1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Solomon] Adelman's career at crossroads

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by nathan8, Feb 14, 2011.

1. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I was going to post....but these comments hit my thoughts on the nose.

I'm sorting to wonder if Larry Brown should run things for a couple years. Best rebuilder in the history of the league.

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

LB did do an awesome job rebuilding the Knicks and Bobcats.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This season has really taken a turn for the worst.

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Quick, somebody get JVG on the phone! :eek:

5. Metropolis777

Metropolis777 Member

Thanks for the try Rick. Now what's Mario Elie's telephone number again?

6. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Not sure if serious.

7. mikeyc913

mikeyc913 Member

Bring back JVG!

8. BigBull17

BigBull17 Member

Hooray for trading young talent for old guys with no game! His "great defenses" were a product of boring you to death. No thanks. I want a new HC too, but not him.

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Brooks is a big piece for the Rox. On our court or if he is swapped for a significant piece. Giving up on AB would be insane. In-effing-sane.

I personally do not like the rotation, the doghouse, or the guess that RA and DM the GM are not on the same page. I am ready to be energized by Elston Turner. RA is OK, but this is not the right time and place for him IMHO.

10. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

it may not be a bad idea. i know ppl like a well-known name but things are changing and you can't live on the past glories. Mario is a tough guy and he might be a very good coach and just is waiting for his turn.

11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

If AB is a big piece for the Rockets, then we are in big trouble. Any team that depends on AB as the "big piece" will be destined for the lottery before the season even starts. The only reason he ever was a big piece was, because we desperately needed a scorer, something that AB seems no longer mentally able to do. The only reason you are seeing so much disappointment is that everyone else outside of the "Lowry Supporters" are finally seeing AB for what he really is, something that a few of us have known since the beginning, he is simply a scorer who cannot do anything else well. Now that he can't even score to offset his lack of ability to do anything else, it makes all his weaknesses glaringly obvious. I do hope that that AB gets back on track, if only so we can trade him for something good at this point in time, because with the way he is performing, he is hurting us on all fronts.

12. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

The team didn't screw him over. He came here thinking he had Yao and Tracy. They both fell apart, crap happens. He wasn't screwed over.

I like Rick and I hope The Roxs make him happy and keep him around. The guy wants to win, he's not a quitter. He doesn't tank, he believes winner consistently win, making the playoffs.
    Rick doesn't believe in "Tanking", he has pride. I'm sure he fills as many of us do, disgusted.

Rick, like us is anxious, wants to win, hoping for a trade to get some talent in here. This has dragged on and on. Brooks is not happy and there's too many guys and not enough minutes. Crowds in some positions weak at others, no true dominate player. Brooks was his guy and he fell apart as well. Everyone is worried about their contracts, including Rick.

Come on Daryl!!! Make Rick happy, get him some talent, size and a strong center. Then give him a fat contract and a hug.

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Please don't misparse my post. AB is a big piece not the big piece. Do you understand the difference?

AB is an NBA starting 1. That's good. The fact that he's playing like crapola is not to be considered his reality, just an unfortunate glitch in what will be a good NBA career. Let's see what Blazers offer for him.

14. yao2kmart

yao2kmart Member

JVG OR Jerry Sloan please DM! :)

15. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Of course I know the difference, but AB is not a big piece or THE big piece. Any team that relies on him as a big piece is in trouble. I also never did consider AB a legit starting 1 in the NBA. He is simply too limited, both physically and mentally to ever be a legit starting 1. AB is a scorer and that is it. I also agree that he will eventually break out of the slump, but the chances of him doing so in a Rockets jersey is becoming increasingly slim.

16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I really like Adelman as a coach and think he coached up the teams he had here. That said, some times it is just time for a change (both for the team and the coach) and I am afraid season end is that time.

Mario Elie has been in hot pursuit of a coaching job for years. And he may be a good candidate, but his pursuit and lack of success of getting a chance has me worried.

Here's two candidates I would look into (and both will bring immediate groans)... Bill Laimbeer and Michael Cooper. Both come from successful NBA careers, both focus on defense, both have had success as coaches at different levels.

Maybe Dwayne Casey, Mike Woodsen or Mike Brown. Or maybe Mark Jackson. And I know someone will bring up Mike Fratello.

17. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

It's a lose-lose with the fans for Adelman on Brooks, so he had to do what he thinks is best. If he doesn't play Brooks until the point that he has no choice but to bench him then fans complain that the Rockets "run their stars out of town" and "unfairly benched him like Tmac".

It's easy to imagine the fan complaints about how Brooks is unfairly getting benched and asking how is he supposed to prove he can still play if he isn't getting playing time, if Adelman wasn't giving him every opportunity to prove himself.

Eventually Brooks is going to play himself out of what play time he is getting if he can't step it up, but at least there will be enough on the court evidence that he was given a fair chance to dismiss conspiracy theories about why he would be losing that playing time.

1 person likes this.
  18. Metropolis777

Metropolis777 Member

The reason I bring up Mario is my theory that Houston teams must have homegrown coaches in order to win - see Rudy T, Larry Dierker, Phil Garner. It's a BS theory but one that I follow because so far it's the only one that's worked.

But seriously, has Mario actually interviewed for any of those jobs? If he has been bluntly turned down, then point taken. But, I wanted him over RA years ago.

I like all of those other names too. It will be interesting to see though. The only thing I'm certain of right now is that barring a trip to the Western Conference Finals, RA's contract will not be renewed. It happened with Chaney and JVG too. This organization - whether run by Thomas or Alexander - doesn't renew contracts if you aren't competing for championships.

19. Rocketboi

Rocketboi Member

If we lose adelman, were going to be a lottery team for the next couple of years, so we cant afford to lose him.

20. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Dead serious. If we rebuild, there needs to a teacher that can take kids running amuck and shape them into a basketball team.

Look at the Kings - young talent without serious direction leads you straight into the gutter.

Yes, you need to make sure you only give him a 3 year deal with the last year only partially guaranteed. Yes, you can't give him the power to trade half the roster away every two months....but Larry Brown is nearly untouchable as far as getting guys to play the right way.

Hard nosed about PG play, which is critical and terrible in half the league.

Slams home a focus on defense instead of stats.

Track Record:
    Took a joke of a Bobcats franchise and got them their only postseason appearance in a stunningly decent 2nd year under him.

Obviously didn't last long with the Knicks, with Isiah undermining him - there was a LOT of dead wood that had to get burned out, and he had Starbury, Francis, and Eddy Curry shoved down his throat. Bad season that only highlighted his warts - he's an ******* one-on-one with his players.

Took a good (but not elite) Detroit team and instantly made them champions. Best fit for him - blue collar guys that were defense first.

Philly - utterly irrelevant before him, winning record every year after his first season and a Finals appearance. Only one winning season since he left (43 wins).

Early 90s Pacers (Bob Hill) were a 0.500 also-ran, with him they enjoyed their Reggie-Smits-Jackson golden era.

Took over the Clippers when they were even a sadder joke of a franchise than they are now and got them into the playoffs both years he was there....and they've only been in the postseason 3 times in their history (3rd was the Sam Cassell led team). Sterling, of course, wasn't going to keep him around.

Took over a destitute Spurs team with nothing, and ushered in the David Robinson era (marking what was then the biggest W/L turnaround in NBA history). Losers in, Perennial Contenders out.

Took a 24-win Nets laughingstock franchise and immediately posted two winning seasons with them. Faded right back into obscurity after he left.

Before that he was winning handily with Denver as they merged from ABA to NBA.

He's not a guy you give a long contract to. He's not a guy you let run crazy in the front office. It's a good idea to have one or two assistants around just to keep touchy players from giving him a PJ Carlesimo special.

But he rights a ship. It's all he does. Give him two years with a disaster, and you'll be in the playoffs. Give him a 0.500 team to start with and you'll be humming the next spring.

Our roster (minus Brooks) lends itself to his kind of guys and system.

Les loves him and was his first choice ahead of JVG.

I would absolutely do it, provided the franchise is well aware of his faults.