1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Starting PF?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by davidghall, Feb 21, 2013.

1. davidghall

davidghall Member

As the roster stands right now, who will be our starting PF? I would lean Thomas Robinson, but do DMo or Jones have a chance?

2. JamesBearden13

D-Mo is next up IMO. McHale increased his minutes last night to get him ready for Friday.

3. davidghall

davidghall Member

That would be nice. He will probably fit in with the starting lineup better. Although the rebounding combination on Asik/Robinson would be very intriguing. I wonder if Robinson could even play some C when we go small?

4. Normalus

Normalus Member

We have Smith for C spot, why should Rob play as 5? Aniway, I think Robinson would have about 25-30 minutes when D-Mo 10-15 and Terrence ''SlowMo'' Jones garbage time. My guess.

5. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I think it's Donut time! I think he is going
    to flourish in this high tempo system!

6. davidghall

davidghall Member

Smith is nice and all, but I'm not sure you want a guy like that playing quality minutes in the playoffs. Ideally, I'd like to see a 3 man rotation of Asik/D-Mo/Robinson manning the 4/5 spots if/when we get to the playoffs. Rotation is not going to be big enough for Smith come playoff time IMO.

7. QazQay

QazQay Member

Parsons will slide to pf most likely

8. redsmitty03

redsmitty03 Member

It has to be Robinson. D-Mo only played 5 minutes last night, in a game where he should have had 20 minutes easily with the lack of available players.

9. Ultramagnus

Ultramagnus Rookie

Delfino will move to the starting 5.

There will be no PF in the line up.

Small ball.

Delfino is strong enough to handle some bigger guys. While Parsons is long enough to manage as well.

Don't think T-Rob will get the nod just yet.

CD and McHale will work on him first.

D-Mo and Greg Smith most big men to start with the Fantastic 4.

10. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

Thomas Robinson will start. Too good on the glass, hustle player, finisher to not start him. If you start Delfino, you have no real scoring off the bench unless Garcia turns the clock back.

11. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

why can't it be parsons like last night. with delfino at the 3? McHale seems to have lots of confidence in Delfino.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

I think Robinson would be a good 6th man for when Asik gets his customary "I'm tired, let me sit on the bench" time. This means Donuts for the starting PF.

13. alverwi

alverwi Contributing Member

14. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I think Delfino moves into the starting 5, too.

15. redsmitty03

redsmitty03 Member

No scoring off the bench, just like the poster above stated. Delfino has to stay on the bench to provide that source of points in my opinion. We will find out shortly! Still have 85 minutes left for another deal to be made.

16. TripleSeven

TripleSeven Member

I think the fact that Dmo didn't play as much is because they don't want to get these players hopes up...

There's a new sheriff in town.

17. finsraider

finsraider Member

Lin / Beverly
    Harden / Garcia
    Delfino / Garcia
    Parsons / DMo
    Asik / Smith

Eventually, one of DMo or Smith will be shipped out.....whoever develops the more consistent post game will stay.

18. BeardlyBeardman

You'd think D-mo would get the first crack at it. Maybe he doesn't stick as the starter right away, but I just can't see McHale playing a rookie who is new in our system right off the bat.

I agree with others in that the pairing of Asik/D-mo, and Smith/T-Rob seems like a really great fit. You've got scoring and rebounding in both sets.

Doesn't really fit into our whole "tweeners who can shoot 3s" motif but maybe that's a good thing. We need some nasty in the paint when Asik comes off and we've got shooters ... Can't wait to see how the rotations play out sans logjam of guys who were unspectacular yet had earned their minutes. The Rio Grande Yo-Yo is ovah!

19. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Donuts deserves more of a chance, but it's a crap shoot what he'll do with it, and how he'll deal with the T-Rob pressure.

20. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

I say no way T-Rob gets the starting job. He is a ROOKIE with limited playing time and experience on a god-awful kings team where playing time and experience were to be had left and right.

MChale goes with guys he trusts, unless your name is Harden, Kobe, Durant you aren't getting traded to Houston and then thrust into the starting lineup (ok a few others too, but not unproven rookies!).

I think McHale will experiment with rotating Delfino, Parsons, and Smith at the PF spot for a bit but I really believe its DMOs to win. He should get a lot more playing time and the fact Morey was willing to trade PPAT AND Morris--whom we didn't have to trade is a sign they are ready to play more DMO and Jones (pending another trade).

So depending on matchups its going to be Delfino/Parsons/Smith in the beginning with DMO sprinkled in and then DMO will win the spot. T-Rob is a raw project. I don't think it would be smart to hand him the starting job at this juncture. I don't think McHale will either.