1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SR610] Uncle Drayton Interview

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by desihooper, Jul 26, 2005.

1. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

John was interviewing Drayton earlier this morning on 610 and asked him some questions about the team in general and Drayton commented on how he doesn't interfere when things are going well and tries to encourage and motivate the team (to be a champion) when they are struggling.

I was actually quite shocked to hear that he commented on specific players (more specifically Casey and Dunn)

On Casey - he hits for high average but not a lot of pop, not sure if he's what they're looking for.

On Dunn - will require a lot in terms of what they have to give up.

Isn't that borderline tampering?!? :D

He closed by saying that they're 50/50 to make a move before the deadline.

FWIW, John was really pimping this one player even went so far as to ask Drayton straight up about him... too bad I can't remember his name. It might have been Raul Ibanez (.292 avg, .358 obp, .458 slug, .816 OPS, 13 HR, 53 RBI) of the Mariners, but I'm not 100% sure. He's a left-handed hitting first baseman though (throws right).

Thank God 610 is streaming, now I can listen to the guys in the morning while I'm eating breakfast to get my daily fix of Houston sports! Chance, you guys rock!!

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Ibanez can also play the outfield. I was hoping they'd get him a couple of seasons ago when he left the Royals. He's not a great defensive OF, but he can make some plays and can play both corner spots. He's good for about 20 hr's, close to a .300 avg. and will drive in 80-90 runs. He has had some injury issues and has only played in the field 15 times this season, with the rest at DH. That said, I would prefer him over Matt Lawton and it would certainly cost less to get him, prospect wise, than it would Adam Dunn.

3. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I rather keep the team as it is. Add a reliever.

4. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

good relievers are even harder to find.

This team needs Offense. If we scored just one more run per game we would have had another 10-15 wins. Which would not only make us the wild-card favorite, it would have put us a position to contend for the division.

Lets make a deal for Griffey or Dunn. I think Griffey would defer some money for Uncle Drayton. Send the Reds Lane, Zeke, and a player to be named later for whichever one the Reds will give up.

5. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Lawton would be awesome in this lineup batting #2, and moving Biggio to #5. Biggio is showing nice power this season, and his ability to hit doubles will drive in lots of runs for us.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i can't imagine Griffey deferring money to LEAVE his home. i can't imagine wanting to take on the roughly $45 million he's owed.

7. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Ibanez would probably be the best fit for the Astros has far as what they give up and they get in return.

8. Dennis2112

I know somebody who is childhood friends with Barry Larkin and knows Griffey very well. Griffey has told many people around him that he likes Houston and likes the stadium.

Thats not to say he would be gung-ho about Houston , its just he seems to like it here and he is desperate to go out with a winner. The Astros are a whole lot closer than the Reds.

9. msn

msn Member

Hey Dennis, I know a lot of folks use the "Uncle Sam" reference on McLane like this, but it was funny--the first thing I thought about when I saw the thread title was years ago over at astros.com when folks (not me) were asking you if Drayton was your uncle! Do you remember that?

10. Dennis2112

yes I do.

Man, those were the days before the Empire (MLB.com) took over.

Drayton has not always been the best in making decisions and most likely meddles a little too much with the team but he has still been the best owner we have ever had.

You know , some of the old guys and gals from that forum are still out there at their own forum page.

http://p200.ezboard.com/bastrosbaseball

It is a free register and some good conversation there as well. Some of the old guys are a bit too negative sometimes but it is still fun.

11. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Aubrey Huff has consistently been a bad ass after the allstar break during his career and he is starting to heat up again, like usual. I'd either go for him or leave the team as is.

12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If he liked Houston so much, he should have been here in the first place when he was a FA. :D