1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Celtics approached the Rockets on interest in Gordon Hayward

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Nov 13, 2018.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Ha... i guess. Decent problem to have. The Warriors are still a top 3 team in the league without KD. Bear in mind that Bob Myers is a REALLY GOOD GM himself. They're going to resign Klay, what happens with KD will happen - if he opts out, it's because he wants to leave anyway, if he opts in, he opts in and they hope he can be a spark off the bench by playoffs next year. Then Myers will fill some holes - like the bench.

The Warriors are moving to a $2 billion+ new arena complex next year. Luxury tax might become a problem for them in the future, but I don't see them that worried now, even if their total bill is HUGE.

I think value is more nebulous than we make it out. It's less clear with Harden. But more clear with someone like say Westbrook. Give me a healthy Mike Conley over Westbrook, for example. I'm less concerned about individual player value and more concerned about overall team value - not $$ value, but quality of play value. Will we get back equal value for Harden? No. But might that less equal value create a path to get back, as a TEAM, to a better spot, sooner than otherwise? MAYBE.

I think he could have multiple good years still in him. BUT... with the caveat that (i) he never plays a full season anymore and frankly we will never know if he can make it through 4 rounds of playoffs, and (ii) a good year for him is still a declining year getting paid $40 million plus. There's no two ways around this - value/$ this is a disaster. Even more so because of what you're pointing out - we kind of still need his good years without a full season with eggshell feel in the playoffs.

I don't know, this kind of irks me. It's one thing to say should DM have really been able to predict that Lawson wouldn't work and therefor, combined with what he was probably hearing about Dwight in the locker room moved on from that situation better. It's another thing entirely for, for example, a star acquisition to get hurt in the playoffs, when he ALWAYS gets hurt in the playoffs. Last year was the most games CP3 ever played in the playoffs, partially because he often gets hurt in the playoffs.

Meaning... no, last year's team wasn't good enough to win, because availability is a huge part of ability. CP3s health was part of the bargain when you got him.

DM is really good, no doubt.

Here's the list of longer tenured GMs than Daryl: R.C. Buford (Spurs), Danny Ainge (Celtics), Donnie Nelson (Mavs). Chris Wallace (Grizzlies) was also hired in 2007, but he's now been demoted. Sam Presti was also hired in 2007. Gar Foreman (Bulls) is the only other GM hired before 2012 still with the team.

So of Buford, Ainge, Nelson, Presti, Foreman and Daryl... in terms of success, Daryl is 5 out of 6. Ainge and Nelson and Presti have retooled their team more than once. Frankly, you could say the same about R.C. today, but they f'd it up with the Kawhi situation.

Again, I'm not advocating DM be fired or anything. I'm just calling a spade a spade.

Hakeemtheking and snowconeman22 like this.
  2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

@JayZ750 gotcha

We are more or less on the same page . Just a few agree to disagree things at this point lol

Availability is the trickiest thing to deal with IMO

I also think DM is in a position where he HAS to go for it .

Becoming weaker in the immediate term to become much stronger in the long term is a viable strategy .... but he's never had an owner that allows him to make that choice .

I don't know what else we can ask from him (in terms of moves in the immediate future)

While we likely weren't good enough this year , who knows how close we truly were . Could a deadline move made us better . Perhaps if we'd gone over the tax to keep a player or sign a released guy .

Still many questions of course ... even if we got past GS .

If I had to do a power ranking for all our teams the last 10 years it might go like this

Starting with 08-09

Top 3. (8-9)
    Mediocre (9-10)
    Mediocre. (10-11)
    Mediocre (11-12)
    Mediocre. (12-13)
    Top 10. (13-14)
    Top 3. (14-15)
    Mediocre (15-16)
    Top 10 (16-17)
    Top 3. (17-18)
    Top 5. (18-19)

Is that good ? I dunno

I've definitely seen the stat about the rockets having the most wins in the NBA ( or 2nd to SA) over the last however many years

Probably a lot of that comes from not being bad when we are bad . Not bottoming out .

Would I have rather had top 5 picks than 14.

You bet . But DM wasn't allowed to do it ( Idk if he would)

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Right... its the nature of the beast that the NBA is, like all sports leagues, an arena where you are either the best, or you've lost. And the NBA in particular has low parity. And indeed, he's doing his best, given the directives of his owners - though every owner will have directives.

The question will ultimately become, how long of a rope? We all hope Harden can get there. Let's just hypothesize that he doesn't, just for a thought experiment. So say, 5 more years. Do you move on from DM then - ignoring the fact that he'll probably move on first in that scenario?? I'd argue why? Why move on at that point, if indeed you think he is a top GM in the league. We'd need him more than ever.

Long story short, are you saying stick with him forever, as long as the team is consistently a top team, even if they never win a ring?

snowconeman22 likes this.
  4. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Prefer Capela but that’s not the worst idea either. Definitely intrigued by having Bev back, who would’ve guessed we’d miss his 3pt shooting most of all?

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Paul and Capela

For

Horford, and Rozier (S&T 1 year 10 mill)

Rockets get a fresh start next FA with zero long term contracts outside of Harden. Use Capela to dump Paul, but get two solid one year rentals.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rather sign Terrence Ross over Bev. Longer defender and better 3 pt shooter.

7. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

You are right, since 04-05 season, the Rockets do have 2nd best record in the league. Hard to believe, the only other teams that are in the discussion are the Spurs and Celtics.

"Darrell Maury..." lol. That Daryl Morey is one of the successful individuals in the modern NBA. Everyone else has been sporadic in success. Outside the Spurs, Celtics, a LBJ-lead team, and the Warriors.

The Lakers with great Kobe Bryant and Phil Jackson had a total of six playoff appearances between 05-06 to 16-17. They are revered for two little titles. The Celtics managed 1 and two appearances in the same time. Even, the Spurs have only 3 championship appearances with two wins.

Acquiring superstars and quality role players without tanking or hideous trades.

Really, the only players or teams have anything to brag about are the Dubs, the Spurs, and ...LBJ. Everyone else is meh. Maybe, the Thunder, but that's pretty much it. Most other teams should be rather quiet, because if you don't falling this category...
    Since 05-06,

Warriors - 3 NBA Championships, 5 NBA Finals, 7 consecutive playoff appearances.

LBJ (Cleveland, Miami) - 3 NBA Championships, 9 NBA Finals, 13 consecutive playoff appearances.a

Spurs - 2 NBA Championships, 3 NBA Finals appearances, and in the middle of 23 year playoff streak.

Celtics - 1 NBA Championship, 2 NBA Finals, 11 playoff appearances.

Morey's tenure - 0 NBA Championship, 0 NBA Finals, 10 playoff appearances, 13 consecutive winning seasons. No superstars in 2010-2012 until acquired Dwightmare.

I want to pose a question for all Morey-haters, anti-analytics, anti-Morey ball fans, active players, ex-players, and critics who should the Rockets model their team, after...

The tanking teams; the copycats (their version of a sort of Big 3, Warriors--3 ball, or a one-man show); the teams who acquire one of the very best top 4 players.

Titles, like most games are won circumstanially, as much as they strategically. The season is very much a marathon, which means by design many teams, as well as players and coaches develop tendencies that work for them, as much as it does against them. Would it make sense to shoot alot of mid-range and long 2 point jump shots with a team of players who cannot shot them.

Nearly every team in sports history, even the great ones have teams that they don't matchup with particular Example, if the Patriots somehow avoided the Giants, they'd likely have eight championships, take out Peyton Manning and the Ravens. It's as low as 9, but as high as 13. Fans would be complaining about NFL, not being fair or rigged. Where's the parity at? One or two games with circumstances changed.

We should trust Morey on this.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  8. mockster

mockster Member

9. finsraider

finsraider Member

Would have to be a swap with CP3. Doesn’t make sense for either team.

justtxyank likes this.
  10. topfive

topfive CF OG

Can we retire this thread? Every time I see it, I think it's new and panic.

BigSherv, Deuce, justtxyank and 3 others like this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

This & the Kevin Love thread(s)

BigSherv, D-rock, saleem and 4 others like this.
  12. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

Yeah it's about time

Not been one of cyberex best off season just like Morey ....hmmmmm