1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen Strasburg on the block

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by FLASH21, Oct 19, 2015.

?

Would you deal for Stras?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. No

28 vote(s)
    58.3%
  1. Buck Turgidson

Denard Span? Sure. Tony Rendon? Ok. Jordan Zimmermann? Yep. Nobody else that could be available looks interesting to me.

No way I give Strasburg the kind of money he'll want. Way too much of a wildcard healthwise.

2. mick fry

mick fry Member

Gattis for Burg. Git R Dun!!!

3. PhiSlammaJamma

Would do.

In the last month he was beasting when pretty every other national was slipping in the wrong direction. He appears to finally be back.

He wins 60% of his games for career. With no real slippage. He's a huge upgrade over McHugh and gives us a legit three. I think he's better than Price, but would take Price too.

in his last 5 games
    7.1, 13k, 3ER, 1BB, 5H
    8.0, 14k, 0ER, 1BB, 1H
    7.0, 10k, 1ER, 1BB, 6H
    8.0, 13k, 1ER, 1BB, 3H
    6.0, 7k, 0ER, 1BB, 6H

I think the Nationals are nuts. The Nationals just had a bad year. They will be up again next year and if they think they have trouble catching the Mets now, how on earth can they match their pitching without Strasburg.

4. awc713

awc713 Member

That's why moving Strasburg is so puzzling. I cannot recall the last time a "win-now" club moved a player comparable to Strasburg. I agree that they're not looking to take a step back at the ML level. Perhaps moving Stras is more in line with redoing their payroll structure to compete in both 2016 and beyond.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Harper is actually younger than Springer/Appel and just one year older than McCullers.

Would you trade Correa for those three? Didn't think so. Harper is Correa except 2 years older and with a likely MVP award.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Perhaps... that's what happens when you pay one pitcher $30 million/year (albeit a damn good one).

That being said, Strasburg is still a relative bargain for next year.

7. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I agree with this

BUT

Their team chemistry seemed to be horrible. Obviously a lot of that has been aimed at the Papelbon addition, and that's certainly a big part of it. But there were issues way before that deal too, and although I have no idea what all the guys on that team "really think", Stras doesn't seem to be highly thought of as a guy the players "really like"

So having said that, the Nats might be willing to cut bait for a little less than what some would think. Now they aren't giving him away, but it would certainly be worth looking into

So what would "I" be willing to move for him

Appel would be my top chip, and then add on. Like you say Nick, that might not be what they are looking for, they might want MLB now talent...but if they really want to move on, it's worth a talk

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Interesting theory... but I doubt Strasburg is the cancer that caused that team to implode against the Mets... haven't heard of his actions or demeanor causing rifts.

As it is, he's a pitcher who only goes every 5th game... in a pretty individualistic sport. And in the midst of their meltdown and 'internal" problems, he had a game where he threw 8 shutout innings with 14 K's.

9. astros123

astros123 Member

people who think appel still is a top prospect are kidding themselves.

10. The Beard

Yea i'm not saying he was the "cancer"

Just saying it seems that he and the front office haven't necessarily been on the "same page"

And when that is the case and you have an implosion like they had, it's possible they are ready to move on.

Not saying it's likely they just "want him gone"....but you just never know, when you are dealing with baseball GM's you are dealing with real people, and you never know how some may feel about situations

Also, with a guy like Appel, many may already think he is "not as good as advertised"...but all it take is ONE gm to think he is still a top guy, and boom you got a deal

Just saying it's worth looking into

11. The Beard

according to you, yea ok

thing is, everyone doesn't necessarily think like you do

most people didn't think Altuve was a "top prospect"

most people didn't think Keuchel was a "top prospect"

most people didn't think McHugh was a "top prospect"

could go on and on....all it takes is one GM who think Appel is possibly great, and you have value

on the other hand, Luhnow might totally disagree with you and Appel might not be on the market in any situation....just never know

12. astros123

astros123 Member

dude you think the Nats would accept a package around Appel for Strasburg? are you joking ? LOL you guys are delusional. Would have to be reed + appel + fisher + vy or something around that.

13. astros123

astros123 Member

Altuve had a .386 OBP and had a good BA throughout the Minors.

Appel hasnt shown ****, hes been AWFUL and inconsistent his entire tenure. Lets not even talk about his weak mentality.

14. Buck Turgidson

When you saw him pitch, what did you see?

15. astros123

astros123 Member

Are you seriously telling me you could get an young ace with the main the focus MARK APPEL? lmao some of you guys crack me up. Go back in the mark appel thread and people are screaming about cutting him and how hes a loser and blah blah. All of a sudden hes going to be main trade piece for strasburg.

gimme what youre smoking

16. Buck Turgidson

No, skippy spazmore, I didn't say any of those things. I asked when you saw Mark Appel pitch, what did you see?

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Not s***

18. astros123

astros123 Member

dude was a 4 year graduate along with being the number 1 pick expecting to contribute short term. Dude instead has a 5+ era, batters are hitting .280 and has a 1.44 whip.

And hes going to be the main piece surrounding one of the best young pitchers in the majors. give me a fkin break

19. Buck Turgidson

Sorry, you are obviously trying to argue with someone else.

20. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Not bad. I would hate to trade McCullers but for Bryce it would be very tempting