1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Some figures to think about..

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by sammy, Sep 14, 2015.

1. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes...check-failure-war-terror-150911151414017.html

I don't think I can embed the link but the numbers listed in this video are pretty eye opening.

Interesting tidbit.. I've known Mehdi since I was young. He married a family friend and visits Houston often. Dude got his own show now so that's pretty cool for him. I don't keep in touch with him so promoting his stuff isn't what this is about.

The war on terror = war on drugs

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I haven't have a chance to watch the video but I do agree the "war on terror" is as horrible as the "war on drugs". Misguided and naive and has caused much much greater harm in both the short term and long term. Very frustrating to watch unfold

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Sammy, if the question is whether the architects of the invasion and assault achieved their objectives, the answer is unquestionably yes.

If the question is whether the war achieved what many of us thought to be accurate about the intentions in the initial stages, then obviously it's a no. However, it's no longer legitimate to even hold those opinions - that the intention was to bring democracy or free Afghans or to eliminate every person from the opposition or to kill OBL or to stop the flow of drugs. Those were fairytales back then, and we have a track record now to show they were always fairytales.

At this point, people who still believe in those things are essentially cowardly war mongers or obscenely obedient to their party politics.

Mehdi wants to call attention to these things, which is good, but this is old news. The latest news should be, how do you get rid of American troops and 800 military bases in the world. That is the root cause of everything. Nothing else in the world is nearly as impactful as this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gU8rQWh_qtc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Everything else is a symptom, including many actions of the apparatus itself. We don't know what the world would be like without this, all we know is that US politicians would have you believe that this set up is the only thing in the way of global chaos and terror and war lol. What else would they say?

1 person likes this.
  4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm not sure if you enjoy typing Mathloom, but if you ever find it cumbersome, you could limit your responses to "Insert my opinion here" and we would all know that you wanted to make a post that says all of the world's problems are caused by the United States.

Could be a time saver for you and help prevent arthritis.

1 person likes this.
  5. bongman

bongman Member

What was eye popping was that I did not know Francisco Garcia had that accent.

Interesting numbers indeed.

6. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Lay off the bong. How does that British Journalists look anything remotely like Francisco Garcia?

7. Mathloom

Supporting Member

If you want to assume it's all the fault of the United States as a general amorphous entity, that's your opinion.

My opinion has always been that the most powerful elements in the US government create the largest impact on foreign citizens and US citizens and the impact does not align with foreign citizens' or US citizens attitudes. The same people who are committing whatever injustice towards Americans are doing so way worse towards non-Americans by threat of force and support of their oppressors.

It's time to grow up. Watch the video. 800+ bases vs 30 for the rest of the entire world. Take responsibility for what is happening. How can that NOT be the biggest factor in world politics?

Hundreds of bases in dozens of other countries, includes troops and weapons ready to attack at a moments' notice. You have nuclear weapons pointed at regions of the world with a finger on the trigger. To think you can take the behavior of those people and analyze it as if they are making decisions in a vacuum is idiotic.

I guess you'd have us believe..

[​IMG]

lol

#7 Mathloom, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  8. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

It's pretty clear that we did have a large part in creating the chaos around the world and anyone who says otherwise is being a blatant homer.

#8 sammy, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  9. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

[​IMG]

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's very simple. The world has been under U.S. hegemony for a little over 60 years now. A hegemony inherently has the most influence relative to other nation-states which inherently means that yes, some of these problems are largely a problem the U.S. partly created. Anyone denying this or straw-manning the position by stating "Oh you think the whole world's problems are the United State's fault." is an idiot. Simple.

11. bongman

bongman Member

once you take a hit you will see the resemblance ;-p

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Call me an idiot if you'd like, but I didn't setup a strawman.

Mathloom literally said

So in his opinion, the root cause of "everything" is America's military action around the world, which means he thinks "everything" is America's fault.

13. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Granted my first post was unclear, but like I said you're being obtuse. I clarified it in my very next post:

You knew this of course but you would rather start a discussion about Mathloom than continue a discussion about the obvious facts you seem to deny.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Mathloom's incoherent rants against USA and Israel are an embarrassment.

15. Exiled

Exiled Member

Fixed