1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stevens Not Starting...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rocketman95, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

McCree will per Berman.

2. Bmw#13

Bmw#13 Member

Thank You!!I wonder what took so long?Stevens Suck!!!:mad: :mad:

OK, I feel better now.

3. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

This is such great news!
    I already knew he sucked, but it was shown all the more when I saw the "highlights" of the Titans game, and every-freaking-time there was a big Titans play....there was Stevens.....missing a tackle...missing the coverage....missing EVERYTHING!!! AAArrrrrrgggggghhhh!

Thank you thank you thank you Dom..

I really hope that McCree is ready to come in and kick ass!.
    We need some serious help in that secondary.

4. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Sweet. Now we'll finish 13-3! :D

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

HOOOOORAYYYYYYY!!!!!!:D

6. goophers

goophers Member

It amazes me to see how many times Stevens gets on TV. He's always the guy who is the last one trailing the man going into the endzone. Whenever there's a TD, just look towards the center of the field and behind the play, and there is Tattoo.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

You sure you aren't talking about Coleman? He had his worst game as a Texan on Sunday. I haven't seen so many missed tackles since...well, the UT defense the day before.

Stevens sucks, but the whole defense sucks this year, not just him. Hurry back AG.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

This team really misses Seth Payne. He really disrupted offenses, now they can barley get to the quarterback. Also, the team misses James Posey.

9. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Texans try out new look
    Davis, McCree replace Mack, Stevens at practice
    By CARLTON THOMPSON
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

Dom Capers typically does not announce changes in the starting lineup until after Friday practices, which explains why the Texans coach wasn't tipping his hand Wednesday about the noticeable differences on the practice field.

Rookie running back Domanick Davis got most of the work with the first-team offense, and veteran free safety Marlon McCree replaced Matt Stevens with the starting group. If past practices are any indication, both players are likely to be in the starting lineup Sunday when the Texans host the New York Jets.

Nevertheless, Capers wasn't prepared to make anything official after the first practice of the week.

"Guys earn playing time by performance and what they've done," Capers said. "Domanick has earned playing time, so you will be seeing more of Domanick."

As for McCree, whom the Texans claimed off waivers from Jacksonville last month, Capers said: "We're working Marlon more. We'll go through the week of practice and make a decision at the end of the week. We feel now that we've had Marlon long enough. He's been around here, and you very well could see us work him in."

If McCree and Davis start Sunday against the Jets, Stevens and running back Stacey Mack will have reduced roles. Stevens declined comment Wednesday, and Mack was not available.

Mack has started all five games at running back for the Texans and, while he leads the team with 211 rushing yards, he's averaging just 2.9 yards a carry. The Texans have used somewhat of a running-back-by-committee approach with Mack, Davis and rookie Tony Hollings, but Davis has been the most effective.

Davis would welcome the opportunity to make his first NFL start after being used primarily as the Texans' third-down back in the first five games, but he said he wasn't reading anything into Wednesday's extra work.

"I really don't know," Davis said. "But I can say I'm doing a little more than I've been doing. I'm not sure. I feel like I've been doing OK.

"I'm making a few things happen whenever I get a chance. I could be doing a lot better. I can block better and finish plays better, but I'm doing all right. I'm ready to do whatever they ask me to do. I'm here to help the team in whatever role I can help."

Mack signed with the Texans as a free agent during the offseason and was hoping to be a featured back for the first time in his career. He backed up Fred Taylor in Jacksonville during his first four years in the NFL.

Turf toes on both feet have slowed Mack and created an opening for Davis, who has made the most of the opportunities. In addition to being the Texans' most efficient runner, Davis also has caught 13 passes for 134 yards.

When the Texans claimed McCree off waivers, general manager Charley Casserly said it was to upgrade the overall 53-man roster, but it was no coincidence the move came after Stevens got off to a slow start. However, Stevens had his two best games in the weeks following McCree's arrival and seemed to be holding off the challenge.

Apparently, the coaching staff has come to the conclusion a change is needed. The Texans rank last in pass defense.

McCree started 27 of 29 career games with the Jaguars, including all 16 in 2002 when he finished second in the AFC with six interceptions and fifth in the NFL. First-year Jacksonville coach Jack Del Rio installed a new defensive system, and the team used a second-round pick on free safety Rashean Mathis, reducing McCree to a backup role during training camp.

McCree was on the inactive list for his first game with the Texans and played exclusively on special teams in the other two.

"They put me in the starting rotation (Wednesday), so I'm just trying to make a contribution to the team and help out the best way I can and help the defense win some games," McCree said. "I didn't come over here expecting anything, but I always come to work prepared. In this business, you're always one play away from starting anyway. I wasn't caught off guard, but I wasn't expecting this."

Asked if he thought the coaches were making a change because the Texans allowed 421 passing yards and surrendered 11 pass plays of more than 20 yards in Sunday's 38-17 loss at Tennessee, McCree said: "I don't know. You have to ask the coaches that. I'm just happy for the opportunity. Hopefully, I can go out there and make the best of it."

Stevens, whom the Texans acquired from New England in the expansion draft, has started all 21 games at free safety during the Texans' brief existence. He was released during the offseason in a move that allowed the Texans to save $2 million on the salary cap, but he later re-signed at a reduced salary.

In the meantime, the Texans entertained free agents Cory Hall, Damien Robinson and Keion Carpenter, each of whom signed with other teams.

10. codell

codell Contributing Member

I know. If only James Posey hadn't decided to play basketball for Memphis. :p

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

:D

Sorry, I meant Jeff.

12. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Praise the lord!!! About freakin' time...Stevens sucks azz...he is always late, trailing or blowing coverages...

I like DDavis as the starter...

13. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Gotta admit, Coleman was not doing well either, but when I saw the coverage of the game on HBO's Inside the NFL...every big play they showed the Titans making....there was Stevens, eitherr getting bowled over or just flatout leaving the receiver wide-open..:mad:
    Dom has got to get the defense to step up or this is going to be a long year.

14. Remix

Remix Member

This is happening in the 7th week of the nfl? stevens should of been benched in week 1 were Chris Chambers ran right past him for a touchdown, and missed a touchdown saving tackle by Ricky Williams.

15. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I'm happy with these moves. We might have waited a little long to stand Stevens on the sidelines, but I really like the aggresiveness of the Mack move.

You can't stop DD you only try to contain him.

Go Texans!! :)

16. spence99

spence99 Member

Stevens sucks. The safety is supposed to help pick up WR's going deep, yet Stevens never seemed to be within 5 yards of a receiver. Benching Stevens will be a big help I think.

17. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

It's 12:45 Sun morning.

Stevens STILL sucks.

but at least he will be sucking from the sidelines....:D:D:D

18. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

curse the no edit to hell!!!!

12:45 SAT morning.....argh. Its time to go to sleep obviously...:(

19. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I did a double-take, and knew there was something wrong with that post. Somehow, I still didn't catch it.:cool:

20. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Ya know, I've come to this forum almost every day since the day McCree was signed looking for just this post! I can't wait until today to see the starting lineups WITHOUT that no-talent's name in it!

Prediction: McCree picks off a pass today.