1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Soriano to Houston????

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Al22ex, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Put him in center and tell Biggio Peace Out. Soriano can hit you 35 homers maybe 45 in Minute Maid, drive in over 100 and steal 30 bases. My batting order would be:

Soriano
    Berkman
    Kent
    Bagwell
    Hidalgo
    Ensberg
    Everett
    Ausmus
    Pitcher

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Now that's a Big-Time line-up Lil Francis.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Has Soriano ever played center?

4. ths balla

ths balla Member

i don't think soriano has played center but he was going to for the rangers

5. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Yeah, the Rangers want Texeria (1b), Blalock (3b) and Young (2b) in their infield. If that franchise could just get some young pitching they'd be a tough contender a few years down the road.

6. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I heard Soriano was gonna play SS for the Rangers. He was gonna be our CF if Alu hadn't nixed the trade to the Yankees. Biggio still hits much better than Everrett, so I'd rather keep him in the lineup and Put Soriano at SS, where he has some experience.

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

WOW. I would do it in an instant. That would be sweet to have him. I'm not a huge fan of Robertson, he had a HUGE amount of run support last season. His 15 wins don't say that he was a good pitcher.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

lol...that is not going to happen....hart is not that stupid. we would be lucky to get roger cedeno for robertson. he sucks...he is not good. he is jim parque.

9. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Assuming we trade 2 pitchers to the Rangers for Soriano...where do we put him? We already have a second baseman in CF. We aren't going to bench Kent. That would be stupid.

Do we bench Everett and put Soriano at SS...or maybe 3B?

10. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

I assume he can play center field? Where did we plan on putting him when we were trading alou for him...

11. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

nevermind that was answered earlier in the thread.. I didn't realize there were that many posts since I checked last!

12. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I think Adam Everett would make a nice center fielder.

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Soriano in without Kent or Hidalgo for good prospects is silly, IMO.

Robertson IS a major league pitcher. He was prone to bad innings. I like the guy. He'll win 12 - 16 for the next 10 years somewhere. He'll still be pitching deep into his 30s.

14. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I think Robertson can win 12 - 16 wins for the next 10 years somewhere. Too make sure we are on the same page, I think he can win 12 -16 wins total over the next 10 years, because if you think he can win that many a season, you are crazy.

15. Nomar

Nomar Member

Speed and contact?

Bah.

How about a guy that takes pitches and has a high OBP.

Either way, Soriano is not that guy.

Stilll, for Carlos, I gotta say pull the trigger.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

So, let me get this straight -- you're sane and I'm crazy? Thanks, I'll get the help I need because of your insight.

17. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This may sound weird, but I don't really want Soriano. He strikes out a lot because he is a dead fastball hitter (albeit a freaking great one) but can't do anything with breaking pitches. In a nutshell, "straight ball, bat like very much...of curveball, bat is afraid." His high homer numbers for an infielder will make him popular, though, and he will end up getting paid more than he is worth. If all it would take to get him is Carlos and Jeriome, then that is pretty indicative of what we might could get in return if we decided to trade Soriano.

Any more than those two guys and I definitely say no.

18. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Carlos Hernandez is way too injury prone. Talented but will continue to have arm problems given his stature.

Jeroime Robertson is at best a # 3 or 4 rotation starter. Consistently mediocre with an occasional 15-16 game season.

I would trade those 2 in a heartbeat for Soriano and move him to CF.

He'll be just as bad defensively as Biggio but with a lot more power and speed.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

This is the one argument I'll never understand.

Carlos Hernandez injured himself sliding head-first into second base, thereby partially tearing his rotator cuff.

It never healed, he pitched thru pain in 2002, and they forced him to shut it down after the shoulder wasn't responding to rest.

His stature had nothing to do with it.

Same goes with Oswalt... he originally injured his groin on a cold night in San Fran in 2001 (probably didn't warm up or stretch fully).... but he rested it in the offseason, was HEALTHY in 2002, and then re-injured the groin last year ON THE BASEPATHS in Pittsburgh.

While both pitchers could be injury prone given their stature, none of their injuries thus far could be blamed on that. Just dumb luck and bad baserunning.

Lets wait till they have a few more injuries, ala a Pedro or even a Kevin Brown, before we start blaming their "stature."

#39 Nick, Mar 1, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2004
  20. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In fact, wasn't Carlos's slide injury the reason why the Astros instated the team rule that any poor slides by a player were fine-worthy? Or was that a different player?