1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spurs want Robinson , Webber has not strongly indicated he wants to go there

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by dc rock, Jul 12, 2001.

1. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

By Johnny Ludden
    San Antonio Express-News

Web Posted : 07/12/2001

Spurs chairman Peter Holt reiterated Wednesday that he hopes to re-sign David Robinson.

"I've said it before and I'll say it again: We want David," Holt said. "I don't know how to say it any differently. I want to keep David here."

Spurs officials and Robinson's representatives continued to talk amicably Wednesday.

"We don't have a deal," said Jeff Austin, Robinson's agent. "But I will say it is getting to a point where we should soon come to a resolution."

Austin and the Spurs are not working on any sign-and-trade options involving Robinson, two league sources said.

One day after Robinson questioned the Spurs' commitment to him, Holt pledged his support for the team's longtime center.

"I understand why David would be upset," Holt said. "This is the first time David has been a free agent. It's new for him and it's new for us. We've been through this before with other players, but not with David."

Two NBA sources also continued to downplay the Spurs' chances of signing Chris Webber, who has not given the team a strong indication he wants to come to San Antonio. If Webber suddenly decided he wanted to sign with the Spurs, the team "would have to evaluate all of its options," one Western Conference executive said.

Said Holt: "All I will say is we want David. This city loves David, and there's no question we would take a hit from the public if we lost him."

Robinson has rebuffed the Spurs' suggestion he take a pay cut anywhere from 50 percent to 80 percent of the $14.7 million he made last season.

"We want David," Holt said, "but at the same time we have to work through this in a way that keeps the team as competitive as it has been the last three seasons."

Until the NBA releases the official salary cap, the Spurs have about $16 million to use to re-sign Robinson and Derek Anderson. The team has been in contact with Anderson's agent, Tony Dutt, but has not made an offer. Because Robinson's contract occupies such a large cap hole, the Spurs cannot re-sign Anderson first.

"They've told us they're waiting on David," Dutt said. "We hope to hear from them by the end of the week. If not, we're going to have to be active about taking visits to other teams.

"We're still holding out hope of reaching a deal San Antonio, but each day that goes by makes it more difficult."

Dallas and Portland have expressed interest in Anderson, but are limited to offering the $4.5 million exception unless the Spurs are willing to do a sign-and-trade deal. One Western Conference official said the Spurs continue to view Sacramento free-agent guard Doug Christie as a lower-cost alternative to Anderson.

Spurs notes: Samaki Walker is expected to meet with Lakers officials as soon as today in Los Angeles. Avery Johnson will visit Denver sometime between Sunday and Tuesday, Dutt said.

jludden@express-news.net

Express-News staff writer Glenn Rogers contributed to this report.

07/12/2001

------------------
    mgh 1924 - 2001

http://www.al-gore-2004.org/

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

DC,

You don't have to post it three times. This is called covering all bases. If the Spurs do get Webber, they don't want to look like they are throwing Robinson away. That is horrible, horrible PR. Holt made those statements, to some degree, to lessen the public backlash if Robinson were to leave, and put some of the blame on David's shoulders.

And by the way, how are these sources any more valid than the ones who said just a couple of days ago that Webber was "very intrigued" by the Spurs? Webber doesn't know what he wants to do yet, and different people are going to intrepret his statements in different ways. A few weeks ago these "sources" said that Webber was all but a lock to leave Sacramento, which is where you think he will end up. (that's what you said) Don't be selective. If you don't believe what they said earlier, don't treat what they say now as very important either.

------------------
    Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

The Mo Taylor Fan Site

3. dc rock

whats the problem cat? did i say webber isnt going to san antonio? no. i just posted a story from the san an express, i didnt even say anything in the post after i wrote it. i think you just might be getting a little upset that there is a story stating that webber might not go to san antonio. did i say they were more valid ?

------------------
    mgh 1924 - 2001

4. The Cat

DC,

It's obvious you hate the Spurs. You haven't said one positive thing about them ever since I've seen you on this website. You even said they'd lose in the first round to Minnesota, being serious. You've posted this same article in three threads now. I seriously doubt you would be posting the article if it said Webber was close to committing to the Spurs. My point is, you seem to be taking pride in the Spurs not getting Webber, and I'm just trying to say that a couple of sources don't mean everything.

------------------
    Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

The Mo Taylor Fan Site

5. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

[​IMG]

What's going on girls?

6. dc rock

Hate? Why would i HATE any team? Whats the point? i dont HATE the spurs. I dont hate any team. and can you please find this post where i said they'd lose to the twolves??? i dont remember posting it, (i might have though) but you always seem to bring that one post up. please show it to me

------------------
    mgh 1924 - 2001

7. The Cat

8. dc rock

Cool, i dont even remember that. im glad nobody took me up on that bet though. but anyways, so what if im biased against them a little? you're biased against the lakers ? and you're biased in favor of the spurs. so when i post a negative story on the spurs situation with webber and you post a positive one it , whats the difference? can i not post anything negative on the spurs??

the reason i started my own thread with this is because i thought it would be better. i thought those other two threads wouldve died and the san an story missed.

------------------
    mgh 1924 - 2001

[This message has been edited by dc rock (edited July 12, 2001).]

9. The Cat

DC,

Actually, I'm not very biased to the Spurs... however, I am a big Duncan fan, and as a result I support the team as well. Usually I don't post much on them, but if people are unjustly biased against them, I will say something. I was just trying to keep you in line a little with my response is all, reminding you and everyone else that sources both conflict and can be wrong. [​IMG]

------------------

The Mo Taylor Fan Site

10. dc rock

thats ok, i can keep myself in line. i dont know how posting an article by the san antonio express is being unjustly biased, but whatever. i dont really care to tell you the truth. if the spurs get webber thats great for them.

------------------
    mgh 1924 - 2001

11. Shandon Anversen

The Cat,

HI! [​IMG]

i hate the spurs. [​IMG] just thought i'd clarify! [​IMG]

carry on...

[​IMG]

LOL!

actually it's "spur's fan" and "spur's management" that i hate. oh yea, i also think tim is overrated. but you knew that already [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Shandon Anversen

p.s.

not ALL spur's fans. just the arrogant ones (there are a couple on this board [​IMG] ) that just KNOW that everything will work out for the spurs. hey, the spurs will sign dave, DA, and webber. uh-huh. yea.

just the ones that wear the "we're a classy team" badge everywhere they go, when what they really want to say is..."we're better than you are!".

not that the spurs aren't good. they are damn good. but call a spade a spade. don't hide arrogance as class. and don't hide bandwagonning as being a true fan. i don't know how many "spurs fans" couldn't even name the starting five a couple of years before the *championship.

re: webber.

give it up, spurs. he ain't comin.

VERSTRADAMUS HAS SPOKEN!!!!!

13. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

This wasn't fair to say, because Webber hasn't shown a strong indication to go ANYWHERE! Besides Robinson is headed back to San An, so I guess it's a moot point. The Rockets need to get some help at center NOW!

------------------
    "Instruments are like women: After a while, you want to make love to another."

- Nicolas Godin of the musical duo Air

14. j-bone

j-bone Member

Welcome to the "Cat and Rock Show". Check your local listing for show times in your area. [​IMG]

------------------
    The intelligent prediction from Moses Malone: "Foe, Foe, Foe".