1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Expect the NBA back playing by mid/late June with 10 reg season games before POs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, May 5, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Shush.... everything is magically better now. Didn’t you see that the President is disbanding his “Pandemic Crisis Team”. The President has suggested states open up (and they are) and those that are not going to work are being told they will not get unemployment.

Everything is perfectly fine. It is summer time, “people’s supposed to be horny”.

BigMaloe, Deuce, DoitDickau and 4 others like this.
  2. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Also, T Mobile Arena would be one of the better arenas in the NBA if Vegas had a team. It's state of the art, brand new, already hosts the NHL, and is within walking distance of basically the entire strip. I'd be shocked if they don't hold a basketball championship there very soon anyway.

[​IMG]

3. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I think heypartner has a point because without fans in the stand, these games allows the NBA and broadcasters an opportunity to use different camera angles and technologies to present new or more engrossing experience of an NBA game that is normally not possible when it would block views from the stands or be distracting to fans in the stadium.

Implementing those would be much easier on an NBA court that already meets a variety of specifications and regulations.

pippendagimp and RocketRed84 like this.
  4. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Mid June you say? Got it, season is canceled....

robbie380 and CK Johnson like this.
  5. RocketRed84

RocketRed84 Member

This is great news. If I've got live Rockets basketball or any NBA basketball on my birthday on June 23, I'll be happy.

Tfor3 likes this.
  6. TilmanFinancialWindfall

"HOT" and "Horny," you know, hot sex will make everything KOOL. This whole thing is a Demowitchcraft hoax!

One of the Greatest Man in the world said this:

“The virus that we’re talking about having to do, a lot of people think that goes away in April, with the heat, as the heat comes in and people get horny, typically that will go away in April,” repeated later to a group of governors in March.

Trump told supporters at a rally in New Hampshire in early March that the virus will be gone by April, claiming that when temperatures rise, “the virus” will “miraculously” go away and this is the greatest economy ever.

Nook likes this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

not sure if you heard these rumblings as well, that a few nba teams are for sale and one of them could very well be going to Vegas. I definitely seeing that happening at some point

Hank McDowell likes this.
  8. D-rock

D-rock Member

F off loser.

9. TilmanFinancialWindfall

He's probably a Mavs fan. Loser doesn't even know we have been to the

WCF more times than any other team, other than Warriors.

2 TIMES WCF since 2015. Only Warriors have appeared in WCF more than Rockets!!!

Tfor3 and D-rock like this.
  10. Newlin

Newlin Member

Everything will go smoothly until one player gets the virus. Then we know what happens.

Deckard, Smacktle, Caesar and 3 others like this.
  11. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I’m not necessarily against some form of the season continuing , assuming ample precaution is taken. Idk how they could justify putting spectators in seats tho . But if Vegas wants to host some sort of empty aren’t show then that’s fine . We can even have magic at halftime lol . Just on tv / internet .

If they do this , I do hope they push back next season

12. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

I’m gold as long as they ban Gobert for the rest of the year..

jim1961 and Tfor3 like this.
  13. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

There's not been a single model that's been correct. I especially call bull on the 3k/day in the summer where heat and especially humidity actually HAVE been reported to kill the virus fairly quickly.

Tfor3 likes this.
  14. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Great. Your training and experience in epidemiology should serve you well.

Der Rabbi, D-rock, DoitDickau and 2 others like this.
  15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You won't get it. If anything you'll get a bizarro simulacrum.

16. CircaSurvive

CircaSurvive Member

Lookin like a season, how u.

RocketRed84 likes this.
  17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I was just coming here to say this because this timeline doesn't make much sense.

Ok let's say they get 10 more games in. That will take about 3 weeks which pushes things into early to mid July. Last year's playoffs took 2 months to do. They could cut that in half if they go to 3 game series and then a 5 game finals. That means the season finishes sometime around mid to late August.

So when does the draft happen? While the playoffs are going on? Before the playoffs start?

Then what about next pre-season? It started Sept 30 this season so that would mean a month in between the finals and pre-season and then about another 3 weeks before the season starts. It's all so compressed that I don't see it working. They need to be doing training camps right now to get this going and started on June 1 to even have a reasonable chance at doing something from my perspective.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

next season isn't slated to begin until December. the draft will be held sometime before then, based off the most recent reports. by no means is the plan for next season to start at the normal date regardless if the season resumes this summer or not

rough timeline

spider and gobert kissed and made up. interesting

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You only need to play maximum 2 games a day, in each city East/West.

When a group of decision-makers get together to discuss wild change during a crisis, plans that involve least amount of change, that leverage as much current status quo, usually win out.

NBA Arenas have least amount of challenges to executing a playoff game, because they are built for it. Having games in non NBA arenas can happen, but there are significant hurdles not only to overcome, but you have to convince others versus NBA Arena only plans. As cyberx has said, there are many things being discussed. And I'm sure one Plan being discussed is an NBA Arenas Only plan.

Those groups advocating for playoff games in Non NBA Arenas have an uphill battle in that argument.

D-rock likes this.
  20. 9baller

9baller Member

@cyberx Any idea on the playoff format?