1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

South Park: The Stick of Truth

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by sealclubber1016, Feb 20, 2014.

1. vaioavan63

vaioavan63 Contributing Member

I can't help but notice that a lot of people have complained about the price tag. It is not a flash game. Were people expecting out of this world next gen 3D graphics or something? The graphics are true to the cartoon. I just don't understand the complains. The same people complaining are probably the same folks who pay $60 for Call of Duty every year.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Let me put this in context for you. The most expensive thing I've ever purchased on Steam was $29.99.

3. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

A lot of very hard work went into this game, it is not a churned piece of crap. If you want developers to continue to make licensed cash in games, you should maintain this type of attitude. A night out to the movies costs about $30 for 2 to 2 1/2 hours of entertainment. This is a solid 14-15, and basically the equivalent of buying an interactive season of content. It has very good / funny writing in addition to it really looking exactly like the television show. (a feat in and of itself)

I wasn't going to buy this initially, but after hearing the reviews (I've had my eye on the game for awhile) I couldn't not support such a good game. It's very fun so far, and worth every penny.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

So you don't buy new games period, did you really need to add that to this thread?

5. Dei

Dei Member

It looks true to the cartoon but 2D backgrounds are just so... SNES. They could've achieved the same look using cel-shading or they could've gone with a Parappa the Rapper look. I was honestly expecting it to be more like Rockstar's Bully. Each mission is like an episode from the series.

6. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

The price tag complaints come from the game being an interactive South Park episode. The story/humor is probably the biggest draw to this game, which loses its novelty after one playthrough.

A game like Super Mario RPG has unlimited replay because of its gameplay. Does this game have that? It's questionable, and makes it hard to justify a $60 price tag. I think it's worth one playthrough, and thus a rental for me. I'd like to be proved wrong if it has more replayability. If it were to come down to $20-$30, more likely I'd buy it.

7. vaioavan63

vaioavan63 Contributing Member

Have a powerful (and arguably more expensive) gaming PC but skimp out on the games? You're not alone. Who's this other guy? Uprising I think?

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I hear you on that.

Just picked it up for $14 on Steam. (love their sales)

9. Uprising

I buy games for full price when I REALLY want them. There aren't many of them out there that I can't wait for, doesn't take long for them to be highly discounted on Steam.

I think BF4 was the last full price game I bought....that and SimCity.

10. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

You don't shop Steam much, do you? New titles on sale all the time.

I realize it's a major studio title. But that's a tough pill to swallow. It's not some kind of blockbuster skyrim 2.0 or anything.

#50 DonnyMost, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  11. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

The hell? How'd you find that deal?

I just looked on Steam. Full price :(

12. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I'm not saying that I'm against people waiting; personally I traded some games I don't play for it (I too have issues justifying $60 for a single player game. With that said if I didn't have to pay $60 for Titanfall and Infamous this month I probably would have put down $60 for it). I'm saying that everyone should support good games like this, because otherwise we'll continue to get garbage and rehashes.

13. Dei

Dei Member

Ditto on the price. Well, it is an RPG so it should be very heavy in the story; but, like I said before, I think the genre they chose is to their disadvantage.

I don't think Trey and Matt really thought about the gameplay going in. Dunno who made the pitch for the game but Trey and Matt were probably just intending on churning out a story and letting Ubisoft figure out the gameplay. As it turned out, Ubisoft chose RPG, which, out of probably all the video game genres, puts the burden of padding out the time the most to the writers. The way they executed the gameplay system didn't help. It's practically just serving serving pre-generated content left and right. You get voiced lines thrown at you every few secs. and writing the line takes way more time than that.

14. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Lol. I don't have a powerful gaming pc by any means.

15. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

They went to Obsidian...Obsidian is known for making RPGs. They knew they wanted a RPG. Ubisoft didn't choose anything, because when they came to Obsidian the game was being published by THQ. When THQ went under Ubisoft bought the rights to publish the game.

16. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

I have a 3770K and an 770 and I haven't purchased a game in several months yet, I'm still gaming with Free-to-Plays and the occasional Arma 2 DayZ mod.

17. Uprising

Walking Dead season 2, not South Park.

I think it's about $16. I had a couple of bucks credit, from selling those pointless cards.

#57 Uprising, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  18. CCorn

CCorn Member

I can't get past the anal probe scene. I'm about to quit.
    potential spoiler if you have the game.

19. MykTek

MykTek Member

i bought the collector's edition with teh 6" Grand Wizard Cartman... so far, the game is pretty fun

20. VanityHalfBlack

I would buy this game whether $29 or $59, just not now when other games I'm waiting for like the new batman game, holy ****.