1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

South Park: The Stick of Truth

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by sealclubber1016, Feb 20, 2014.

1. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Spoiler tag, sir.

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

I just couldnt hit x fast enough. Finally got It though after almost breaking my remote.

3. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

This **** is fun. I'm about 8 hrs in. Everything about this game is hilarious. Redbox can have it back when I beat it 100%

4. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

15 hours in now, not sure how far I am from finishing the game but I don't think I'm that close either.

5. CCorn

CCorn Member

Finished the game, outside of a few side quests.

Very enjoyable but was short.

Problem is you learn a few powers you need to explore the game more near the end, but the story line kinda forces you to keep playing. Now I have no desire to go back and explore more.

Great game, but short. I hope they make expansions. There were a few characters I was sad never appeared in the game.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Great game, but short like I expected.

Given the episodic nature of South Park and the fact that this game doesn't have to care about logic, it screams good DLC.

7. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

You guys calling the game short, what was your play time at the end? And, did you do all of the side quests? I did everything and when I beat it last night I was at 19 hours. I don't consider anything taking 19 hours short.

Side note: I also played on hardcore difficulty. (it wasn't that hard, the hardest boss I ever fought in the game was a side quest with Al Gore. died to that prick like 5 times before I killed him.)

8. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I haven't played it yet, but I will say that I consider 19 hours short if it's considered part of the JRPG genre, which I believe is what they were going for. I expect a JRPG to take 30 hours or more on the first playthrough.

And that's not a criticism of this game. I'm in no way pissed that it's "short." Just saying there are drastically different expectations for playtime depending on the genre you're in.

If this were an action/adventure game, 19 hours would be considered long.

9. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

If you're comparing it to Skyrim, I suppose it's quite short. I felt pretty happy with the game, in fact after completing everything I was really ready to finish it. (that and I want nothing distracting me from Titanfall)

It definitely varies by genre of course, I guess I'm just not the type of dude that wants to put in 30+ hours into a rpg. 20 is kind of a sweet spot unless it's the best game I've ever played.

10. Drexlerfan22

Ah, well see, I consider Skyrim a western RPG, and I expect those to have an even higher playtime. :grin: But it's definitely a double-edged sword. I'm pretty sure the reason I haven't played much Skyrim is because I already dumped so many hours into Morrowind and Oblivion. It's not that it isn't a really good game, just dang, the time commitment involved...

But yeah, I do think some games occasionally outstay their welcome. I mean, Okami to me is absolutely one of the best games of all time. But my god, IIRC it took me about 50 hours to beat it the first time. That is extraordinarily long for an action-adventure type of game. I absolutely loved it to death, but it started to drag a little at the end even for me.

11. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

No I'm aware, but I've heard of people putting in hundreds of hours into Final Fantasy (that is certainly not me).

I didn't get too far into Skyrim. I maxed out a few skills, and visited some areas etc, but it just got old to me. The combat wasn't visceral enough, and the story was good but it just wasn't enough for me to keep playing.

I started to play Okami, but didn't get far again. I was trying to play it on the Wii when I already had a 360/PC capable of much better graphics and it just...I dunno. I love the idea of it, and I've played games like that (Zelda, and even consider some of them to be my favorites of all time) but...little secret...don't tell anyone I've never finished one. I naturally of course know what happens at the end, etc.

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

JRPG's certainly aren't for everybody, they are certainly a niche genre. Zelda isn't a true JRPG either. They can be very slow and repetitive, and require walking around in one area fighting the same enemies repeatedly for hours. You love it or you don't, I personally do.

The niche factor is the reason JRPG's are almost dead. Even games like Tales of Xilla and Final Fantasy feature uptempo real time combat, instead of old-school turn based. In that respect South Park was much more old school than any JRPG you can find.

Matt and Trey wanted to make it even larger, but the whole developer situation and the general scope of making a video game overwhelmed them, so they had to make sacrifices. Still enjoyed the hell out of it.

13. AtheistPreacher

AtheistPreacher Contributing Member

Yeah, but Bravely Default just came out, and the Persona/SMT games are still going strong.

I agree there's less of them. But I doubt the old-school turn-based mechanics will ever disappear from completely. Publishers will keep making them because the system still works.

14. MykTek

MykTek Member

I finished it about 14 hours +, all missions and sideones done... didn't get 100% of the items though... I played as a Mage/Wizard... just started another one as a Jew :)

15. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Real short for an RPG game. I'm guessing the DLC will have a ton of content. Played as a thief and had Butters as my companion pretty much the whole time. Professor Chaos!!!

16. platypus

platypus Member

Butters and Stan wreck ****! Jimmy is also a good choice, I love his power chord booster thingy. Came in very useful against ****ing al gore.

Seriously **** al gore lol

17. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

Finally decided to play and 100% completed it in a little under 10 hours. I think that I was grinding too much in the beginning because the Al Gore fight was way easier than I was led to believe, even on Hardcore. Also now that I'm replaying it (and it does have pretty good replay value in my opinion), there really doesn't seem to be any difference between Hardcore and Normal difficulties. I really enjoyed the game, though.

18. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Kyles top level spell is instawin every time. It does ridiculous aoe damage. He was my companion most of the time during the last portions of the game. Stan and Jimmy are both very good as well. Cartman was fun for a bit, as well as Kenny and Butters.

19. Drexlerfan22

I'm a bit late to the party on this one, since Amazon combined my shipments of Stick of Truth and Dark Souls 2 (jerks).

Normally I would play a new Souls game before anything, but this looked so fun and also on the short side, that I figured I'd try to just get through it quickly.

Mostly I can just say: wow, really great game. It really is like a really long, interactive episode. The bajillion references in the game are absolutely fantastic.

There have been so many great moments, but so far my favorite is probably the Mongolians taking over the restaurant (don't ask me why that cracked me up so much, it just did).

I did have one major issue though: the Alien Pilots killed me on the first try, and when I went to load my game (continue)... it wiped out hours of my progress. :mad::( Apparently the auto-save wasn't autosaving, so I had to go back to the last time I had bothered to manually save. So that was bullcrap.

But aside from that... wow. Looking forward to continuing. I just finished sneaking in and out of the "new Taco Bell." Not sure whether to choose to side with Kyle Or Eric.

20. KDJ3

KDJ3 Contributing Member

If you want to know, click on the spoiler...

It doesn't really matter which side you join