1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Statistics show that conservative judges are more prone to legislate from the bench

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by r35352, Nov 3, 2005.

1. r35352

r35352 Member

Conservatives say that justices should practice "judicial restraint" and allow the legislature to pass legislation rather than trying to override the legislature in an attempt to "legislate from the bench".

But by this measure, we see that it is the conservative justices that practice the least amount of judicial restraint and practice the most amount of "legislating from the bench". Justice Clarence Thomas, appointed by President George H. W. Bush, was the most inclined, voting to invalidate 65.63 percent of laws; Justice Stephen Breyer, appointed by President Bill Clinton, was the least, voting to invalidate 28.13 percent. The tally for all the justices appears below.

Thomas 65.63 %
    Kennedy 64.06 %
    Scalia 56.25 %
    Rehnquist 46.88 %
    O’Connor 46.77 %
    Souter 42.19 %
    Stevens 39.34 %
    Ginsburg 39.06 %
    Breyer 28.13 %

The data suggests that those justices often considered more "liberal" - Justices Breyer, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, David Souter and John Paul Stevens - vote least frequently to overturn Congressional statutes, while those often labeled "conservative" vote more frequently to do so. At least by this measure (others are possible, of course), the latter group is the most activist.

Despite the myth that "liberals" legislate from the bench and practice judicial activism, it is clear that that it is actually "conservatives" that do so. The data clearly bears this out.

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

3. MartianMan

MartianMan Contributing Member

Uh oh. Use of facts are clearly prohibited by ultra-conservatives. Let's all wait for the one-liners either asking for more facts, deriding your source, laughing at liberals, or just overall insults that will surely come.

4. CometsWin

It is basic board etiquette to provide a link or source for your "facts".

5. MartianMan

I didn't post anything related to your post.

6. r35352

r35352 Member

7. CometsWin

You posted an out of left field tirade about facts and sources right after I asked for a link to the source of his statistics. Alright...

8. MartianMan

really? I said "deriding the source", not anything about asking for a link. I said "asking for more facts" not anything about asking for a link. So please read and then re-read posts before responding.

9. CometsWin

Since I asked for a link which would provide the source, thus providing the legitimacy of the data, and you then spoke of deriding the source, it appears you did post something related. Maybe if I re-read the sequence of posts it'll come out differently but I doubt it. Perhaps you could recommend an English tutor so I can decipher your myriad of insightful posts a little more effectively. :)

10. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

I think MartianMan wasn't addressing you, CometsWin. You were ASKING for a source, not deriding it. MartianMan was anticipating attacks on the article itself and not your request for a link.

Link requests are very common here. I have rarely seen people get flamed for asking for one.

You were right to request a link, of course. The article makes a bold claim and of course a link is required.
    :)

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Legally, the phrase "legislating from the bench" is about as stupid and meaningless a phrase as "judicial activism", though it's a handy right wing code word.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't actually want to get into a debate about this other than to say I sense these stats are very misleading. It is more anecdotal than statistical. We're talking about the actions of a small handful of judges, over a finite amount of time. I would suspect the political landscape had a greater effect on these numbers than the activism of the judges in question. To say these are statistics that indicate some tendency among conservative judges seems to me to be simple lying (no offense).

13. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Except when it reflects negatively on conservative judges....then it's a handy left wing code word ;).

14. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Can you elaborate? I remember a judge in Texas basically taking control of the prison system (I believe the issue was overcrowding) and straight up dictating policy. That doesn't seem to be consistent with what judges are supposed to do, but rather what the legislatures are supposed to do. Since you're a lawyer I'd be interested in hearing more specifically what you mean.

15. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

frnakly I'm surprised that more right-wing conservatives aren't judges. I mean, they're so good at judging other people, plus their whole mantra is "do as I say, not as I do". Perfect for judging :rolleyes:

16. SamFisher

How is that example "legislating from the bench"? :confused: There is nothing legislative about the example you described. If anything administering prisons is an executive function. I'm not that familiar with the actual rulings, but I don't see any "legislative" fucntion being used in finding that the Texas prison system conditions were so decrepit and inhumane as to violate constitutional protections against cruel and unusual punishment.

Really, I should be asking you what "legislating from the bench" means. I actually don't know what it means. We didn't learn about it in law school. I would ask you what "judicial activism" means, but I already know the answer - it's when judges make decisions that republicans don't like.

17. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Wow...way to make a discriminatory statement about an entire group of people.

18. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Well, since you're the one saying its a meaningless term one would think you'd have some insight. Alas, I should have known better considering the source.

19. SamFisher

So you're already starting with the insults Hayes? That sucks, I was being relatively civil to you and I addressed your concerns as best I could.

Don't you understand why I am unable to define a meaningless term? Of course I can't define it! That's what I'm saying: it doesn't mean anything - that's the point, and it's not exactly subtle. I don't think you can formulate a workable definition either, but I invite you to try.

You can make that phrase mean just about anything, just like "judicial activism" - which is why you can come up with a study (such as the one that is the topic of this thread) that says that conservative judges "legislate from the bench" even though the catchphrase happens to be a Republican invention.

Judges both republican and democrat appointed or elected alike decide cases, based on their interpretation of the law, for the most part. That's what the judge did in the Ruiz texas prison cases - he decided that the texas prison system was operating in violation of the 8th amendment. I don't call that legislating from the bench. I call that a judge, doing the job he/she is paid to do.

Now one can argue that any decision that protects people's rights is "legislating from the bench", (like Brown v. Board of Education), just like you can argue that any decision that denies people's rights (Dred Scott) is the same thing - Again, for the last time, what's the point of the phrase at all? It has no technical legal significance that I'm aware of. It's not in Black's Law Dictionary.

But if you want to answer with another insult, go ahead. Just give me one of your classic "Dick" one-worders.

#19 SamFisher, Nov 5, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2005
  20. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member