1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Solving Illegal Immigration

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by thumbs, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I don't believe that but I do believe the political parties do not reflect the true political factions of our society. I think you're an example of why that continues to be the case.

2. Bandwagoner

Well the interesting thing is despite their criticism, they will roll over on spending 20 billion dollars for a wall they've called worthless but not e-verify. I guess they are fine with spending money but not solving problems.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They can demonize Trump and the Republicans for the wall but something like e-verify would be far too effective and would work against DNC goals.

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's an easy problem to solve, just nobody really wants to solve it. The parties just want to use the issue for their culture wars.

Anyway, to solve this I would

End birthright citizenship, citizenship given to children of one American parent.
    Implement e-verify and a guest worker program
    No amnesty, but provide a path to citizenship given military service or some type of civil service.

That's it.

B-Bob likes this.
  5. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Of the problems you've listed government corruption and infrastructure are the most serious. Income disparity will be with us as long as there are human beings roaming the planet. Climate -- and therefore the environment -- changes on a regular basis even though we aren't around every millennia when it happens, although I do agree we need to do more to clean up the planet.

Automation can be a huge positive or a giant negative -- we really don't know which yet. It is changing and will continue to alter the global workplace. Short of returning to the Stone Age, the march toward greater mechanization is inexorable.

Guns aren't violent -- people are. Until we come up with a foolproof, legal way of segregating all those with mental problems, we will be forced to live our humanity, including all the foibles.

#45 thumbs, Jun 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

So now you are blaming me, some random anonymous dude on a basketball forum. That's just special.

7. Bandwagoner

I argue you are an example of the reason these people continue to get away with this. Seems obvious.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The only thing I'd argue against is ending birthright citizenship or more accurately your proposal to end a certain type of birthright citizenship (you can't actually END birthright citizenship as a whole without a constitutional amendment because some of it is guaranteed by the 14th amendment...just not the type you are talking about).

I don't think you could get even half a dozen Democrats between the house and senate to vote for your proposal though.

9. Bandwagoner

I took him to mean easy as in it could be done with government intervention, not politically easy. Something that could not be said about theft or opioid deaths for example.

If you want employers to stop hiring illegals you simply make it not worth it financially.

In the same way he said "no one wants to solve" he means the political class. American citizens want the issue solved.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you think illegal immigration is our biggest problem or close to being a big problem even, you have been badly duped into the challenges this country faces,

Maybe you should think about these problems

Health Care
    Education
    America's declining influence
    Russia's and China's increasing influence
    Growing economic hardship amongst 90% of the country
    Murders and Suicides
    Increasing inability for gov't to be functional

Things like illegal immigration are used to lit up your fears and distract you while the rich take more and the poor get less.

Fortunately for me, I got my ticket to punch - but this country is looking more and more like its in dramatic decline.

Oh, and it's not the immigrant's fault.

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Eh, I don't know a single person that has never committed a crime. If it is only one, that is pretty impressive.

But anyway, I said fewer crimes, not fewer number of people who committed a crime.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah but how many people do you know that commit crimes every single day? There's never a moment that every single illegal immigrant is not breaking at least one laws....everything they do on top of that is just bonus lawlessness.

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

But it is just one crime committed.

14. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

I agree with those that stated that illegal immigration doesn't really rank all that high severity-wise on the list of issues that the United States faces. In addition to many items on lists other people in this thread posted...I think these are also more important issues than illegal immigration:

- the potential effects of AI, robots and automation on the future job market
    - cyberbullying
    - lack of critical thinking skills and the rise of gullibility and susceptibility to bulls**t, trolling, con-artistry, snake oil, propaganda, etc. (this would probably fall under "education")
    - lack of accountability among law enforcement & the justice system

I can't think of a single example of illegal immigration negatively affecting my quality of life in any way. I suspect the same is true for the vast majority (98%+) of Americans. Many of the jobs that illegal immigrants take are jobs that Americans didn't want anyway (at least not at the offered wages).

Sure, there are exceptions...Kate Steinle, etc.

With that said, I think this issue could've been easily solved over a decade ago. I'm OK with a solution like E-Verify.

I think that both politicians and the media have a vested interest in intentionally keeping the illegal immigration issue unsolved. It's an easy topic to generate and spread propaganda, talking points and other FUD about. It can be leveraged to psychologically play to people's tribalism, fears and emotions about "them others over yonder" who are not like themselves. People who are afraid, angry or otherwise emotionally invested are more likely to vote, donate, watch 24-hour news, etc. Perceptions and stigmas often win out over facts and reality.

BTW, Illegal immigration is not the only topic that has this kind of value for politicians & media.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well sure, one crime being constantly committed on top of any others that they'd normally commit just like anyone. For example, the guy that got picked up at the military base was also driving without insurance or a drivers license. So every day he was committing a minimum of 3 crimes. They add up pretty quick.

16. dmoneybangbang

E verify + amnesty. Done.

You have to ask yourself if the GOP actually wants to solve this issue or just continue to use it as a wedge option.

No Worries likes this.
  17. dmoneybangbang

Loose labors laws and low minimum wage make illegal immigration easier. Which political party supports that?

No Worries likes this.
  18. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Walls work. Period. If they didn't, Democrats wouldn't be fighting against it so vehemently. They are dead set against losing their stream of anchor babies.

This country built the Panama Canal. It could easily build an impenetrable wall from San Diego to Brownsville.

When illegals incur a cost to the US well in excess of $100 billion yearly, $25 billion for a border wall is a drop in the bucket and is among the smartest expenditures we could make.

19. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

A wall and mandatory e-verify would essentially solve the issue. The problem is the Democrats don't want the wall, and business-first Republicans and their donors don't want e-verify. It's the uniparty swamp at work to screw over this country.

20. dmoneybangbang

Yea.... the US Mexico border is one of the world’s most travelled border. A wall wont do much when you Cartels either own logistic companies that can send drugs/people through legal checkpoints or you can tunnel under walls.

But you are right, the GOP can’t get behind e verify since their donors rely on cheap labor.

Wattafan likes this.