1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steve's DWI Trial Today

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

<i>Officer testifies Rockets star was driving drunk
    By CAROL CHRISTIAN
    Copyright 2002 Houston Chronicle

Houston Rockets guard Steve Francis opted this morning for a trial by judge, rather than jury, on a charge of drunken driving.

Seated next to high-powered defense attorneys Rusty Hardin and Chip Lewis, Francis appeared in County Court at Law No. 4, a misdemeanor court.

Officer Charles Allen of the Houston Police Department's DWI Task Force testified Francis was intoxicated when arrested about 4:45 a.m. Dec. 16 after he ran a red light on Westheimer at Fountainview.

As he approached Francis in his white Mercedes-Benz, Allen testified he smelled alcohol. No liquor was in the car, he said.

He said Francis, 25, told him he had had four drinks and also had taken the pain killer vicodin. The basketball star was sidelined occasionally last season by migraine headaches and last month had surgery on his right shoulder.

Francis was asked to perform sobriety tests both at the scene and at the police station at 61 Riesner, but failed all of them, the officer testified.

In a video of tests at the station, Francis did not appear greatly impaired, but the officer said that his test performance, in combination with other factors, led him to conclude Francis was intoxicated.

For example, when Francis was asked to recite the alphabet from "G" to "X," the basketball star did not stop at X but finished the alphabet, Allen testified. The officer also said he had to repeat instructions.

Francis chose not to take a breath test, the officer said.

Using his own cellular telephone, Francis called an attorney in Washington, Allen testified.

"He yelled at her, `I'm not intoxicated. I've only been taking my vicodin,' " Allen said, under direct examination by prosecutor Chay Taylor.

Testimony continued this afternoon with cross examination by the defense. </i>

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Note: They showed some footage from the video tape police have of the night Francis was arrested and Stevie did not look good. He was wobbling and looked a tad tipsy.

3. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I don't know about the tests that were taken but reciting the alphabet and going through x is understandable. I would probably do the same thing.

4. tozai

tozai Member

This isn't our business...Steve haters jump up, here's another chance

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

How does Vicodin Affect you? Esp mixed with Alcohol [even a bit of
    alcohol that is not enough to get ya drunk]

The ABCs thing is . . a habit thing. That and not listening

Rocket River
    I think Steve's lawyer can get him off .. . .
    do a public service announcement or some bull****

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I don't care who it is .. Steve Francis or some bum off the street.

Throw the whole library at him ... not just the book.

Drunk Drivers piss me off!

7. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I take it that in Steve's case the charge is Disruptive While Interviewing.

8. verse

verse Contributing Member

i really hope steve is found to be not guilty. i wouldn't want anything to possibly tarnish his trade value.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Vicodin Side Effects:

From http://www.accessmednet.com/prescription-drug-information/vicodin-hydrocodone.html#side-effects

Could he have been impaired by the Vicodin? Or perhaps an otherwise legally acceptable amount of alcohol mixed with Vicodin? Could he have been suffering from a bout of vertigo from Meniere's Disease that made him perform as well as a drunk? Whatever the case, he probably shouldn't have been driving.

10. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Fat chance. Rusty is his lawyer - Franchise is going to get a slap on the wrist.

11. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

Off-top: Since I am a car nut, especially Mercedes,

Does anyone know what Mercedes does he drive? Exactly which model and engine? Just curious.

-G'day-

12. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Misdemeanor DWI, first offense...Probation and a suspended license

The Steve haters should be all over this one. If he gets a stiff penalty, then he's a drunk driving SOB. If he gets a light penalty, then he's a spoiled NBA superstar drunk SOB that only got off lightly because he can afford a high priced attorney

Either way, I think he can afford the increased insurance premiums with the fat contract he's about to sign...

13. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

When asked about how Steve would feel if he had hit a child walking across the street, he commented that he didn't know how that would affect his driving.

14. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

lol verse.

All I have to say is: perfect ****ing timing.

:)

15. Darth West

Darth West Member

This is everybody’s business ... drunk driving is a major problem that too often destroys the life of victims and their families … It sure doesn’t improve the situation that this is a guy that people kids to look up too... if you hate/dislike Stevie, so what? ... Drunk drivers are scum ...

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

He not ready for Jim Rome's Celebrity Drunk Bus. . . .
    dial 1 800 AAAAAAAAARRRRGGGHHHHHHHHHHH

Rocket River

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

When told to recite the names of all his teammates, he said,

"Molbey . . . the Wiz . . . and ummm Cuthino ummm and Mo o o schie... yeah...Moochie! I loves Moooshcie, hesh got funny hair. And Molbley...and umm TMo...yeah...my homeboy from D.Cthe. uhhhhmmm, who else, ummm, I remember, wait?"

who else, officer Allen said,

"ummm, Walt, ... and ... my main boy Cuthino. You know...all my boyz. Oh, and Two Sthanwiches. Hehe. He told Rrudy to fphuck-off onceth...hehe."

OK, son, that's fine.

#17 heypartner, Jun 24, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2002
  18. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Come on. Who in here can honestly say that they haven't ever gotten in the car after having one too many drinks? The idea is that if you are driving after drinking, you have to pay more attention and be very careful. Steve should've known better than to run a red light if he had a bunch of booze and vicatin in his system. Hell, I just drove home from Sam's Boat last Thursday after like 6 pints. But I didn't run any lights, and I kept my speed down, and focused on everything around me.

He shouldn't have any problem getting off, and will probably just get some probation.

19. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

In a related story, Francis was injured because he inadvertently stepped between Rusty Hardin and a camera . . .

(Lawyer joke everyone. Please relax, Francis was not actually injured).

20. jwun

jwun Member

I saw Steve on MTV Cribs awhile back, and I think it was a CLK 320 or 430 (It was only shown from the side briefly) it matches the description in the article. It didn't look like a AMG 55, but then it was a while ago, so I could be wrong.