1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Solving Illegal Immigration

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by thumbs, Jun 15, 2018.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

We always have to be aware of bias, and I will admit I am sympathetic to college professors because I am one. But then I am also more accurately aware of their warts than people making judgments from the outside.

I wouldn't say "most" studies are conducted by "wildly liberal" college professors. I really reject that as accurate. Universities today have a surprisingly corporate environment and surprisingly corporate thinking, and this is greatly influencing the faculty. It's not the 1960's days of Berkeley -- that's for sure.

At least maybe we can agree to draw a bright line between professors (highly trained at the best universities on the planet to do what they do and study what they study) and the Hollywood types you mention. I agree it is hypocritical to cry about carbon footprint and then fly around all over in a private jet and have a 3-SUV entourage.

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Republicans have controlled both Houses since 2010, right?

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The best way to solve the illegal immigration problem is by making every person on the earth an American citizen, then when they just walk into the country they won't be breaking any laws.....also, the best way to end crime is to just legalize everything. If there's no laws then there's no criminals.

The answer was always so simple.

thumbs likes this.
  4. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Gut feeling, of course, coupled with logical deduction. The vast majority of college professors are liberal to wildly liberal. There is little argument to this. Ergo, the logical conclusion is they skew the results to fit their narrative just as partisan politicians do. Therefore, how can you trust their conclusions. Therefore, under those terms, my assertions become as valid as their "studies."

5. thumbs

Rravo!

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I know you will find anyway possible to defend your tribe but the fact is the Dems don't want your solution and would in fact much prefer to concede building a 20 billion dollar wall instead of simply holding their donors accountable with E-Verify. A solution as you noted would be incredibly effective.

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

1. Disagree strongly on "vast majority." Varies a lot by field.
    So there is actually a lot of argument to this. Sociologists are very different from medical professors and very different from profs of chemical engineerings and so on. That says nothing about a ton of individual variation. The joke when you actually spend your life with these people is: put two professors in a room and you already have five competing opinions.

2. It is not logical that professors act just like partisan politicians. That's like saying basketball players have the same skills and football players. While politicians are all about spin, professors are all about following their years-long training and the standards of their fields.

How many college professors do you know? How many do you really converse with? Do you spend any time on college campuses? FOX network makes it sound like something divorced from the reality of our universities, because that is part of their narrative.

Look, I get that it is increasingly comfortable in America to reject all experts that even mildly challenge our preferred views. If we end the idea of expertise, however, we're in for a world of hurt. I'll just let Hannity tell me how economics and physics works, how to wire my house and balance my checkbook, and we'll see how that works out for me. Not good!

Deckard and Rashmon like this.
  8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Thx for your honest answer.

I don't agree to the widely liberal assignment, but more importantly, I don't think it matters in comparison.

Studies and data can be analyzed for accuracy, bias, wrongness, etcs. Impossible to do that for guts feeling. They do not stand on the same level and thus aren't "as valid" compared to each other, especially considering that guts feeling aren't reliable (for outer observation; for inner, it's a different story).

9. conquistador#11

In Wisconsin, a state crooked hillary lost in a tremendously cold night, dairy farmers are having trouble finding workers because they've depended on undocumented immigrants for so long.

People love CHEAP labor but white Americans are too lazy to do hard work in the outdoors for meh bucks. I don't blame them. I have a bad back too. This is happening all over the place with farmers. Farmers shooting themselves in the foot and buttocks. unless they can build those creepy four legged robots to farm it's going to continue being stressful for farmers. I've posted articles from Cali, Texas and Florida having similar issues. Can you BELIEVE the corrupt government, present and past makes it hard to access RAW milk? You haven't lived until you've drank a cold glass!!!

http://www.wisconsinagriculturist.com/dairy/how-wisconsin-s-dairy-industry-came-rely-immigrant-labor

"One Wisconsin dairy farmer said: “So as our last two children entered high school, and I realized that soon I would have no family labor to rely on, we moved our farm to all hired labor. I have not been able to hire an American citizen since 1997. I have tried! The way I see it, if we didn’t have Hispanics to rely on for a workforce, I don’t believe I could continue farming.”

Farmers insist that this demographic shift in the dairy labor force is not an effort to undercut the local wage rate but, instead, to find “reliable,” hardworking, year-round employees willing to work the demanding hours and do the necessary tasks.

In the words of another Wisconsin dairy farmer: “It’s not about Hispanics. It’s about who wants to do the job. We don’t get a lot of applications from people who want to do the job. There are lots of myths out there. … In our area, you hear from some people that these people [Hispanics] are taking jobs away. But the fact of the matter is that there is nobody here who will work for those wages. The folks in ag cannot afford to pay those wages.”

Deckard likes this.
  10. No Worries

Neither side wants a solution. No need is single out one side or another.

11. Bandwagoner

I agree oth sides want this issue for elections (for years now) but there is a fact that you want a certain solution and the Democrats are willing to compromise on many other things (like a wall) before that simple solution. A solution that already exists and will punish employers instead of employees.

12. No Worries

and you go on to bash Democrats. SMH.

13. Bandwagoner

because without their BS even the horrible compromise bill could have e-verify in it. This is a case where we agree on an issue, a single party is standing in the way due to donors, and you defend the party. I don't defend any republicans calling for gun bans. It's a weird position you place yourself in.

14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

15. No Worries

You are chasing your tail here. Neither side will vote for hard e-verify enforcement bill. But go ahead and blame the Democrats.

16. Bandwagoner

I blame the democrats because if they were in favor of e-verify in the same proportion republicans were it would pass in a landslide. thats just the situation.

17. thumbs

Although I have taught at the college level for a short time, I do not and would not consider myself any sort of instructor. However, despite my limited experience as an "academic," I must disagree with you. Even the hard scientists (chemistry, biology and mathematics) with whom I had had contact were Democrats or Obamacrats. The journalism, English, history and social science instructors/professors wee … out there.:) I will not identify the school but it is a well known Texas institution (who knows, one day I may want to go back).

There is an old saw in journalism that goes: "Never let facts get in the way of a good story." That joke, I believe, found its way into the halls of higher learning.

#37 thumbs, Jun 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  18. No Worries

I guarantee that that is not the case. Republicans votes would switch, to guarantee that a hard e-force enforcement bill fails.

Is this your first rodeo?

19. Buck Turgidson

Health Care
    Income Disparity
    Infrastructure
    Climate Change
    Opioid (they're mostly made by pharma companies in the USA, and they're prescribed by American doctors) and Meth Trade
    The Environment
    Downfall of the blue collar industrial/manufacturing sector of our economy (automation, global trade, etc...)
    Gun Violence
    Government Corruption
    and probably at least a dozen others

As was said, exactly nobody is in favor of an open borders, unregulated immigration policy. We need to make the system in place function better. We need them and they want to do the work, so why don't we let them do it legally?

Amiga and gifford1967 like this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They've shifted pretty far toward the fringes lately, current year Democrats would look at supporting something like e-verify as being "draconian" or "cruel" and they'd go on about how many people were going hungry due to not being able to make a living or talk about how they'd have to make the long journey back to their home countries and they'd liken it to the trail of tears or Bataan death march.

There's just no way Democrats would work with anyone for a worthwhile immigration bill.