1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Star-Telegram] Backe for Soriano Swap?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Dec 13, 2004.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

"There was some murmuring about the Houston Astros having interest in Alfonso Soriano and the Rangers getting pitcher Brandon Backe in return.

But that's going nowhere, at least right now, because the Astros need their financial resources in reserve for Carlos Beltran and Roger Clemens."

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/baseball/10405184.htm

2. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't have a problem with picking up Soriano. I know it would take a pitcher to get him, and I wouldn't be too heartbroken to give up Backe to get him. I just don't know if right now the Astros can afford to trade Backe with so many ? about the staff right now. Sure we may have a staff with Pettitte, Oswalt, Clemens, Miller, and have Soriano and Beltran in the field. But we may just as easily have Oswalt, Pettitte, Backe and 2 other guys, with Jason Lane in CF.opening a dialogue with the Rangers is great, but it may be a bit premature to make that trade.

3. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

No thanks. Soriano makes nearly $8 mil a year, while Backe plays for the minimum. If we wanted to spend that kind of salary on a good-hitting, weak-fielding 2B, we could have just kept Jeff Kent.

4. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

the only diff there is the age diff... soriano is you sign him can be with you a long time... but he does suck at fielding.

5. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I love Backe. He had a great stretch but thats it, a stretch. Soriano is a known good commodity. Backe could fall off the face of the planet next year. If we can still get Beltran and are able to shore up the bullpen, I say pull the freaking trigger. Ship Burke off for another pitcher.

6. rocketlaunch

that is what I was thinking... You could trade burke or try him at 3rd but to me I could live with soriano and the numbers he puts up

7. SamCassell

With unlimited funds I'd agree with you. But the Astros simply can't afford to spend $8 million at a position where they have a viable cheap option. They need their money to re-sign Beltran and Clemens, or get replacements for same, plus bullpen help.

8. rocketlaunch

now what if beltran did not sign would you make the deal.

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

If Soriano, and his lead glove, then where Bigg?

If Bigg, and his lead glove, in LF, then Burke, and his questionable bat.

Dilemmas.

10. rocketlaunch

bigg should be a super utility man this year anyway.. he will not hit close to 40 hrs and get you 100 rbis

11. SamCassell

Maybe, but I think I'd pursue Drew or Beltre or Ordonez first. Soriano swings at way too many bad pitches, along with being a poor glove.

12. rocketlaunch

if carlos did not sign.. you could have ordonez and soriano with that money and sure up the bullpen

13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

This is tough, I'd almost be more willing to give up Miller. But who's more of a question mark, Miller (injured, more $), or Backe (not proven, less $)? All this is harder still considering Clemens is still up in the air and Pettitte may still be injury prone. I'd really like to see Soriano here and maybe trade Burke for some bullpen help.

14. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Did you guys even read the blurb? The Astros and Rangers aren't even discussing it right now until they figure out where they stand with Beltran and Clemens.

15. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I think I'd rather have Ordonez and Soriano than just Beltran. Especially if Soriano can be had for Miller instead of Backe.

16. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

man.....then we would all be b****ing about his fielding. It's terrible.

17. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Alfonso Soriano is the LAST thing the Astros need at this point. We have enough free swinging idiots on this team already. We need contact hitters that can put the ball in play and move runners up, not guys that strike out and hit into double plays with men on base.

Giving up a promising talent in Backe after his first full season would be a huge mistake.

18. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

So close to what I would have said there is no reason for me to type it out.

If they want to talk Backe with us, fine. They better mention Young, Teixeira or Blalock. They will laugh at that probably, but the Astros should laugh when they say Soriano's name.

19. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Not saying anything is wrong or right, I just think it's amazing that one day shy of one year ago today, the 'Stros acquire this guy for Geoff Frickin' Blum and now we're balking at dealing him for Alfonso Soriano. :)

If Burke is the future, it is a tough call to acquire Soriano at the position. Money is an issue also, and agree also on the free-swinging nature of Soriano, I just don't know if they should overvalue Backe. Tough call I guess since he's still so young as a pitcher, and had a great experience in the postseason, but it could smack of Scott Elarton. There was a time we could have gotten a ton for Elarton.

I wish the Rockets could build up assets this fast (or just build them at all instead of tearing them down).

20. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

It says a lot about Gerry Hunsicker as well as the Astros scouts. That guy was a certified badass when it came to trades and evaluating talent.