1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

States Ranked by 'Religiousness'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Chopped, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Chopped

Chopped Member

[​IMG]

surprising or not?

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Not surprising, but still interesting.

3. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

where was this taken from?

4. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

wow... the trend shows the more intelligent you are, the less religious you are...

makes sense.

i need to move out east.

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I dunno, those Southern states have oodles of spiritual Black people, and they were historically agrarian which meant they had little to no use for compulsory or large institutionalized education. That's probably a recipe for above average poverty, which is depressing, and crime and religion are both cheaper than and more fun than therapy. The IQ stuff is kind of meaningless, 95 - 104 is like sacker to checker.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Not surprising overall IMO. The more time you dedicate to religion, the less time you will have to actively go out and develop IQ - i.e. if you're in church on Sunday, you are probably doing less for your IQ than someone in a library at that point. I don't think there's anything here to indicate that lower IQ leads to religiousness

I am interested in how the divvorce statistics were put together. I wonder about things like the average age of people in those marriages, difficulty of marriage (w or without children), higher likelihood of some people to have false marriages (if any), and quality of marriage (probably impossible to quantify).

Basically I'm saying divorce has become such a worthless statistic that minor variations can mean absolutely nothing IMO.

Also, 21% of Missisipi is "impoverished"? How is that even possible? New York is among the lowest in theft and murder rates? I'm no expert, but does that make sense to everyone else?

8. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

The fact that they give high religiousness a red color shows that this was a story with a (not so hidden agenda).

Mathloom how many people do you know that spend their Sunday morning in the library?

I don't go to church but I surely do not spend my Sunday morning in the library.

How do you measure generosity?

That being said, I think the most clear correlation is probably between poverty and religiousness. people who have a difficult life tend to be more religious. Poverty is also correlated with crime. and poverty is probably negatively correlated with IQ. So I think there is a direct link between Poverty and most of the other variables. Poverty being the main determining variable.

#8 arno_ed, Feb 2, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Used book and microfiche burglars. Cuz, see, most libraries are closed on Sunday morning.

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Was just using an example to say where one guy has dedicated a part of his life to religion, the non-religious person will be able to use that time to further themselves IQ-wise.

Wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't true, but seems to make sense to me.

11. dback816

dback816 Member

NH is less religious than us Massholes?

Must be why they don't have sales tax, I sure love shopping there

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I would like to see this by Country.

DD

13. arno_ed

Generally you will probably see the same trends since all parametres are correlated with poverty.

1 person likes this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well one thing I've noticed is that religion permeates more in poor countriesm it serves as a crutch to people in their time of need and enables them to get through one more day of their miserable lives. Only when you're well off can you even start questioning God in the first place, doubting God's existence is probably not on your list of priorities when you got a hungry stomach to fill :p

15. Steve_Francis_rules

Except that they used a color scale from red (high) to green (low) for each of the variables.

16. DaDakota

Interesting, so are you saying that impoverished people tend to be more religious?

DD

17. arno_ed

No they do not. They use red for what they believe is bad and green for what they believe is good.

Example
    IQ: High (green) low (red)
    Murder rate: High (red) and Low (green).
    religiousness: High (red) and Low (Green)

So they judge with the collors.

18. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

This is not intended to be slander in any way, shape, or form - but christianity has always appealed to the opressed or impoverished.

19. DaDakota

I think all religions benefit.

Think about it, the recipe for most religions seems to be find an oppressed people, offer them salvation in the afterlife, and add water.

Which to me shows a direct correlation between educated/uneducated or poor/not poor....

It seems that people that don't have much tend to be more religious than those that do....at least to me.

DD

20. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Certainly, there is some of that, but I don't think any religion glorifies the downtrodden or the meek like christianity. Again, this is not meant as an insult per say, it's just a natural side effect of what christianity teaches.