1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[SPRINT] Root my HTC Evo 4G

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by eric.81, Jul 16, 2012.

1. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Good evening fellow clutchfaners... is there one of our many members out there in the north Houston/Spring area that could root my HTC EVO 4G in the next two days? My wife and I would actually like both of our EVOs rooted and would pay for the service.

If you're interested and can do it for this Tech non-savvy person, I would be extremely greatful. Message me through Clutchfans if you can help.

THANK YOU!!
    e.r.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Are you a cop?

3. Sajan

Sajan Member

are u a therapist?

4. eric.81

NOT a cop. Seriously, not a cop. Just want to tether my new tablet to my phone and not get theraped by Sprint.

I tried for the last three hours following the You Tube videos and can't do it.

1 person likes this.
  5. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

Ib4 Scionxa appearance! :p

I have an Evo, but never rooted.

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Dude....it's so damn easy.

Just follow a youtube video.

Root was scary (the idea)....but the procedure was a breeze. (I did my EVO 4g)
    Follow this video:

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/videoseries?list=PLC7596CA94264D2A2&amp;hl=en_US" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1. Go to http://revolutionary.io/
    2. Go to http://www.cyanogenmod.com/devices/htc-evo

Follow what the video tells you to do step by step.

It's not illegal to root your phone.

There's other ones out there too. Some based off of CM7 or sense...like Destroyer http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=988684 or Shooter. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1203761

Scoinxa would probably know what the latest and best rom is out there. I've been on CM7 since I rooted last december.

#6 Uprising, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  7. eric.81

Thanks for the video, but I'm version 2.3.5. I'm the first to admit that I'm an ABSOLUTE IDIOT when it comes to this stuff. I had a friend at work who knew a guy at a Sprint store so I was banking on that. He doesn't work there anymore. So I've been trying everything, even tethering via Bluetooth, and it's no use. You guys talk about ROMs and Boot versions and it's like you're speaking Chinese... and I don't speak Chinese.

8. Uprising

I rooted my phone for the exact same reason. My tablet.

Dang. not sure about that version. First thing i did was make sure not to keep up with the updates when I wanted to root.

XDA is a great site to figure it all out (info and location of files).

Good luck.

EDIT: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...-rooting-gingerbread-2-3-5-dummies-guide.html

There are fixes out there for your version.

Unlock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOxcyZmGu0c
    Root: http://youtu.be/i_oV1obQp9Y

#8 Uprising, Jul 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  9. eric.81

I'm buying a USB converter for my tablet tomorrow at MicroCenter. Makes the power port a USB port. From there, I can tether to phone's wireless access... just can't do it wirelessly like a hotspot. That'll have to do unless I pay Sprint the hotspot fee or find one of you brilliant techies to hook me up. Thanks for your help Uprising. T0otally repped for trying to teach this moron something!

10. tested911

tested911 Member

Your in luck because once J. Lin signs with us tomorrow this board will be flooded with them :grin:

11. eric.81

12. Uprising

Believe me. I'm still a moron too. lol.

It was totally a learning experience when I did it.

I had NO idea. But went on a snowboarding trip. So decided it was time to do it. (for entertainment with the tablet).

I honestly knew NOTHING when I did it. Didn't know about roms....themes....unlock...root...etc.

The beauty of it is the free wifi hotspot....although if I'm using it on a pc I use the usb.

Looking to upgrade to the new Evo LTE in a couple months...can't wait.

13. Uprising

lol.

I know the feeling, it's overwhelming.

I'm sure you can find some mom and pop phone store that'll do it.....or some college kid looking for $$$....

14. eric.81

Thanks for the support. We're going to Galveston this weekend and nothing sounds better than soaking up the sun, playing with my new Asus transformer on the deck, and drinking something cold and alcoholic. Hopefully the USB tether works. Heard it doesn't overheat the battery as much as the mobile hotspot.

Morons unite!!

15. cuddie

cuddie Member

You don't need to flash a custom ROM to get root access. If all you want is the ability to tether, you can just follow this video. Make sure you have the EVO 4G LTE that just came out and not the original EVO 4G if you're following that video.

After you're rooted, just go to the Play Store and search for Wifi tether. There should be an app called "wifi tether for root users."

16. Uprising

Oh yeah. HOtspot eats up the battery, and your phone will get quite warm.....when plugged in though, always seems to be a bit cooler. (guess it is all the battery being devoured).

17. eric.81

Thanks cuddie. Have the original EVO 4G though, and my upgrade isn't eligible until 'till February 2013. Gonna try the wired tether and hope the beach house my family rented has wifi (likely). Going to MicroCenter tomorrow on my lunch break to get the USB kit for my Asus Transformer. Hopefully my work friend can find his old Sprint Store buddy and hook me up.

18. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Damn, I need to get on ClutchFans more often :(

Glad you got your phone rooted. Enjoy!

19. eric.81

I didn't get it rooted!

Can you help me??