1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Star-Telegram] Backe for Soriano Swap?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Dec 13, 2004.

1. msn

msn Member

Nail, hit squarely on head.

2. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Good (and humorous) point Clutch.

Does anyone know if Soriano ever learned to layoff the low and away pitch? I've never seen someone swing the same pitch out of the strike zone so many times in a row.

3. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I guess you haven't followed the career of one Craig Biggio then...

4. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Exactly.

5. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

They so need a GM like Hunsicker.

6. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

how did soriano fall so fast?

a year ago or so he's looking like a badass second baseman who is going to annually give you an amazing 40/40 and now people are saying "woah, not brandon backe" when talking about trading him.

i guess when you can't field and strike out a ton that will happen but it still seems like he would be valuable.

of course, $8M is a lot of money.

#26 francis 4 prez, Dec 14, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

On the eight million....I'm sure the Rangers would pay a good portion of it considering they need pitching and the Astros have Burke.

8. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

LOL. I can't even watch him bat. I usually surf for a couple of minutes and come back to see the damage done. Sadly, he has become the butt of jokes with me and my sons, but realistically, he's done everything that management has asked of him.

9. msn

msn Member

That's one hell of a joke. I mean, even given the increasing strikeout totals and the perennial sucker-for-the-outside-slider, dude scores 90-110 runs every year, gets 60+ RBI from the leadoff position, 35+ doubles, and has a decent OBP.

I wish your family were laughing at me for the same reason.

10. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Exactly...I don't see it...

11. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

If the Astros are planning on increasing the payroll to acquire Soriano, Clemens, & Beltran then I say so long Backe. But sounds like a pipe dream.

12. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

This is unlike Dreyton to acquire so much payroll.

Frankly, I don't see it happening. I like Backe. At this point in his young career, he is the perfect safety net.

Unfortuantely, I don't see us signing Beltran either. 13.5 mil will not be enough. These players are all about the money. I hope I'm wrong.

13. Buck Turgidson

And how'd we get Blum?

Chris Truby.

Genius.

14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I think I will give Brandon the benefit of the doubt. I like him and I want to see him become a great pitcher. He showed us something last season. I think he has the talent to be a lot better than what we have seen so far. Given the downside you'll are talking about regarding Soriano, then I say forget it. Besides, you get rid of Brandon and Clemens doesn't re-sign, then what? Now, we have some major pitching problems.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You can look at this both ways... but a pitcher is always just one throw away from his career being over.

Brandon hasn't had any arm problems, because he hasn't been pitching for that long. Also, nobody knows if he can throw 200+ innings, because he's never done it before.

Ask Roy and Wade how tough it is to adjust to throwing as much as you have to in the major leagues... hell, Roy was worn out at the end of THIS year, and he's been a full time starter since the middle of 2001. (he also similiarly wore out at the end of 2002... couldn't get the 20 wins that year in his last 3 starts).

Also, Clutch brought up the EXCELLENT example of Scott Elarton... who once he started pitching full time, had all sorts of problems.

The bottom line... I like Brandon, he's got good stuff, he's got moxy, and he's now shined on the big stage.... but if you can trade him for a very young perenial 40/40 talent, you do so. (even though I doubt the $$$ will work out to make this trade, since Sori wants a nice deal).

16. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

did the Rangers ever experiment with putting Soriano in the outfield? just a thought, maybe that is what they are thinking with Biggio and Burke at second already.

17. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

Not at the expense of the rest of the team. You have a fine young player at 2B in Burke and Biggio ready to step in until Burke is ready.

Starting pitching or the lack thereof cost us a WS appearance. Why would you weaken us further at that position?

Backe is a keeper and Soriano and his salary can stay away.

18. Dennis2112

Beltran is signing with the Astros...bank on it!!!!

19. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

relief pitching (or lack thereof) cost us a world series.

i realize it was clemens, oswalt, and pray for rain but nonetheless the starting pitching did good work most of the time (even if it wasn't for a lot of innings). but if damn near every set up guy didn't suck royally we might have made it.

20. Dennis2112

If we had somebody other than Munro , OSwalt, Clemens, or Backe on three days rest, the bullpen would not have been depended on so much. Outside of Micelli, the bullpen was as good as could be expected. I know it would been nice to have one more stopper in the bullpen but don't you think it would have been greater value to have Pettitte and/or Miller available so you would not have to goto the bullpen so early in Munro's starts. Not to mention the tired Clemens and Oswalt who could not get deep into games due to the many innings they have piled up every three days.