1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sri Lanka explosions: Over 300 killed as churches and hotels targeted

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Apr 21, 2019.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

"Target"? Our focus is on Jesus, but the message on Easter Sunday was focused on John 21:14 (the last a series on No Greater Love, Everybody, Always), when Christ appeared for the third time to his disciples in Resurrection. I guess your church didn't do an Easter service?

So your church also welcomes non-Christians? I guess folks attending your Church's Easter services might be Easter worshipers too...

Nook likes this.
  2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It's only controversial because Obama and Clinton used the phrase. One would think a true Christian would forgive their phrasing and accept their message of condolence.

And, I guarantee the Catholic church has numerous non Christians in attendance on Easter and Christmas as the attendance those days increases by at least 30% based on many years of observation.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What is the target of Easter? Is it the Resurrection of Christ or the state of our country?

And his tweet did not use the word Christian either

#23 bobrek, Apr 22, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    Nook likes this.
  4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Oh, I know it was simply the right wingers attempt to criticize former President Obama with the tired "he isn't a Christian", "he is a Muslim", and "he refuses to say "Christian things"". Oddly enough, they defend and support someone (trump) who is questionable at best in his Christian life, and is consider a "Cheaster" in many churches (only attends on Christmas and Easter). And whose Easter message to all Americans was a transparent attempt to tout what he believes are his political accomplishments. I guess we should be thankful he didn't include "co collusion" in his Easter message. :rolleyes:

Our church is very welcoming... in fact, the name of the most recent worship series was "No Greater Love. Everybody. Always."

5. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

My thoughts and prayers go out to those killed by extremists in the name of religion.

jcf, AroundTheWorld and Nook like this.
  6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

On the Easter Worshipers, I agree it's a weird turn of phrase. I imagine they chose it because if you stick "Christians" in those statements, it starts to sound a lot more confrontational. And more confrontation is probably the last thing in the world Sri Lanka needs. Insisting they should say Christian sounds like spoiling for a fight. But, I disagree with the interpretation of Easter Worshipers as people who worship Easter. It just means they are worshiping on Easter Day. It's maybe idiomatic, but a common construction. I've heard Sunday worshipers, for example. You can also put place names in, like Notre Dame worshipers, who would worship in Notre Dame, but without praying to the building.

Edit: on the atrocity, its a terrible gut punch. The level of coordination of hitting so many places at once makes it so much worse.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Muslims are blowing stuff up again.

Well, okay......

8. mick fry

mick fry Member

“Some people did something”.

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Obviously they are making the point it was Easter. Some people only go to church on Easter

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

If you wanted to get the most bang from your bomb on at Christian Church what day would you choose?

Sad this is the focus of this thread

11. HTM

HTM Member

It’s the event of the year (also Christmas) were most churches are most full. If you want to do as much damage as possible it’s the best or second best time to do something like this.

pgabriel likes this.
  12. HTM

HTM Member

Mosque mass shooting thread has X10 the amount of replies this thread has had within the first 24 hours or so.

Fascinating.

Astrodome likes this.
  13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Unfortunate circumstance of media coverage highlighting Western white majority countries when tragedy occurs.

14. HTM

HTM Member

That's not it.

It's all over the news websites I've visited.

Denouncing White Nationalism is easy.

Anything to do with Islam, everyone gets on tip toes and has to squirm in their chairs.

15. fchowd0311

You might be in to something. I mean remember how the news coverage was for the Boston Marathon bombings or the Paris shootings or the Fort Hood shootings? Had to scour the internet for any decent coverage.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Far be it from me to defend white nationalism but since Trump has been elected the media is clearly pushing the rise in white nationalism story

17. HTM

HTM Member

Uh, yea, I literally just said, "It's all over the news websites I've visited" - you're really making a great point.

It's being covered, it's not being talked about here though, not nearly with the fervor a white nationalist attack would be.

18. fchowd0311

Maybe because it's actually on the rise.

The most worrying asect isn't that self labeled white nationalists are rising. What's worrisome is what was once fringe right wing ideology is entering normal white households. More and more people are eating up the "racial bell curve hierarchy" narrative. More and more American citizens legitmately believe in narratives that are literally expressed in Mein Kampf about how liberals and Jews are trying to bring in brown and black people to dilute the white population. These are becoming more center right talking points.

We just elected a president who literally on national TV proudly in third person made a proclamation that if he were elected, he would ban any immigration from the second largest religious group on the planet. In the past, a candidate would never dare to proclaim the banning of an entire religious group from immigrating here. The overton window has expanded to include what used to be fringe white supremacist rhetoric.

#38 fchowd0311, Apr 22, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
    Nippystix likes this.
  19. fchowd0311

What?

You said that this isn't being covered because it was from Islamic terrorists. I made a claim that it isn't 24/7 news coverage because it didn't happen in a Western European majority nation.

Last time I checked, the Boston Marathon bombings was 24/7 news coverage for weeks.

To make a claim that this isn't being covered because "Islam" when we had a 2 decade long war on "the war on terror" is absurd and laughable.

20. Buck Turgidson

As far as I know, nobody has taken responsibility and they for sure didn't take a video of themselves in the act or leave a crazy manifesto for us to talk about.

What exactly do you want us to discuss or comment on here? That it's a horrific cowardly act? Pretty sure that's established.

As Nook said: "Muslims are blowing stuff up again. Well, okay......"