1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Solomon] Adelman's career at crossroads

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by nathan8, Feb 14, 2011.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Touche. How many NBA coaches have won championships in the last 20 years? How many were able to win their first championship in the last 20 years?

It's r****ded to think someone can't win a ring because they haven't yet. I might as well assume I can't get an A on an upcoming exam, because I haven't taken it yet.

2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I am willing to give Larry Brown some thought too. Almost every franchise he has jumped on board has developed significant improvement. I would prefer Elie though, since he is young blood and I have very fond memories of the Junkyard Dog, especially of his Kiss of Death against Phoenix.

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

If Adelman does indeed elect not to return to coaching next season, I think the Rockets head coaching job should be Elston Turner's to lose. Give him first crack at laying out a gameplan of his own to Les Alexander and Daryl Morey, and see if upper management and ownership are willing to buy it.

Turner has interviewed for multiple head coaching jobs, in each instance making it to the final cut. He personally has a more defensive-oriented focus than Adelman, yet is obviously fluent in the "Adelman offense."

He knows the players (well, at least those who will be here after February 24) and is familiar with their strengths and weaknesses. He will also have the "benefit" (depending on your perspective) of not having so much of a crutch to lean on some of the veterans that might leave via free agency this summer and will almost be forced to play the younger players.

I'm not saying that you just HAND the job to Elston Turner. But the guy has molded himself into one of the top assistant coaches in the NBA and seems ready to take the next step into becoming an NBA head coach. He at least deserves the opportunity to get a fair chance at his shot in Houston. (Worst case scenario: he's no good and gets fired by Year 2 of his deal. Most likely, Turner would be on the low end of the spectrum of coach salaries, so it would not be a killer for Les to eat that money and still be able to go after a bigger name for the next head coach.)

4. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i am not sure he is a defensive minded coach. he just happens to be assigned to be reponsible for rox defense. under his influence, rox defense is not good at all. i am not here to blame on him but look at tom thibo and what he did to celtics. unfortunately, we let him leave. this is definitely a bad move.

5. BigBopper

BigBopper Member

Jerry Sloan causes Adelman to consider retirement

Jerry Sloan causes Adelman to consider retirement

And in the wake of what happened last week with Sloan, Adelman admitted he and his wife have discussed him stepping away when his contract is up at the end of this season, as he told the Houston Chronicle.

“We will talk about it this year, more seriously, and decide what do I really want to do in the future?” said Adelman, who has been in the league since he was drafted by the San Diego Rockets in 1968. “I think you think about it when you get to this many years in the league."

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....retirement-as-the-guard-seems-to-be-changing/

close if already posted

6. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

We will see how high the Rockets value Brooks come the trading deadline. You are thinking about the 2008-2010 Brooks. The 2011 version is hurting the team with his sub-par play. How many more wins would we have if Ish was running the bench? Nobody would really know but our biggest win of the season against a playoff team (Denver) happened when Ish was running the bench. This was followed by the biggest loss of the season (at home to Minny). I wonder who was the bench pg in that game. :p

7. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

I'm sure it wasn't caused by Sloan. Reaching much?

8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

It's only natural. The man is approaching his mid-60's, and when he signed on with the Rockets, I don't think a constant rebuilding project was what he had in mind. He's a great coach, and I would hate to see him go, but I wouldn't blame him one bit if he did. When he came here, it was with championship aspirations.....not with the intention of babysitting punks like Aaron Brooks.

9. ThaShark316_28

If we have to look for another coach...we are SCREWED for the foreseeable future.

10. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I'll always hold out hope until I hear otherwise but this is probably it for him.

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

He didn't improve them the first year. In his 2nd year they added guys like Stephen Jackson and Tyson Chandler, so yeah, they got better that year, although I wouldn't call it stunning. Now this year they're 9-19 under him and 14-12 under Paul Silas.

They were already a conference finalist before he got there. The move that made more of a difference than LB was adding Rasheed Wallace to that conference finals team.

Or you could say when Larry Bird replaced Brown, they were a sub-.500 lotto team, and with Bird they enjoyed their two winningest seasons and lone finals appearance.

That Clipper team had good players. Danny Manning, Ron Harper, Mark Jackson, etc. LB wasn't working miracles by getting them to .500/the playoffs.

More like Brown in, losers out (21-61). David Robinson in, Terry Cummings in, Rod Strickland/Mo Cheeks in, Sean Elliott in, perennial contenders out.

This is all assuming you give him good players, which is the same for pretty much every coach.

12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I doubt he leaves right when Yao and Mcgrady are finally off the books. Let's see what happens.

13. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I can see Elston Turner being elevated to HC if the Rockets/Morey go the full rebuilding route. Save money on the HC and give a longtime assistant coach his chance.

1 person likes this.
  14. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

bring back Rudy T. :grin:

15. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I don't think Adelman has it in him to wait out this plan to find a superstar, or whatever plan we end up going with. I also think Elston Turner should be the front runner for the job. Maintain some continuity, then if it's not working out after another year or two just tear down the house and rebuild.

16. Bigmarky

Bigmarky Member

we need a new kind of coach

an eric spo type :p

17. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

If by "Eric Spo type" you mean a coach who get's handed two and a half superstars then I'm all for it.

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

19. LFE171

LFE171 Member

Haha nice. Mr. Mean ftw!

20. pge71188

pge71188 Member

[​IMG]