1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

State of LA Clippers mind set

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by OldYelllowDog, Jun 9, 2014.

1. OldYelllowDog

OldYelllowDog Contributing Member

What are the ramifications of the Sterling trade if Donald continues to sue the NBA? Will this be a long dragged on affair or settled based on sate of mind? Will the Rockets benefit in any way?

2. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Don't sorry about this. By most accounts it's done. Sterling apparently signed a deal giving his wife ability to sell the team. The wife then indemnified the nba as part of the sale - if sterling sues the nba then she has to repay the nba. If sterling sues the nba, he in effect sues himself (ie his wife).

3. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

it seems like he just wants to have his ban overturned so he can attend games as well as the $2.5m fine removed, then he will proceed to sell the team. However, this will probably never happen, and shouldn't affect the Clippers unless the sale doesn't happen by the beginning of next season.

4. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

he can't attend games as a paying customer like everyone else?

5. PhiSlammaJamma

If they are going to Seattle, what players flee?

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

If Sterling lingers and the NBA isnt able to get rid of him, I could see Rivers leaving...

7. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wrong forum.

DD

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Les Alexander suggested to Adam Silver weeks ago the idea of allowing the players to become free agents as a punishment to Sterling. That just wont fly among all of the owners so I dont know how else the Rockets could take advantage of the situation.

In the players/coaches/fans minds right now I'm pretty sure they are already referring to their owner as Steve Ballmer. Its a done deal, this is just Sterling basking in the spotlight for a little bit longer....

Oh, and yes if you know anything about Sterling from his past, he's loving the spotlight, and the support he's getting from the Fox News watching America who thinks he's somehow being wronged cause in MERICA "They" (I guess meaning the man, government, NBA, or um....cough your wife) cant force you to sell your property... blah blah blah. If I have to here that crap from one more person I'm going to scream... NO the NBA did not ever force him to sell. The NBA NEVER even got to a vote... his wife and the family trust sold the damn team.

There is really nothing to see here. Just Sterling trying to keep himself in the spotlight a little longer before he dies. He's truly a pathetic little old man.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

That he called off the suit on that understanding that he'd be suing himself, and then brought it back again would suggest to me that his lawyers found a way to potentially sue the NBA without suing himself.

11. Awesome

Awesome Member

Not that he can win but what I'd do

Disinfranchise the team and let him have it.

Create a brand new team for Ballmer in LA and everybody gets what they want.

12. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

no he cannot. that's part of his lifetime ban. I believe it's too excessive, but unless they repeal his ban they are in for a long dragged out battle

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Sterling somehow wins this will be bad for the NBA. He will continue to hurt the brand and I suspect you would see boycotts of at least the Clippers, players and coaches opting out of their contracts, or at the minimum you might see a bunch of Clippers coming down with sudden injuries. If Sterling wins likely the rest of the owners will try to figure out something else to get him out.

14. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Players can't live without pay checks. No one is seriously going to boycott.