1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Celtics approached the Rockets on interest in Gordon Hayward

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Nov 13, 2018.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Boston will tell LAL to take a hike. The Rockets need a Hayward type to add to Paul. GH is not an adequate replacement for Chris under any circumstances.

vlaurelio and Rudyc281 like this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Rather have KCP and Rondo expiring and go after one of Durant/Leonard/Butler/Irving/Kema/Thompson

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I don't think we would have the cap space just by unloading CP3?

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

We could pay to dump Knight, and Gordon would be an easy salary to move as well. Leaving us with just Harden, Capela and Tucker, which would open up a max.

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  5. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Fans actually want Chris Paul traded? Have these morons realize the Rockets problem is the bench?

6. Eleazucena

Eleazucena Member

and Starting SF ... trash ennis

7. amaru

amaru Member

They still think M&lo was the only problem....so no lol

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thank you...

jeevinesh likes this.
  9. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Slowly coming back to form, 30/7/4 last night and a game winner tonight.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  10. rockets13champs

He’ll be good for Celtics next year with more mins, Kyrie will be gone so he will be able to bring up the ball more

don grahamleone likes this.
  11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't say that. He averaged like 6ppg for the 5 games before that.

I think he'll be better next season but people are ignoring the fact that he is too small to be a PF and too slow to be a SF. The game has accelerated quickly since he was last a full time player. Even if he had never gotten injured, I suspect he would not be as successful right now as he was with the Jazz. His 3pt shot was always shaky. His defense always suspect.

Going to take a lot of work both on fitness and jumper just to make him a 6th man of the year candidate imo. I think he will do it though and give them quality minutes backing up the 3 and 4 minutes. Which kind of sucks for the Celtics given they're paying him $30m+ but they can get real value out of him.

As far as whether anyone should acquire him, I would say not unless you're a bench player away from winning it and have the cap room to absorb a bad contract. Two years remaining after this one is not the absolute worst thing in the world.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

What? The game hasn't accelerated that quickly in the last 2 years.

It's gotten a "little" more open... principally because more teams accept moreyball and the league changed the OReb shot clock to 14, and added a freedom of movement rule.

None of those are inherently bad for Gordon Hayward pre-injury. In the three years before his injury he shot 40%, 35% and 36% from three. On volume. You could have looked this up. He was super consistent near all-star level player those last three years.

The issues this year seem to be almost exclusively (i) injury return, and (ii) the Celtics chaos.

Neither of those are guaranteed to get better. He may never get there. I don't know if he'll ever get "back to form" or not. Every serious injury and person recovering is different.

Relative to the Celtics issue, this is a week old, but there was an interesting stat/discussion about Hayward's stats with/without Kyrie playing the game:

I wouldn't risk acquiring him in the offseason... but I would note it would definitely be "classic" risk. High variability outcome.

I think its most likely he slowly does get back to form somewhat, even if never his last year in Utah type player, but a guy that can give you mid teens on decent everything (efficiency, boards, assists, defense). Frankly, while he's not returning to what he was... he is in some ways coming around. He's been much more efficient scorer the last 14 games. He shot 51% overall in February and 44% from three. He's shooting 60% overall and 36% from three in March.

#452 JayZ750, Mar 7, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  13. Mathloom

Supporting Member

The league has accelerated because it's constantly becoming more athletic at a faster pace, and he was never going to become more athletic. Same reason Melo and Ryno became 0's despite contributing to winners in the not so distant past.

His shooting 35% and 36%, that's not strong at all. Definition of average. He was 30 before that, then 41, 34 and 47. Currently 33%. That's shaky as hell year to year. What was keeping him efficient was his ability to get to the line 6 times. By next season he will struggle to stay with SF's imo, and he will not have the length/height/strength to guard PF's.

If he's smart he'll repurpose his career and if things miraculously come back, it's a huge bonus.

BallSoHarden likes this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

took 2 years for pg13 to get back to a high level. Hayward will be ok. He wasn't going to get it all back right off the bat, especially with boston having a number of guys who want/need to play. We still see hes very much still talented. if they round into a good rhythm as the playoffs come around, yeah thats definitely not good for the rest of the east.

BallSoHarden likes this.
  15. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Gordon Parsons

CriscoKidd likes this.
  16. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

People still want to trade Chris Paul? The forum never disappoints.

17. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

To me he is a more versatile but not as accurate Joe Ingles that makes $30M+. Am I way off with that assessment?

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I might have missed a post on this last page, but I think the CP3 trade things you see were from earlier this season, before the Night King resurrected this thread.

theoldblood likes this.
  19. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Not too far off. Right now this moment, Ingles is better or as good at every single thing except driving to the basket. Plus he clearly has the strength to play the 4.

luckyman76 likes this.
  20. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Hayward and Tatum for AD and Solomon Hill.