1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Social Networks

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BrieflySpeaking, Mar 13, 2013.

1. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

I'm a heavy user of social networks. I have Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Clutchfans (I kid :eek:). In a way, you can actually look at the BBS as a social network since it distracts many of us from our daily tasks and we socialize through here ;). Anyway, out of these 3 social networks I'm heavily active on 2 (FB and IG).

Last night I was thinking to myself. What if I just deactivate all of them (except Twitter since I spend minimal time on it and I use it for news, sports etc..). What if I just completely go cold turkey on these things? I really don't need them. Who does? These social networks have come to ruin so many of us today. You can't walk around a campus without seeing people glued to their damn phones. It's sad, really. And I just think about how older generations actually got more **** done and were less dependent on technology. It's just amazing how much has changed since the older years. SN are a problem for many and just happen to be a burden at times, but probably more on students.

With me, I know when to use a SN and when not to, like at work or class. It's only when I'm home that it takes time away from tasks that have first priority (studying). But besides that, SN's are really not necessary. I respect those that never got on SN's for whatever reason, or have opted to deactivate them -- and I'd like to be one of those people.

So you guys that don't have social networks: what has kept you from not registering?

And people with SN's: why not delete them?

#1 BrieflySpeaking, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  2. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Privacy and a prudent paranoia about giving for-profit companies access to any unnessecary aspect of my life.

3. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

don't do it dude, you'll go catabolic

4. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

i use facebook everyday, but a while ago i got rid of it for about 4 months. i think it's healthy to unplug for a while, but i eventually felt like i needed to go back because my friends made a group on there which they use to organize get togethers, plans to go out, meeting up for basketball and all that.

lately i've been wanting to get rid of it again, but i still need to keep in contact with my friends on current events within the group and such.

5. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I had Facebook and deleted it. I did so because I was just getting out of college, didn't care to keep in touch with a lot of people on there, and didn't want any potential employers fishing for information on it. I now spend my days using my phone for calls, and pursuing real hobbies, as opposed to "liking" things.

6. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

i actually just deactivated mine. let's see how it goes this time

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I didn't deactivate, but I stopped using Facebook just to browse. Now the only time I go on is if I have a notification or I want to talk to somebody.

I sense that Facebook is becoming less and less popular in 2013 but that's just in my experiences.

8. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

no facebook for almost a year now. this june will be 1 year

this is easier than no fapping to be honest

i spend more time on here so i don't think it actually helped me get off the computer :(

freaking internet. y u no leave me alone?!

9. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

I only use Shwitter.

10. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Goodluck
    [​IMG]

11. rawool

rawool Member

I didn't deactivate, just limited myself. People often say they deactivate to save time, but for the average user, at most you're saving a day is like 10-15 minutes. I think the major reason people tend to deactivate is because of the garbage posted. Emotions are unnecessarily provoked by the constant pretentious, emo, useless and/or annoying statuses and photos.

12. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

SN are only a problem if you let it consume your life. i'm glad FB exists. i have enough self restraint not to log in every hour on the hour and not post every thing that goes on in my life. at the same time, i enjoy keeping in contact with some really great friends.

13. DreamRoxCoogFan

I deactivated facebook in January for good. I was originally going to delete it, but I decided to have it just in case of an emergency (past experiences have shown it's value in that). Other than that, I think fb is a huge waste of time. The ONLY exception is if you're in college- that's the whole reason it started and the real purpose of its use.

14. iamthejustness

As with anything, its boils down to control and balance. Are the negatives beginning to outweigh the positive impact on my life?

Facebook, alcohol, love, work, food, drugs, television, money.

I have Facebook. It is very useful for coordinating with a large group of friends/family and remembering birthdays.

I make heavy use of Twitter prior to the NBA trade deadline. That one has almost zero positive and/or actual impact on my life. Lack of control for me here.

15. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I deactivated FB on my birthday in 2011. The cause? I was receiving happy birthday messages from my "friends" whom I am pretty sure that I never had a conversation with EVER in my entire life.

Do I say "thank you" to these people? Do I only say "thank you" to the people I actually knew and communicated with outside of FB? What if the people I didn't say "thank you" to got upset with me for the people that I thanked?

I decided, on that day, that I never wanted to have such a dilemma again, and poof! Deactivated!

16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I only use Twitter. It's all I need. I look at it as a messenger app except you can talk to so many people in the world about so many things. Get quick updates. Doesn't take much time to skim your timeline a few times a day. Doesn't allow people to talk too much. People who say stupid ish don't survive very long. Little emphasis on showing off bios and photos and videos etc. Really good and non-intrusive business networking tool.

17. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

Only psychos don't have facebook.

18. thisiscaketown

Facebook is pretty useful as an online event planner, but that's pretty much all I use it for nowadays.

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I use facebook every day, it's not any more time wasting than clutchfans and its not like it consumes your life like some of you seem to be claiming

Twitter on the other hand is totally useless imo. It offers me nothing

1 person likes this.
  20. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

personally, i'm trying to cut down