1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Software] ITunes Alternatives

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by distence, Oct 16, 2007.

Tags:
  1. distence

distence Contributing Member

I know there is a thread for some other progs to get your music onto an ipod besides Itunes but the search function is not working. Any recommendations?

2. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

check iloungue.com

there are tons of thread about this.

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Fatty... see... this is how you do it, man... :D

4. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

I use XPlay by MediaFour (http://www.mediafour.com/). I like that it allows you to use drag-n-drop with your iPod (no syncing). You can also use Winamp to manage iPods.

Only thing that sucks is I haven't found an iTunes alternative to manage photos and video on my iPod. XPlay only handles music files.

5. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Does this work for the Iphone too?

6. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Don't know. I have a Nano (2nd gen). Their website says it works with "all iPods". There's a 30-day trial, if you want to give it a shot, but I think you need to uninstall iTunes first.

7. distence

seems like a pretty user-friendly prog...but its not compatible with Vista

8. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

I use anapod, which is awesome and means you don't have to keep a copy of you music on your pc if you don't want, although doesn't handle podcasts which is damn annoying

9. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

I use Winamp to sync music to my iPod and, so far, it's been pretty good. I keep my music in .flac format which iPods can't use but Winamp will take the file and transcode it to mp3 (or aac I think) and then sync it to the device. Because I use .flac I can't use iTunes and have to use something like Winamp. You can also create playlists for you iPod as well.

I still use iTunes to sync pictures as I haven't figured out how to do that via Winamp. I don't watch movies on my iPod so I can't help you there.

BTW, I have an iPod Shuffle (gift from work) and an 80GB iPod Video.

It's not perfect. Occasionally Winamp will crash and sometimes files seem to get corrupted but it's all easily fixed (delete the file with the weird characters and then re-sync). There's another program called Media Monkey that is supposed to sync to iPods so you may want to check that out as well.

10. MontyMarch

MontyMarch Member

PoddoX or yamipod

11. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

So you are saying I can download Ipods from these other sites? What about the iPhone?

12. TraJ

TraJ Member

13. distence

has anyone run across new software as an alternative to ITunes? i would like to be able to put the same music on 2 different ipods. we are setting up our ipods for a party and would like to have the same music on a backup ipod. anyone have experience with Sharepod program?

14. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Songbird is an open source clone. I played around w/ it before, it's ok but fell a little short so I stick w/ iTunes.

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Why can't you use iTunes to do this? I put the same music on my Touch and Shuffle all the time using iTunes.

16. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

I thought the rule was "only 1 iTunes can be synced to an iPod" not "only 1 iPod can be synced to this iTunes"

I have a shuffle and an old iPod, both uses the same iTunes without a problem

17. distence

so you are saying i can sync my ipod to my wife's itunes even though i have my own itunes synced with my ipod? if this is the case then it will it wipe out any music i have currently on my ipod and replace it with music from her itunes? once the party is over will i have any issues resyncing with my itunes?

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I don't ever sync music. I just sync photos and applications on my Touch. This enables me to simply drag and drop the music that I want to any of our iPods without losing anything.