1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Expect the NBA back playing by mid/late June with 10 reg season games before POs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, May 5, 2020.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

the protocols are still being ironed out as far as the ones who will be working as staff. It includes testing on a regular basis and compensation details for possibly staying in the bubble for the select number that will be working. the last reports were this had to be discussed with the union in regards to disney etc.

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

they gotta create a situation where staff is restricted to staying on the Disney site...all chosen staff have to have negative tests and all that other protocol they’re doing with the players, coaches, and team/league officials before and after they arrive...quadruple their pay, give them extra benefits, or whatever else they gotta do as well

they can downsize staff as more and more teams end up leaving

they do that, and players don’t wander off into the Covid-infested streets outside of Disney (I don’t think any of them will) while not allowing outside people to enter, then that gives them their best chance of pulling this off

HP3, D-rock and jch1911 like this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

it makes them look really clueless

I am not up to date on the situation in Vegas, but suggesting Houston as a possible destination? Really?

and these 8 useless teams need to just stop it...nobody wants to see them play their trash basketball

they didn’t take the season seriously, so we don’t take them seriously...stfu, stop the nonsense, and enjoy the extra rest with your families

HP3, D-rock and malakas like this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

that's pretty much the general ideal. it's the logistics and labor issues that they have to come to an agreement with. I'm sure if anyone of us were to commit to staying there, you would want to be compensated as such. questions are what the details are within that

and that's true as time goes by there's going to be less and less people there especially right after the first 8 games, when 6 teams automatically go home.

Reeko likes this.
  5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

It keeps getting lost in the discussion, but protocols are more important than location. I'd much rather be in a hot spot like Florida or Texas with considerable protection than I would just being out and about in Montana and living like it's February. Ideally, of course, you could have both. But the protocols are what's most important of all. This "Serious Seven" graphic is informative:

One of the most glaring absences, given constant foot traffic, is grocery stores. The thing is, with the exception of store employees who routinely have face-to-face interactions with customers and/or co-workers... it's not one of the biggest drivers of spread for society at large, even though there are lots of people with COVID going through there each day. Why? Because we've learned that surface contamination isn't the primary way the virus spreads. Most people are also there for only a short period of time, and most of us aren't face-to-face with anybody while there (other than maybe a cashier, and they're required to wear a mask).

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/s0522-cdc-updates-covid-transmission.html

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/a...get-coronavirus-at-the-grocery-store-unlikely

The virus spreads when people are in tight settings (especially indoor) like household gatherings, bars, churches, etc. for extended periods, and especially when the other people aren't wearing masks. It's an apples to oranges comparison to, say, a Disney staffer who makes your bed while wearing a mask and while you're not in the room. Even if that staffer is positive, they're unlikely to transfer it that way. That's just one example, and there are definitely staffers beyond maids that it could be trickier with. That's what they're negotiating. But some folks are acting like people from the outside Florida world are just going to be constantly running around in their faces without masks and asking for autographs. You can have extensive protocols that greatly reduce the risk of transmission, even if the support staff isn't 100% bubbled..

Now, does that mean there will be zero cases? Of course not, the odds are something will slip through over several weeks, especially in a hot spot. But I think it's reasonable to hope that between restrictive protocols and daily testing and symptom monitoring of NBA players and staff, you could isolate any cases that slip through before there's a full-fledged outbreak.

P.S. All that said, even if feasible, I don't buy that the Delete Eight will play in Houston or anywhere else. Ultimately, those protocols take a lot of time and money, and I don't think the upside of random Cavs-Hawks exhibitions (not like they'll be playing for anything) will justify the massive expense. My guess is a lot of players on those teams aren't thrilled to miss out on the money and exposure going to their counterparts in Orlando and want to see if they can get in on the action... but the economics just won't support it, IMO. It's a dangerous time, and you need to have (or generate, in this case) major money to potentially create the type of environment to minimize it.

#1225 The Cat, Jun 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    D-rock likes this.
  6. malakas

malakas Member

No the protocol isnt more important than location.
    This isnt a military base and operation.

Arent you a member of the media?

Florida will become the next Lombardy and even worse.
    Now how will it look for the NBA to go ahead with their bubble when all around them will be a catastrophe?
    Its such low hanging fruit and prime target for public outrage.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

please explain your reasoning for this

8. malakas

malakas Member

I now see thats why people fail to understand why the nba will not even have the chance to resume the season.
    You cant see what will happen in Florida?
    There are 10.000 new cases every day with 27% positive in Miami.
    A region full of old people , a high % of obesity and minorities.
    The virus couldnt ask for a better place to infect.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

yup it's just pure laziness for the people not even following everything thats being put into this to just disregard it just bc they feel like it. no research done whatsoever with a stubborn tunnel outlook. it's actually quite impressive how well this is being put together. the logistics and everything involved to organize something like this together takes a incredibly massive amount of work and how all parties involved need to come to an agreement from so many different angles. every major sports league that looks to play down the road, is looking at this and going to do their own copy cat version of it and take what they can from it.

The Cat likes this.
  10. The Cat

If Central Florida becomes worse than Lombardy, then yes. I think that’s that’s a fair consideration. I don’t think it’s reasonable for Adam Silver to reach that conclusion at this time.

That said, is it something to monitor? Yes.

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Let's see Florida alone is doing 10k new cases a day. Italy peaked at 6k.

But like you say, it's just the flu and no big deal

Please explain your reasoning - actually don't just shut up, you will make people die.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  12. The Cat

There’s a reason why Fauci and others appear much more concerned about the MLB/NFL plans than NBA/MLS. These have a shot at being reasonably successful. Not perfect, obviously, but there’s a reasonable shot at containment.

D-rock likes this.
  13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

sam your xanax prescription is wearing out, perhaps schedule a visit for a double-up?

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

so basically you have a lot of emotion and zero facts to back up your statement?

here's a fact -- daily deaths in florida have fallen by a third over the past month

15. malakas

malakas Member

Oh I am sorry.
    I thought I was addressing a normal thinking human being not a bird brain ostrich.

So many facts and science go to waste in front of stupid.
    Daily cases, % of positive, old population, obesity, minorities...
    But FLORIDA will be special!
    Everyone else can die but not them lol.

Death will be throwing a party by next week no matter how much they cook the books.

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

so now you have emotion + personal attacks, but still zero facts. i expected so much more from you on your 2nd try :D

cases are a function of more testing, so comparing # of cases in florida to # of cases in lombardy is just silly (not to mention the 2x population in FL)

minorities? let's examine the "reason" you have offered. there are roughly 300k chinese minority textile and leather workers in lombardy, predominantly from the wuhan region, who were traveling back & forth bringing the virus in well before any sort of measures were put in place. that does not seem like the same minority template for florida. silly yet again

old population? 37% of lombardy's population is above the age of 55. 26% for florida. do i sense a pattern of sillyness in the midst here? :D

to-date lombardy has 16k covid deaths to florida's 3k. and florida has more than 2x the population. but keep squealing and calling people names, do it even louder for more emphasis!

17. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I think @malakas and @SamFisher bring up a very good point about potential injuries requiring procedures for NBA players. What happens then? Resources being diverted to the NBA to care for non COVID/non life threatening needs would be a bad look.

From an outside perspective and as someone who supports the NBAs safety protocols, I have the question, will the NBA have their own medical staff in place (doctors, nurses, etc) if needed to tend to such a need or would they need to be taken to an Orlando facility? My hope is that no serious injuries happen nor any severe COVID situations take place, otherwise, there should be an alternative to Florida.

Let's be real, is not just the league that wants to make money. So this notion that it's a greedy league with greedy owners that just wants to make money is all bullshit. Players want to make money too, not everybody has made the earnings of Chris Paul/LeBron James etc, so it's not unreasonable that players along with staff want to go back to work (not sure how staff compensation is handled or referees, etc). After, this is a job for these guys. Next season is not guaranteed either, COVID is here for the foreseeable future.

Easy and D-rock like this.
  18. malakas

malakas Member

Florida has 5.9 million over 65.
    Lombardy has 2 million over 65.
    Who do you think will have more deaths from covid?

Cases are a function of more testing?
    Funny because that would mean that the % of positives then would be falling but lo and behold in miami dale it has reached 27%??

Yes minorities.
    In the UK they did a huge statistical analysis that found that BAME have a significant higher mortality up to 3 times more than whites. For both genders.
    A black woman has double the mortality from covid19 of a white woman of the same age.
    Noone did a study about far east asian to see how this affected lombardy but just by seeing the mortality rates in the far east countries it is obvious its not double as much as whites.

Lets not even go into obesity and diabetes.

It is obvious as day that Florida will be the mext Lombardy and even worse
    And the worst is that even now they dont take any measures so the situation with July 4rth coming will make the tsunami even bigger.

19. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Where is protests?

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

FL actually has an estimated 2019 over-65 population of 4.5M
    https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/FL

but this has still been a much more successful reply on your part, at least attempting to include some facts

they unfortunately show little correlation or relevance w/ lombardy, however

and you (perhaps disingenuously?) bring up miami dade county which to-date has 31k cases and 947 deaths, instead of orange county (where the nba's bubble is going to be located) which has 9k cases and only 56 deaths. seems like orange county might correlate more w/ calabria than lombardia lol

and you completely missed the point about chinese minorities BRINGING THE VIRUS UNDETECTED STRAIGHT FROM WUHAN before any pandemic was even detected. this created a massive spread of infection there. not to mention the inordinate number of deaths in nursing homes, which will likely be better protected in FL now.

also you claim they (florida) don't take any measures, but the governor there just shut down bars and halted the reopening schedule