make it about themselves this is without a doubt THE WORST POTUS EVER.

13. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Cool :rolleyes:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/shahar...ting-17-million-stimulus-checks/#30eeebb2665b

How Some Rich Americans Are Getting Stimulus ‘Checks’ Averaging $1.7 Million

A $1.7 million stimulus check?

While wealthy Americans are not eligible for the comparatively measly $1,200 stimulus checks that are now being disbursed to many Americans, they are on pace to do even better. 43,000 taxpayers, who earn more than $1 million annually, are each set to receive a $1.7 million windfall, on average, thanks to a provision buried in the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act.

You may or may not be surprised that some of the language conveniently inserted into the $2.2 trillion-dollar Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES) skews heavily in favor of the wealthy. The provision doling out literally millions of dollars is aimed at a limitation that was created in 2017 when Republicans overhauled the tax code. It “temporarily suspends a limitation on how much owners of businesses formed as “pass-through” entities can deduct against their non-business income, such as capital gains, to reduce their tax liability,” according to The Washington Post.

The Joint Commission on Taxation report, requested by Senator Sheldon Whitehouse and Representative Llloyd Doggett, concluded that suspending the “pass through” limitation would cost the government over $90 billion in 2020 alone. Critics have argued that the benefits disproportionately accrue to wealthy individuals, including hedge fund investors and real-estate business owners and the JCT confirms this.

“For those earning $1 million annually, a tax break buried in the recent coronavirus relief legislation is so generous that its total cost is more than total new funding for all hospitals in America and more than the total provided to all state and local governments,” said Doggett. “Someone wrongly seized on this health emergency to reward ultrarich beneficiaries, likely including the Trump family, with a tax loophole not available to middle class families. This net operating loss loophole is a loser that should be repealed.”

The analysis by the JCT showed in just how skewed a fashion the tax provision benefits the wealthy. It found that, “82 percent of the benefits of the policy go to about 43,000 taxpayers who earn more than $1 million annually.”

[​IMG]
    SOURCE: JOINT COMMITTEE ON TAXATION

If you take the report’s calculations at face value, that means that, on average, each of the eligible taxpayers would get a windfall of ~$1.7 million!

[​IMG]
    Methodology showing average 2020 benefit for the 43,000 taxpayers who earn more than $1 million ... [+]
    This number represents an average (mean) and clearly not all of those earning “only” $1 million will receive a $1.7 million tax cut; however, just as some may receive less than the $1.7 million, some may benefit much more. The numbers may be closer to the truth because of additional language that applies the policy retroactively “so losses in 2018 and 2019 can be ‘carried back’ against the past five years.”

The CARES Act is intended to provide much needed relief across all sectors of the US economy. However, it is troubling to see wealthy individuals receive extravagant benefits when millions of Americans, many of whom are struggling to make ends meet or coping with food insecurity, will receive so little.

14. shorerider

shorerider Member

If it hasn't already been posted...

15. shorerider

shorerider Member

16. NewRoxFan

17. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Serious question. I feel what he is saying, but what about all of us smaller people that have a huge chunk of our retirement in the 401k market, wouldn't it hurt millions of us as well if we let these companies fail?

I understand what he is saying, **** all the rich people they will make it out okay, but I'm still curious about many of us that do have money invested in the 401k, **** all of us too just because we have a insignificant amount relative to the rich people?

Not trying to be a hard head and just want to understand the logic. I totally hear him on the rest, I'm just confused about this and maybe I don't understand it enough which is why I am hoping for an explanation.

jiggyfly likes this.
  18. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Well, at least the Senate is working on it, and not on an extended break...oh wait...

And the man that leads the Senate is sitting on his laurels, crowing about the stimulus package right now instead of working with the Dems and the White House to try and get more passed:

McConnell hits McGrath over attacks in new ad

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) is going after his Democratic opponent over her attack ads in a new ad of his own.

In an ad set to air Wednesday and shared exclusively with The Hill, McConnell touts his work passing a $2.2 trillion coronavirus relief package and hits Democrat Amy McGrath for her ads against him.

“Amy McGrath attacks Mitch McConnell for leading passage of the biggest economic rescue in American history. But while McGrath attacks, Mitch is working across the aisle to get hundreds of millions in federal dollars for Kentucky’s hospitals,” a narrator says. “McGrath attacks. Mitch McConnell leads.”

McConnell’s campaign did not say how much money went into the ad but said it was a "substantial statewide buy."

https://www.ktvn.com/story/42014064/mnuchin-schumer-rev-up-talks-as-smallbusiness-air-runs-dry

Mnuchin, Schumer Rev Up Talks as Small-Business Aid Runs Dry

Talks in Washington are accelerating on a stopgap coronavirus relief bill aimed at helping small businesses.

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin spoke Wednesday about President Trump's request for $250 billion in emergency aid.

House and Senate Democratic aides spoke by phone with Treasury officials later in the day.

The money would be used to shore up a paycheck subsidy program that gives grants to businesses with fewer than 500 workers so that they can maintain payroll and pay rent.

Top GOP leaders are vowing to stick closely to President Trump’s request despite Democratic demands to add funding for states and hospitals.

19. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

We need to get the USPS a bailout if the GOP wants a deal on any more funds.

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

BioAnal looking like a buy.