1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Soccer] Women World Cup

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by daywalker02, Jul 28, 2023.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I guess I start a thread for those that bet on the games.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You bet on their games? How's that going?

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Surprisingly.

I cannot complain, fewer underdog wins, naturally it is new territory for me.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Morocco and Colombia.....ah well.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Women's soccer has far fewer upsets, the haves generally have the and the have nots generally don't have.

DD

rhino17 and Yung-T like this.
  6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I always watch but haven’t at all this tournament since the games have been on at like 2 am

I still rep my Rapinoe Jersey

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

usually the Women's World Cup is pretty hype. feels like no one is talking about this at all. Time differences never stopped the hype before. It's weird. Also there is finally real turnover from like a million world cups of the same women. you don't know any of the new people. there is no star power.

i wonder what the ratings are like for FOX because it doesn't feel special

Yung-T, daywalker02 and rhino17 like this.
  8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

USA in danger of being bounced from the world cup.

9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

starting to realize why none of the next gen children could supplant the vets who had been to 1 trillion world cups. if some of those older players didn't get hurt or retire they would probably still be on this team. Rapinoe is 40 and she's still coming in off the bench, lol

10. PhiSlammaJamma

Thought they looked good in the first 30 minutes. Dominating aggressiveness in all thirds. Strong passing. But ultimately, they never created any chances. Portugal had two great opportunities to send us home.

Not a fan of the short corners to the near post. To the USA's credit they have scored one goal on that set so far, but the angle is so challenging to score a header I don't like it. Morgan tends to be near post a lot too, and it just seems like getting a shot on frame is so hard from that angle.

Rapinoe had one nice pass, but overall, her passing and corners were inaccurate and weak. And she looked slow. I'd keep it on the bench.

I have not watched them all year, but they don't seems have an it girl who can put it on frame, nor a real playmaker. And that makes for a deathroll.

DreamShook and daywalker02 like this.
  11. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I wasn't impressed when I watched their game against Vietnam. They looked very indecisive in the final third. I missed the Netherlands game, and this Portugal game was way too late to watch.

What's going on with the USWNT? They have not looked good at all. What time is the round of 16 game? I need to make note of it.

12. DaDakota

By far the worst USWNT ever - these girls lack skill, touch, and movement - they look like a bad club team that tries to beat you with speed over the top.

No way we win the cup.

DD

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Jamaica, RSA In. Brazil, Italy Out.

DreamShook and Yung-T like this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Crazies.

15. leroy

These women absolutely do not lack skill, touch, or movement. These are supremely skilled and intelligent players. They currently lack appropriate coaching. He is doing a terrible job of putting his players in position to succeed. Granted, pre-tourney injuries have played a big part in this as it's forced some tough decisions (Julie Ertz playing in the back line as opposed to the midfield is a prime example). But only one sub against the Netherlands and then subbing only the left sided players against Portugal was strange. I grant you that they have not played well...but it looks like a staff that is having them play not to lose rather than being the free flowing, dominant, bash-you-over-the-head team that we usually are. Something is off and it's coming from the top. Regardless of the outcome, I don't see Vlatko continuing as head coach after they're done. Had that shot for Portugal gone in towards the end, he wouldn't have made the flight home.

Why speak in such absolutes like "the worst USWNT ever"? That's a pretty asinine statement as it's a crazy impossible standard to live up to considering they've never finished worse than 3rd. Yeah...they might beat Sweden and Japan but lose in the semis and finish 4th. That, technically, would be the worst USWNT World Cup ever. But put that in at least some perspective.

16. DaDakota

Because it is the worst USWNT ever, from the coaching to the pitch, they suck - the touch and movement are abysmal - Rodman has BRICKS for feet....they lack skill, they lack understanding, this is a terrible team....there are gaps in skill all over the pitch, the Netherlands DESTROYED them with pressure, they passed the ball out of bounds for crying out loud.

The rest of the world has caught up in women's soccer - they have PROPER coaching now, our ECNL level of youth soccer is not as good as playing on a youth team in the PREM.

Our advantage of being the nation that STARTED the Women's game is gone - and this team is awful - you can blame the coach, I am fine with that too, but it is not all the coach when the decisions on the pitch lack proper Soccer IQ

DD

17. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

4am on Sunday? No, thanks.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Ponytails as far as the eye can see.

19. leroy

Not going to argue "soccer iq" with people who've only lived vicariously through their kids.

20. DaDakota

I played too Leroy......I know the game as well as anyone, we can agree to disagree, but I don't see a lot of creativity out of this women's team....

DD