1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spurs lose to Bobcats after whipping Rox!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by xomox, Nov 15, 2006.

1. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=AmFilBcX0EqUHdmk8fgWdi68vLYF?gid=2006111524

it's like they only bring their A-game for good teams. they lost to cleveland also. that's not right man.

SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- Adam Morrison decided to relax a little bit after putting too much pressure on himself in the first few games of his career.

The idea paid off as Morrison scored 27 points, surpassing his career high from one night earlier, and the Charlotte Bobcats beat the San Antonio Spurs 95-92 in overtime Wednesday night.

"The coaches were telling me I was putting too much pressure on myself," Morrison said. "Everyone was expecting so much out of me, especially at the pick I went (third overall)."

Morrison started the season shooting 32 percent, including 10-of-43 (23 percent) through five straight games before Tuesday. But he has gone 21-for-41 the past two nights in Oklahoma City and San Antonio.

"This is a big win for us," Morrison said. "We've been in all those games we lost, so to finally get one is exciting."

ADVERTISEMENT

Emeka Okafor added 19 points for Charlotte (2-6), which had lost four straight. It was the first victory over the Spurs in Bobcats franchise history after four previous tries.

Tony Parker scored 25 points and Tim Duncan added 24 and 13 rebounds for the Spurs (6-2), who had won five straight games.

Morrison, a rookie from Gonzaga, scored 21 points Tuesday in Oklahoma City.

He made his third start of the season Wednesday, and responded by hitting 12-of-23 from the floor, including 2-of-3 3-pointers.

He hit six of his first seven shots in the opening quarter while the rest of the Bobcats shot 3-of-15 to start the game.

"He is a basketball junkie," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "He's a scoring machine. He's a fantastic young talent."

San Antonio could have tied the game with 29 seconds left in overtime, but Manu Ginobili missed a wide-open 3-pointer.

AP - Nov 15, 11:18 pm EST
    More Photos

The Spurs were 3-of-12 in overtime while the Bobcats went 5-of-7.

"There were just too many lay-ups that we missed and too many mistakes that we made late," Duncan said. "Not to take anything away from Charlotte. They played great. We just helped them out a little too much tonight."

San Antonio outrebounded Charlotte by 20, but the Spurs wasted the effort by going 2-of-17 from 3-point territory.

Charlotte rebounded Ginobili's miss and got the ball in the hands of Raymond Felton, and the Spurs fouled him to stop the clock with 16 seconds.

Felton sank the first foul shot but missed the second. Okafor rebounded and slammed the ball back in to give the Bobcats a 95-89 lead.

"We were winning the whole game, but we finally finished one out on their homecourt," Okafor said. "This is a statement that we can do it. We didn't fold. It's a great morale booster."

Okafor entered the contest with four straight games of at least 20 points and 15 rebounds. In addition to his 19 points Wednesday, he had nine rebounds, five blocked shots and five steals.

Both teams had a chance to win the game at the end of regulation, but Brevin Knight missed an 18-footer that Ginobili rebounded and pushed up the floor.

Ginobili passed to Michael Finley, who missed a 3-pointer at the buzzer.

During a stretch of 6:08 in the first quarter Morrison scored 13 of 15 Bobcats points and Charlotte built a six-point lead.

But after the hot start, Morrison missed his next four shots.

After the Spurs won the previous night in a big effort to overcome a 19-point second-half deficit, San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich already had pulled four of his starters with 4:24 before the end of the first quarter.

Notes

Finley hit his first four shots of the game and ended with a season-high 17 points from the bench. ... San Antonio's pair of Argentine players were cold: Ginobili was 3-of-14 -- including 0-for-3 from 3-point territory -- and Fabricio Oberto was 0-for-4. ... Morrison led the Bobcats with 48 minutes played, the second straight night he's topped 40 minutes. ... Much of Morrison's night came against Spurs forward Bruce Bowen, who has three straight NBA All-Defensive first team honors.

2. FFz

FFz Member

good for them?

3. aussiejack

aussiejack Member

i hope that doesnt mean that the bobcats are better than us :rolleyes:

4. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Whatever, we just softened the Spurs for them.

I expect a 'thank you' note.

5. YallMean

YallMean Member

big deal.
    this is just one game like yesterday's.
    I actually watched tail end of it. Some mental lapse on the Spur's part. This shows regular season win or lose one game is not indication of how good or how bad a team is. It happens.

6. xomox

i don't take it as an indication the the cats are better than the rox. it's just screwed up that it happens that way.

7. pchan

pchan Member

By the transitive law of inequality... since Spurs score > Rockets score, and Bobcats score > Spurs score... then Bobcats score > Rockets score.

We have sank below the Bobcats, time to fire JVG.

8. xomox

i wish!

9. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Hahah very nicely put :D

But does that mean coaches like Avery and Riley should be fired? I hope so. At least Avery.

10. nuggien

nuggien Contributing Member

11. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

So, I guess Popovich sucks and Duncan is soft and the Spurs should have played some random rookie scrub more?

12. akuma

akuma Member

an overtime loss in a back-to-back after a hard and well fought victory. i wouldn't read too much into this loss at all. it's not as if they fell into an 18 -45 run late in the second half. as far as the Spurs' morale is, they won the right game. a loss is a loss, but to fold and lose to Houston and then beat Charlotte would have meant absolutely nothing.

13. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

it means yao + juwan + 1st round pick for morrison + okafur (5 blks, 5 stls)!!

I'M SORRY YAO, I WAS JUST KIDDING. I TAKE IT BACK, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD YAO, I TAKE IT BACK!!!!!

14. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

But their starters should be well rested, right? With Pop playing their bench 97 minutes and all. :p

15. NothingButNet

NothingButNet Member

It's NBA, very hard to win back to back games, even for the Spurs. I'm optimistic if the Rockets played at Bobcats' home court tomorrow, they could get a win too.

16. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Are you kidding me? The Bobcats are so good right now, they win on pure skill! :rolleyes: :)

17. akuma

akuma Member

well, they were well rested... my point is that now all wins and losses are equal. the Rockets did really need that win against the Spurs and at home no less. if the Rockets get used to being beaten by the Spurs then not even a McGrady miracle can save them. i don't think the Jazz (2-22 and 18 straight the last 6 years; their only 2 wins were by 1 and 2 points) even play to win against them anymore; they just try not to lose. after so many losses they probably don't believe they can beat the Spurs. a team's greatness is more defined by the teams that they beat, not the teams that they lose to. you can lose to any team on any given day, but you can't beat every team every time. if the Rockets beat all the best teams in the league, it's a foregone conclusion that they can beat the lesser teams when it counts. but if they can't beat the best teams, who cares if they defeat the lesser teams?

18. cmellon

cmellon Member

Haha... good one.... the collective IQ of this bboard is getting lower everyday.

19. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

lol....either way it's only ONE game. We lost 1 to them...they just lost one to the lowly bobcats.....means nothing more than an L.

20. lost_ball

lost_ball Member

let me see if i can anaylst this :
    Spurs lost to whom? bobcat
    who is the best bobcat player in this game? okafor
    where is okafor from? houston
    which high school did okafor go ? bellaire
    where is chinatown located in houston? bellaire
    where did yao come from? china

everything happens for a reason...